Thread: Should I buy this?

Should I buy this?

The local Friends Of The Library has this ELP box set for $15: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Re..._the_Manticore

Never been into ELP, tried, but no dice. Had a couple of friends who listened constantly, but I didn't. Should I get it anyway? I have the money.

Fifteen bucks for a 4-CD boxed set that is now out of print? Yes, yes you should buy it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Buy it. That's a steal. Force yourself to like them.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

For me it was a great purchase.. with that said I got it years ago thru one of those "Buy 1 get 12 free" deals that BMG offered before they closed the door on including boxsets with that offer.. Come to think of it.. I got 4 or 5 boxsets that way.. But more to your question.. if ELP isn't your cuppa tea.. why waste your money..

This is one I wish they'd re-release (see also Yesyears). I don't have it but I note there are various tracks which were never on anything else. And it seems a solid enough anthology, albeit with a scattershot running order.

I don't have it either but wish I did.

If you don't care for ELP you'd probably be able to find somebody who does and sell it to them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

That's quite the deal if you have any interest in ELP. I paid about $50.00 for it 20 years ago and it was used.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Jon Neudorf
    Can't go wrong. It's the only ELP that I have and I have enjoyed it immensely. Pretty good overview for sure.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Hell, buy it and flip it.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Buy it. That's a steal. Force yourself to like them.
    Lol, that's some funny sheee rat there. :*D

The Enemy God
    Great boxed set bought 20 years ago, the re recorded pre ELP tracks are interesting and there are some unreleased gems too, booklet is also very good.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    Great boxed set bought 20 years ago, the re recorded pre ELP tracks are interesting and there are some unreleased gems too, booklet is also very good.
    what was interesting about the rerecorded stuff? I'm asking because I haven't heard the set before.

This is a very good deal also.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emerson-Lake...AAAOSwx2dYIYWt
    I've seen these go for 4.99 several times on eBay. The Pictures At An Exhibition edit makes this very worthwhile.

Worth it just to hear ELP do 21st Century Schizoid Man.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Worth it just to hear ELP do 21st Century Schizoid Man.
    Carl Palmer just played a version of that on his most recent tour! (much to my surprise.)

Update: I went back to get it and it was gone.

Verdict: Snooze ya lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Update: I went back to get it and it was gone.

Verdict: Snooze ya lose.
    Of course it was! That was way too good of a deal to last three weeks.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    what was interesting about the rerecorded stuff? I'm asking because I haven't heard the set before.
    I like ELP's cover of "Fire".
    Laura

I'd like to see this and the 'official bootleg' boxes reissued, instead of endless reissues of the core ELP catalogue. It's not even really out of date, there was only one more studio album after this box came out, which isn't exactly popular.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'd like to see this and the 'official bootleg' boxes reissued, instead of endless reissues of the core ELP catalogue. It's not even really out of date, there was only one more studio album after this box came out, which isn't exactly popular.
    I agree with you. Incidentally, In the Hot Seat is the only ELP studio album I don't own.

Update: I purchased In the Hot Seat to complete my ELP collection.
    Last edited by lak611; 01-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    Laura