Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Your favorite double live albums

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, yeah, maybe in your mind, all these years later, it seems that way, but back in 1980, Tony, Geezer, Bill, and Ronnie were most definitely not happy to see Live At Last hit the shops more or at less at the same time as Heaven And Hell. It surely wasn't a coincidence that a live album by the old lineup, put out by the band's former management, came out just at the same as the new lineup was making it's debut.

No doubt they didn't welcome it.... Probably part of a Arden father & daughter ploy and plot... among with a cruddy

But from memory, none of us teens were really interested in the live at last thing, when the Dio -era album hit the radio waves hard ..; I remember discussing this in HS with a few metalheads, and we all agreed it very interesting

I'm not sure it even sold much at the time or release... And retrospectively, it didn't cast a shadow on the Dio albums.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Back to the 'Stones, I think what's on Still Life isn't bad (certainly better than Love You Live) with a few songs they never did in the studio and welcome performances of earlier Brian Jones-era songs which became rarer on subsequent tours. However, it sells the '81 tour short. This was a good time for the band, a few really big hit albums and singles in succession, but its shortened length makes it come across like product and the tour deserved better. A double would have been better...maybe as a tie-in with that (equally butchered) Let's Spend The Night Together film. I have a soft spot for the Let's Spend The Night Together film. I've become somewhat dubious about stadium rock shows (having been to one!)...but when I was young, I was amazed by the open-air footage in this film. And it's still 4/5 of the original band of course (plus Ian Stewart!), which counts for a lot with me.

Did anyone mention Rainbow's On Stage?
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-14-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Back to the 'Stones, I think what's on Still Life isn't bad (certainly better than Love You Live) with a few songs they never did in the studio and welcome performances of earlier Brian Jones-era songs which became rarer on subsequent tours. However, it sells the '81 tour short. This was a good time for the band, a few really big hit albums and singles in succession, but its shortened length makes it come across like product and the tour deserved better. A double would have been better...maybe as a tie-in with that (equally butchered) Let's Spend The Night Together film.
    Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. Still Life was the first Stones album I owned, and as such, that's how I first heard most of those songs (most definitely how I first heard the covers). Given how much of a big deal that tour was, it deserved to be commemorated in a more deluxe fashion

And I agree it was a shame they left off Hang Fire (though I actually prefer the studio version over any live versions I've heard), She's So Cold, Beast Of Burden, Neighbours, etc. And they also cut a chunk out of, I think, Just My Imagination.

I can imagine they probably didn't want to include any of the songs that had been on Love You Live, but still, I think they could have still pieced together a good double album, by adding, if nothing else, the songs from Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You, and Some Girls that were played on that tour.

As for Let's Spend The Night Together, that's a strange film. It seems like much of it was filmed with cameras equipped with "spy" lens, like paparazzi use. There's a lot of shots where it's clear the cinematographers are about as far away from the stage as many of the fans up in the nosebleed seats.

And then there's the editing: there's random shots dropped into some of the songs, like shots of Mick walking around somewhere, or the sort of "edited highlights" shots during I'm So Cold. One of my favorite shots is Woody running across the stage, past Keith, who has a "WTF?!" look on his face. and behind the stage backdrop, like he's running laps or something.

And I forget which song has that montage of shots of Charlie and Bill apparently waiting for the next song to start. Love the shot of Bill lighting a cigarette and sticking the lighter in his pocket just in time to start the next song, as well as the shot of him stepping off a moving riser, as if to suggest he was expecting it to start moving while he was standing on it.

And there's a shot in, I think, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, of Keith sitting on the edge of the stage with a bottle of Jack Daniels in his hands. Just like random stuff inserting into the songs, like Hal Ashby couldn't figure out a better place for what he presumably thought was some of the better footage he got of the band.

From what I gather, a lot of the songs that were on Still Life were actually taken from the Hampton Roads concert, which was also the very first pay-per-view concert (or so I'm told, anyway), and has since been released in it's entirety. According to Wikipedia, the album is compiled from shows at Hampton Roads, and Brendan Byrne Arena (which I think is where the indoor footage in Let's Spend The Night Together was shot).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-24-2016 at 10:27 PM.

The Stones have done a decent job of issuing a lot of concerts from '75 and beyond in their From the Vault series. Some of them are quite good, like the '90 Tokyo Dome and '82 Leeds shows. I just wish they'd do a decent release of something from '72 but at least we can get the audio from the Ladies and Gentleman DVD.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Can't believe no one mentioned Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus.

I have a soft spot for the Let's Spend The Night Together film. I've become somewhat dubious about stadium rock shows (having been to one!)...but when I was young, I was amazed by the open-air footage in this film. And it's still 4/5 of the original band of course (plus Ian Stewart!), which counts for a lot with me.
    You've also got Ian MacLagen playing keyboards on the songs Stu didn't feel like playing on, as well as Ernie Watts and Bobby Keys on sax. I never understood, not even when I was 10 years old, why the Stones needed two keyboardists, but some years back I read that Stu didn't like playing minor chords, so if there was a given song that had too many of them, he'd defer to whoever the band had brought on that particular tour (I believe on the a couple of the mid 70's tours it was Billy Preston, but on the Some Girls and Tattoo You tours, it was MacLagen). And of course, the band was fiercely loyal to Stu, so they weren't about to fire him over such matters.

Their best keyboard combo was the era when Stu was matched with Nicky Hopkins. But Nicky only toured with them in the early 70s, he was pretty much done after the '73 Australian tour. Still, he plays on the bulk of Ladies and Gentlemen. I think Stu only plays on the Chuck Berry cover (major chords!).

Which 80s album is it that has the little snippet of Stu playing at the end? Most critics seized on it as the only moment with heart and soul on the whole album.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

Which 80s album is it that has the little snippet of Stu playing at the end? Most critics seized on it as the only moment with heart and soul on the whole album.
    I think that was Dirty Work, as I recall it was recorded just before, but released after, Stu passed away. I haven't listened to that album in so long, I don't even remember the hidden track.

Another one that I don't think was mentionned is Skynyrd's One More For The Road...

Hardly one of my fave, though, as all I need from them is the stupendous debut Pronounced

Did anyone mention Rainbow's On Stage?
    See my post on page 1
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You guys have done an excellent job submitting everything that would ordinarily be on my list. About the only one I can think of not already mentioned would be Herbie Hancock / Flood.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm gonna have to hear that one [Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus] again one of these days. I can't imagine why, but I remember not being very impressed with it at the time. I knew that version of All That You Dream from the Over The Edge soundtrack, but I remember not liking most of the rest of the album, apart from a couple slide guitar solos. Maybe I was expecting something different, I dunno. But I need to give that one another shot.
    Maybe you do not need to. Waiting For Columbus shows Little Feat in a relative decline and is a heavily overdubbed affair. These days there is no shortage of live material from the band's peak, including the dates at the Ultrasonic Studios, Long Island, Sept 1974 (aka "Electrif Lycanthrope"), Orpheum Theater, Boston, Oct 1975 (aka "Hellzapoppin") or Winterland, San Francisco, Feb 1976 (aka "St. Valentine's Day Massacre").

Neither has the studio sound quality of WfC, but performance-wise they wipe the floor with that overrated "live" album IMO.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 12-08-2016 at 06:01 AM.

I downloaded the Winterland 76 and Boston 75 shows off Internet Archives. They're still there along with a few hundred other Feat shows.

https://archive.org/details/lf1975-10-31

I don't think Little Feat is in decline so much on WfC as they are moving in a more funk/jazz direction as Lowell is losing his grip. These things happen to people who record a gospel homage to their favorite flavor of heroin

Stay tuned for the Gipfelsturm (starting around the 5 minute mark)

Seconds out
    Three sides live
    Kiss Alive!
    Bursting Out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    I like these performances from the tour supporting the 'Security' album. This particular lineup of musicians had it going on. Was disappointed that there are overdubs, but the music is energizing.
    Peter Gabriel Plays Live was really something mindblowing back in the day and still sounds very nice to me; personally, I don't care for overdubs in the case of Peter Gabriel.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-22-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Can't believe no one mentioned Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus.
    See Skeptrick's and also mine post on page 1.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I played Yes Shows tonight - a fine double album. Not sure if it's already been mentioned (probably).

I believe one of the reissues of the Who's "Live at Leeds" has got to at least be a double. This is one of the great live albums ever released, IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I believe one of the reissues of the Who's "Live at Leeds" has got to at least be a double. This is one of the great live albums ever released, IMHO!
    The first expanded edition I believe was the equivalent of a double LP, I believe. The second one, which was a double CD, added Tommy (or most of it, anyway) was probably closer to a three or four LP.