Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here We Go Again (Genesis Reunion Rumors)

Here We Go Again (Genesis Reunion Rumors)

The Prog Corner

Hey, I'd go. I enjoyed the 2007 tour. It would be cool if Hackett was somehow involved, but he doesn't seem to be regarded by the other three as a "real" member of the band.

Make it so!

I would love for them to get Hackett in the band and do an Invisible Touch Revisited tour. I would like to hear him add some guitar to those tracks, especially Domino.

Oh for crying out loud. Enough already. No, I am not the least bit interested in another 3 man Genesis reunion. I wouldn't be all that interested in a 5 man Genesis reunion for that matter (and I love PG Genesis........I just think it would be a pale shadow of what they were as young men, because that it just how it is).

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Oh for crying out loud. Enough already. No, I am not the least bit interested in another 3 man Genesis reunion. I wouldn't be all that interested in a 5 man Genesis reunion for that matter (and I love PG Genesis........I just think it would be a pale shadow of what they were as young men, because that it just how it is).
    I strongly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I strongly disagree.
    I certainly could be wrong about a 5 man reunion not being worth it. However, we are not going to get that, and I have no desire to see the 3 man version. You may well feel differently.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I didn't go in 2007 and I wouldn't go to a 3-man re-reunion show. If they are men enough to include Steve Hackett, I'll be there with bells on. We all know Steve would do it in a heartbeat and he's clearly on the top of his game with all the old material. Peter Gabriel will never do it, unfortunately.
    Chad

Sorry to rain on this, but Collins seems to say "Hey, I'm willing" everytime he's asked. That doesn't mean the others have even considered it, and it looks like actual plans aren't even close to being made..

I certainly could be wrong about a 5 man reunion not being worth it. However, we are not going to get that, and I have no desire to see the 3 man version. You may well feel differently.
    I do.

I've never seen any lineup of Genesis, so I would jump at the chance.

Still highly unlikely it will ever happen.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought the 2007 reunion was simply horrible. I doubt they would ever consider Steve if they reformed for a tour - I'm sure they'd be no new music.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought the 2007 reunion was simply horrible. I doubt they would ever consider Steve if they reformed for a tour - I'm sure they'd be no new music.
    What exactly was horrible about it? Song selection? Performance?

Judging by the turnout and ticket sales, and reception to the CD/DVD releases from that tour, I'd say you are probably in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought that 2007 was reasonably strong. Nice setlist. Good playing. I didn't mind the down-tuning. But to each his own.

How would they be in 2017 or 18? Who knows? But yeah I would go, regardless of the lineup, if they were within 2-3 hours of me. I only saw them once, in '86, so I could definitely take in another show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I didn't go in 2007 and I wouldn't go to a 3-man re-reunion show. If they are men enough to include Steve Hackett, I'll be there with bells on. We all know Steve would do it in a heartbeat and he's clearly on the top of his game with all the old material. Peter Gabriel will never do it, unfortunately.
    Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What exactly was horrible about it? Song selection? Performance?
    Downtuning is evil
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I can't see this happening either but there would be some interesting possibilities. Either with or without Hackett, make it mostly 70s songs with some early 80s off of Duke with little from Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance. Not playing Calling All Stations is a given despite it being better than half the 80s material.

Songs from the 2007 Tour after Duke: "The Domino," "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight," "I Can't Dance", "Throwing It All Away", "Land of Confusion" and "No Son of Mine".

The first two can stay, but the rest have to make way for 70s songs. (Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of things by creating a negative set list for a show that isn't likely to happen. Then again, The Cubs came back from 1 - 3.)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Sorry to rain on this, but Collins seems to say "Hey, I'm willing" everytime he's asked. That doesn't mean the others have even considered it, and it looks like actual plans aren't even close to being made..
    Exactly. If it did happen, I wouldn't even call it a reunion. I'd just call it another tour without a new album.

We've had Brexit, The Cubs and Trump. I'll put money on a Lamb-era lineup reunion, Eno included.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nailed it.

Downtuning is evil
    Not sure how to respond to the "men enough to include Steve Hackett" comment.

And now that Hackett has done multiple tours of "Genesis Revisited", we don't know for sure that he would put aside solo plans for a Genesis reunion. But I guess that doesn't matter, because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Regarding the downtuning, I don't think there were many alternatives to that particular option.

I strongly agree.

However, I might go see a 4 man reunion, just for Steve's sake. Wouldn't be expecting much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I strongly agree.

However, I might go see a 4 man reunion, just for Steve's sake. Wouldn't be expecting much, though.
    I respect the feelings of those who don't care to see Genesis reunite. But what I disagree with is the sentiment some have that they shouldn't do it just because those individuals don't want them to or don't think they should. If the band members want to get together again to play live because they enjoy it and they miss doing it, why fault them for that? They seem born to music. I say let them play together again, if the mood strikes them. You can always choose to stay home.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that I would care about it if it was only the 3-man band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm not saying that they shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that I would care about it if it was only the 3-man band.
    I hear ya. And my comment wasn't directed at you; I didn't intend to put words in your mouth.

Also, it's totally understandable if someone doesn't care to see the 3-man band. The music from that era of the band is not for everyone, and that's okay.

I love a lot of the music from that era. But....they did that, already. Give me something new - new material, new reunion, whatever.

I prefer remembering them when they were young and capable to perform with power and energy.
    Even the 2007 tour has been a stretch.
    So, no, it's better they don't ever think of touring again.

I love a lot of the music from that era. But....they did that, already. Give me something new - new material, new reunion, whatever.
    Yeah, I would love some new material that's for sure. But at this point in time, I'd just be glad to see them in any configuration. It could be Mike, Tony, and Phil on washboard, kazoo, and spoons, respectively -- I'd still go. Probably.