Thread: When Yes smells like Phish?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

When Yes smells like Phish?

As some here know, I was hospitalized a hundred miles from home for the last two weeks, returning home yesterday (yay!). While I try to keep my work email free from private pursuits, I have a few work-related prog correspondents whom contact me there. Here's what I found in my inbox yesterday when I checked same from home:

"Yes Concert
    Shirley Baker [shirbakes@yahoo.com]

Hi Eric,

I hope you don't find this too odd (especially after three years), but I wondered if we could correspond. We sat together at that concert and chatted and I have a curiosity about that evening. If you would let me know either way, I would appreciate it.

Your seatmate at the concert,

Karen"

Ok you tech-savvy prog aficianados. WTF is this? I certainly am not replying and have no recollection of the aforementioned chat. I do attend Yes shows solo but again, no recall of Karen/Shirley. Wazzup here?

Thanks, Rick

On Zappateers I've seen a few example of spambots lately doing a better (but not entirely convincing) job of generating messages that seem legit.

Is there online evidence that you were at that concert that could be linked with your email address? e.g. a review or forum post on it at a site where your email address could be obtained? If so, it may be an old-fashioned human authored email scam whereby some asshole will attempt to build a relationship of trust with you before undergoing some awful woes where your financial assistance would be a matter of life and death, medical expenses is a good one.

Alternatively, did you send anyone email about that concert from that address? If so their email may have been hacked, their inbox read, and see above.

Regardless of the exact nature of the scam, I don't see any world where this could be on the level.

My guess is if you reply, he or she will try to befriend you...the next thing you know you will have willingly sent he/she a lot of money.

You should respond to "her" and apologize for the delay in getting back to "her" and then go immediately into YOUR recent (and all to real) woes and ask HER for money. !!!!!
    G.A.S -aholic

This is a clever scam. Very personalized. I guess no one wants $50 million from the deposed prince of Nigeria any more!

But why would the scamsters send it out with a name of "Shirley" on the email address but then "Karen" in the email itself? seems like a dumb mistake/

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    This is a clever scam. Very personalized. I guess no one wants $50 million from the deposed prince of Nigeria any more!

But why would the scamsters send it out with a name of "Shirley" on the email address but then "Karen" in the email itself? seems like a dumb mistake/
    Just got an email yesterday with the same deal.. second time I've seen this.. need to check with my email provider.. they are usually really good at sorting out spam. But this one is very personalized but much like the above.. two different names involved. Obviously smells like a scam..

Eric, pretend that the premise is legit. Tell them that you lament not having anyone to talk about Yes with, and you are so glad she made contact, so that ongoing Yes discussion can continue.

Then, bombard them with comments and questions about Yes. The more outlandish, the better. When the request for money comes, ignore it. Don't turn them down, just ignore it. However, continue to blow up their inbox with Yes related chatter.

It will drive them up the fucking wall.

Keep it up until they block your email address.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Eric, pretend that the premise is legit. Tell them that you lament not having anyone to talk about Yes with, and you are so glad she made contact, so that ongoing Yes discussion can continue.

Then, bombard them with comments and questions about Yes. The more outlandish, the better. When the request for money comes, ignore it. Don't turn them down, just ignore it. However, continue to blow up their inbox with Yes related chatter.
    I suggest every day sending her/him some choice quotes from the recent ARW thread.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I suggest every day sending her/him some choice quotes from the recent ARW thread.
    Yeah, it could be easily done. Go to Yesfans and copy and paste a bunch of unrelated Yes stuff into a text file, cobble it together and paste it into an email. Would take about 5 minutes.