Thread: Rest in peace, Mose Allison

Rest in peace, Mose Allison

Just saw this.

Big fan of his songs, his piano work, his vocals and his ... everything!

Saw him once and he was a consumate, wry entertainer.

rest in peace, Mose.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Also a major influence on some very important 60s artists- Pete Townshend ('Young Man Blues', of course, and 'Eyesight To The Blind' was inspired by Allison's version), Georgie Fame, Van Morrison. The latter two even did a tribute album to him.

RIP.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Saw him once as well. 2016 is a horrible year and it's not over yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too saw him (twice). Mose destroyed several stereotypes. RIP.

Madison resident & former Steve Miller Band original member Ben Sidran basically channels Mose in both his piano playing and vocal phrasing & style.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've heard of him because my dad was into jazz and jazzy stuff. For some reason his passing wasn't mentioned on the news though(unlike Leon Russell and Leonard Cohen). RIP.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-15-2016 at 07:35 PM.

RIP.

Alvin Lee imitated his vocal style on some Ten Years After songs as well.

Don't know much about Mose... except that I freaked out over the song "Ain't Got Nothin But the Blues" as done by Robben Ford. I am positive his work would be worth looking into. Any recommendations for a starting point?
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

My wife is a fan, I tagged along to a Blues Alley show a few years back.
    Very nice show. A true artist. RIP
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    Don't know much about Mose... except that I freaked out over the song "Ain't Got Nothin But the Blues" as done by Robben Ford. I am positive his work would be worth looking into. Any recommendations for a starting point?
    His Atlantic albums recorded in the 1960s contain his best known songs. I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues goes back to the 30s. It was written by Duke Ellington, and later recorded by Allison. But Robben Ford did a nice version with some very tasty guitar work.

Dammit, i should have known when i heard 3 Mose tunes on the radio what was up. One of my biggest regrets in life was never taking the opportunity to see Mr Allison. Holy crap, Leonard Cohen, Leon Russel and Mose Allison all within a week.
    The sad reality is these old greats are gonna just keep dropping off until there aren't any left because there damn sure are hardly any artist of this caliber to replace them.

His last studio album The Way Of The World was a damn fine record to end his legacy.

RIP

Damn! I was just starting to discover him and his music, as in, within the last few months. Very sad!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

May he Rest In Power. And of special interest to PE types, he recorded a live album with Jack Bruce and Billy Cobham entitled "Lessons In Living". Eric Gale and Lou Donaldson were also featured.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    May he Rest In Power. And of special interest to PE types, he recorded a live album with Jack Bruce and Billy Cobham entitled "Lessons In Living".
    He recorded a satirical song about going electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    He recorded a satirical song about going electric.
    ha!

never heard that one! thanks.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Yeah, a giant. We're losing them, some too young. Mose lived a good long life, thankfully. And his records were excellent up to the end. I love the last one as well as "Ever Since The World Ended" from whence the song above comes. Classic. Rest in peace, brother Mose :P
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Another one he pretty much popularised in his arrangement which was much-covered was 'Parchman Farm'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Another one he pretty much popularised in his arrangement which was much-covered was 'Parchman Farm'.
    Cactus' version in 1970 killed me, and still does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk