Thread: The Pretty Reckless - I Got The Memo But Didn't Read It

The Pretty Reckless - I Got The Memo But Didn't Read It

Yeah, I missed the boat on this band. I didn't put two and two together when I saw Taylor Momsen - the singer - on That Metal Show with the song Heaven Knows. The Studio version of that song leaves me lacking a bit with the children's choir as it seems to be trying to hard t be a anthem.

I just filed the band away for one to check out and see but never got around to it. Until someone forced me to. So someone put down the lyrics to Take Me Down. I thought playing off the Crossroads story was cool and then I heard the song.

Yeah, it kinda caught me. So I went home and did some pulled up some tunes on Youtube, live stuff, and was wowed.

Totally digging her voice and the songs are old school yet new school. More hard rock but on the fringes of metal and her voice, with that rather damned good band. Not prog at all, or anything of that bent which usually is my leanings these days as most hard rock/heavy metal kinda bites.

Just cool songs.

So, I'll leave a couple videos.

Take Me Down, acoustic as I can't find a good recorded rock version.

Follow Me Down

Concert from iHeart radio festival. With a nod to Pink Floyd at the beginning of Heaven Knows which is really cool.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm not shocked or angry that no one picked this up but I am a wee bit surprised. I do think this is a pretty cool rock band but oh well, it happens.

Anyway, I'll be picking up their newest some time here in the future, once I remember when I'm out to go to the record store, as I feel that's the least I can do to support a band I dig. One song has Warren Haynes on it and from the Rock In Rio show, that unfortunately for me happened here and I missed it, they do a bit of tribute bits in their songs. Floyd and Cream are the two I remember and I believe there was a third but maybe not.

They may not be from my generation but they are willing to recognize some of the giants of rock and that's cool in my book.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    No my style but I did watch the live show - she does have a nice voice.

Thanks for posting. I have heard of them, but never actually heard their stuff. Very cool.

I've downloaded a few of their tracks. I love her voice & the acoustic based tunes. Regular rotational music, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Thanks for posting. I have heard of them, but never actually heard their stuff. Very cool.
    I heard a song by them on the radio and liked it enough to write their name down for future reference.

Ok, picked up the new one Who You Selling For yesterday and the 2014 Going To Hell today.

Listened to Who You Selling For yesterday and there's a problem. My computers speakers suck so I really couldn't hear the album. I never thought to pull out the headphones so I will do that and listen to both albums soon.

The tunes ranged from ok to really good rock songs at first listen. Some may take time to grow on me. The Warren Haynes song Back To The River has some cool slide guitar in it. There were four or five that stood out as rather cool and the rest, well, I'll have to hear it properly. My speakers really suck for music. Not so bad with people talking and what not but they just can't handle internally played music. Most Youtube vids I can listen to without much rumbling so go figure that.

ETA: Taylor Momsen was in the Grinch with Jim Carrey.

ETA 2: Black Sabbath - War Pigs is the other song they referenced. I knew I wasn't tripping.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 12-14-2016 at 08:09 AM.