Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Here We Go Again (Genesis Reunion Rumors)

how about a phil Collins and Peter Gabriel joint tour like the sting/Gabriel tour last year. phil can do know what I like and Peter can do Invisible touch as a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    No, I don't think so; I'm essentially in agreement. I'm not certain Gabriel can still sing that stuff, and Collins apparently can't play, so why bother?
    Yep. This is me, too. And Rutherford never seems to have any interest in playing "the good stuff," anyway.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

To be honest I always have more interest in new material than touring old material...but it would be a big deal if this happened, even for one show. Clearly they have changed vocally and instrumentally, though, yes.

Of course it came close to happening circa 2004/5 but didn't. I also thought that documentary Together And Apart may have caused problems within the band.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Of course it came close to happening circa 2004/5 but didn't. I also thought that documentary Together And Apart may have caused problems within the band.
    I'd hope not, since the band members themselves surely weren't responsible for the final cut.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    This is simply never going to happen. I thought that was obvious by now? Hackett has ALWAYS wanted a 5 man Genesis reunion (at least since the mid-80's anyway), the others, while not against it per say, probably are not that committed to the idea. Gabriel has certainly made it known over the years that he doesn't see any point in "looking back", and I just don't see him making the time for it. For me personally, if Phil won't be drumming I really don't see any point to it. I'd rather see The Musical Box recreate an old early 70's tour perfectly than watch these old men slowly make their way through the old classic tunes. Just my not so humble opinion though.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    In yesterday's Daily Mail, in a small article about Phil Collins touring, they reported that: 'A reunion of his former band genesis may not be far behind. Guitarist Steve Hackett reveals he's holding talks with singer Peter Gabriel about getting the original line-up back together. 'A Genesis reunion is possible. I'm speaking to peter to find out what he thinks about the state of the world. I'm trying my best, believe me. I won't say any more because I don't want to raise expectations'

Don't know how recent the quotes are but at least sounds promising, though Peter has previously not wanted to go down that route.
    Here's the rest of the article (today's date)-
    https://www.sundayworld.com/entertai...enesis-reunion
    ***Several members of Genesis have spoke of a potential reunion including Phil Collins, who played drums and later fronted the rock group when Peter left the prog incarnation of the band in 1975.
    He previously said he is interested in reforming with his old band mates, Tony Banks and Mike, but only if he could take on singing duties as he can no longer play the drums due to a long-standing neck injury and a bad back.
    Of a possible reunion, he said: "We could probably put to bed the Peter Gabriel Genesis, especially if I can't really play that well. In my eyes that would be my role - I'd go back behind the drums."
    And keyboard player Tony previously told BANG Showbiz of a possible reunion: "I'd love to say that we are, but I know nothing of it.
    "It's never a problem for me really. Mike and I see each other a lot and we are always up for anything really. The problem really is Phil is not quite able to do what he did in the past, but we never say never."***
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Billy Sherwood on bass then?
    Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Here's the rest of the article (today's date)-
    https://www.sundayworld.com/entertai...enesis-reunion
    ***Several members of Genesis have spoke of a potential reunion including Phil Collins, who played drums and later fronted the rock group when Peter left the prog incarnation of the band in 1975.
    He previously said he is interested in reforming with his old band mates, Tony Banks and Mike, but only if he could take on singing duties as he can no longer play the drums due to a long-standing neck injury and a bad back.
    Of a possible reunion, he said: "We could probably put to bed the Peter Gabriel Genesis, especially if I can't really play that well. In my eyes that would be my role - I'd go back behind the drums."
    And keyboard player Tony previously told BANG Showbiz of a possible reunion: "I'd love to say that we are, but I know nothing of it.
    "It's never a problem for me really. Mike and I see each other a lot and we are always up for anything really. The problem really is Phil is not quite able to do what he did in the past, but we never say never."***
    So, in other words, another false alarm. Big surprise.

So, in other words, another false alarm. Big surprise.
    Only until the next thread.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Whats striking to me is that none of them are exactly passionate or enthused about the prospect- more like a lukewarm hey, why not or I suppose if they will, I will....the fans get excited, the band seems decidedly blase....if thats the case, may be better to skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Only until the next thread.
    Much like Yes threads, this one is eternal and undying. Probably even after all the members of Genesis are dead, we will still see these threads

Much like Yes threads, this one is eternal and undying. Probably even after all the members of Genesis are dead, we will still see these threads
    Aw man, the day one of the Genesis guys dies, I'm going to be inconsolable for a week.

Well, except for John Mayhew (sorry John, RIP).

Banned

Banned
    I understand McCartney is thinking about a Beatles reunion...

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    So now it sounds like they are only thinking about a 3 man reunion. Yawn.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Let's be honest, there would be no reason for them to do it. Fans of 80's and 90's Genesis probably don't know or care who was in the band (aside from Collins, due to his successful solo career, of course) so adding Hackett would mean nothing to the vast majority of their fan base. Peter Gabriel may well have a fair amount of crossover fans between his solo work and Genesis later work, but he is clearly the one that always seems to prevent (or make exceedingly difficult, schedule-wise) any 5 man reunion. I really don't get any sense that Tony or Mike really have much interest in a 5 man reunion either. While I don't think they are doing this for them money, since all three are quite wealthy by rock musician standards (or most standards really), I think they all know that a 5 man tour would mean small venues and probably more disappointed fans than happy ones (because they obviously wouldn't play much from their most popular albums with that lineup). Also, Phil can't play drums, so there's really no point (Phil having said in interviews over the years that he would only do a 5 man reunion if he played drums only.......at least I seem to recall reading that somewhere).

So, yeah. The only surprising thing here is that they decided to do any sort of tour at all, not that what they decided on was another Genesis "the hits" 3 man tour.

Let's be honest, there would be no reason for them to do it. Fans of 80's and 90's Genesis probably don't know or care who was in the band (aside from Collins, due to his successful solo career, of course) so adding Hackett would mean nothing to the vast majority of their fan base. Peter Gabriel may well have a fair amount of crossover fans between his solo work and Genesis later work, but he is clearly the one that always seems to prevent (or make exceedingly difficult, schedule-wise) any 5 man reunion. I really don't get any sense that Tony or Mike really have much interest in a 5 man reunion either. While I don't think they are doing this for them money, since all three are quite wealthy by rock musician standards (or most standards really), I think they all know that a 5 man tour would mean small venues and probably more disappointed fans than happy ones (because they obviously wouldn't play much from their most popular albums with that lineup). Also, Phil can't play drums, so there's really no point (Phil having said in interviews over the years that he would only do a 5 man reunion if he played drums only.......at least I seem to recall reading that somewhere).

So, yeah. The only surprising thing here is that they decided to do any sort of tour at all, not that what they decided on was another Genesis "the hits" 3 man tour.
    Yeah, pretty much. And I doubt Steve has any interest in playing the stuff that Genesis did after he left, based on what he's said in interviews.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    So... a search of the word Genesis didn't yield two other recent threads regarding the same thing?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    So... a search of the word Genesis didn't yield two other recent threads regarding the same thing?

It would be nice if there was a sub forum simply entitled the name of a classic band. A sub forum for each classic band. Not all classic bands, but the major ones. Each subforum would be all threads related to that band. This would help consolidate information.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    It would be nice if there was a sub forum simply entitled the name of a classic band. A sub forum for each classic band. Not all classic bands, but the major ones. Each subforum would be all threads related to that band. This would help consolidate information.
    Yeah, that way you wouldn't have to post a picture of Steve Hackett's twitter response in three separate Genesis threads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah, that way you wouldn't have to post a picture of Steve Hackett's twitter response in three separate Genesis threads.
    Thanks