Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Here We Go Again (Genesis Reunion Rumors)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I think it's criminal that they have removed the original mixes from circulation in favour of those remixes- almost unprecedented levels of revisionism, up there with Frank Zappa (and even many of his originals are back out now!). If they want something to promote for any possible live shows, master the original mixes properly.
    Agreed. It's just incomprehensibly poor decision-making.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed. It's just incomprehensibly poor decision-making.
    The big point of the remixes was to have all of the Genesis catalog in 5.1. The new stereo mixes were an added bonus, depending on your point of view. I have no problem with the remixes, and I've got all the "Definitive Remasters" already.

Poor decision making? In your opinion maybe. But I disagree.

^I wish they'd have left even those definitive remasters from the 90s available as well. And those are far from perfect...but they are at least the originals.

Still, it's approaching ten years since those remixes... a long time in reissue terms. Time for another go??
    Another round of reissues? Sure, why not. Who knows, they may make the 90s remasters available again some day.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The big point of the remixes was to have all of the Genesis catalog in 5.1. The new stereo mixes were an added bonus, depending on your point of view. I have no problem with the remixes, and I've got all the "Definitive Remasters" already.

Poor decision making? In your opinion maybe. But I disagree.
    But 5.1 sounds like garbage.

The 5.1s were fine with me, and I enjoyed the interviews etc. But the worst of the stereo remixes (the 1976-80 ones) are genuinely unlistenable for me, and I'm not at all the shrieking-hyperbole-audiophile type. And they were happy for those to replace the versions which had been available for, in most cases, 20/30 years. This should be addressed and here's an opportunity to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    they may make the 90s remasters available again some day.
    I can't imagine that the DE Remasters are hard to find on the second hand market?

^Anyone buying them new though will end up with those Davis mixes, as there's no alternative. They could of course have Steven Wilson doing them now...what more do people here want??

As for a possible reunion, I would tend to agree that another tour with this line-up isn't really necessary. The last one was great, and closed the book on that for me. And let's be honest, it's nearly ten years since that and Phil has been through the mill, physically speaking...another tour like that would be difficult for him.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-14-2016 at 03:25 PM.

As for a possible reunion, I would tend to agree that another tour with this line-up isn't really necessary. The last one was great, and closed the book on that for me. And let's be honest, it's nearly ten years since that and Phil has been through the mill, physically speaking...another tour like that would be difficult for him.
    Health issues with Collins seems like the big issue, not as much who tours considering the three have been the line up since 1978 apart from 1997/98.

If Peter Gabriel hasn't toured with them for 40 years, it is hard to see him starting now.

The "trio" era band are practicing yet, I doubt anything would come from it. Chester and Phil are no longer on speaking terms.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    Chester and Phil are no longer on speaking terms.
    Is this true? It's not the first time I've read this...wonder what caused this.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    But 5.1 sounds like garbage.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Chester and Phil are no longer on speaking terms.
    Do you have any details on this, Chuck?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    If they play the songs at half-speed and augment the band with five or six extra musicians then maybe they can tour.

Here's an idea: Get together and record five or six new songs and include it in the next box set of the original mixes of all their albums.
    What if they play at half speed and then use electronic techniques to shift it up in speed by a factor of 2[emoji6]

Banned
    ^I think it's criminal that they have removed the original mixes from circulation in favour of those remixes- almost unprecedented levels of revisionism, up there with Frank Zappa (and even many of his originals are back out now!). If they want something to promote for any possible live shows, master the original mixes properly.
    This talk about the remixes is getting old. I decided to put the stereo remixes in Apple lossless and listen to them as part of a shuffle mostly on my car audio. The claim that they sound ridiculously loud is absolutely false when compared to other music back to back, with no volume eq. Not only that but that production, especially TOTT puts a lot of other music produced whenever, to shame.

The "trio" era band are practicing yet, I doubt anything would come from it. Chester and Phil are no longer on speaking terms.
    Well, that is interesting.

I took Phil Collins recent statement about Genesis possibly getting back together as wishful thinking more than anything. Koreabruce posted earlier about Phil's health problems and I thought, that's it. If he can't move well due to foot problems (obvious in certain videos) then he's going to have trouble staying fit, much less regaining his drumming ability. If he's just going to sing from here on, that's different, though his fitness level will affect his voice. I think he sounds ok in recent performances and he'll likely get stronger if he keeps at it.

However, I did think that starting to drum again at whatever level he's is capable of would be good physiotherapy. If he's already doing this with the Genesis guys, I think that's great, whether anything comes of it, or not.

But the fallout with Chester? That's sad news, if true. My impression of Chester at a distance, is that he would be the easiest guy in the world to get along with, but you wouldn't want to cross him.

Banned
    If Phil was to drum again, he should learn to drum standing up. People are realizing how unhealthy it is to sit and work. Hence the new stand desks. Ever seen Jellyfish? Andy Sturmer literally kicked ass on drums standing up. Drummers can more easily front the band doing that.

Banned
    Forget Chester and go with Nick Di Virgilo. Too bad Nick didn't get more work on Calling all Stations.

I think the biggest problem with this (IMHO), is the trio's treating and neglect for Steve Hackett. The man has kept the true music of Genesis relevant, and truly honored their classic work, and they ignore him, a man who loved to collaborate. I for one, have no nostalgia on hearing `Misunderstanding' performed by the `old trio.'

^^^^ What he said.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

????? based on what Chuck????

Quote Originally Posted by LEG-art View Post
    I think the biggest problem with this (IMHO), is the trio's treating and neglect for Steve Hackett. The man has kept the true music of Genesis relevant, and truly honored their classic work, and they ignore him, a man who loved to collaborate. I for one, have no nostalgia on hearing `Misunderstanding' performed by the `old trio.'
    No issues with the comment regarding Misunderstanding... to each his own. The "trio" have been pretty clear that a reunion would be best with all 5 classic members of the band. They have stated that the 4 man era was just 2 lp's... albeit two stellar lip's so that reunion makes the least sense to them... I certainly don't agree but one can see the reasoning. Frankly I think we (and Phil) have accepted that any studio/live endeavor with Phil will not involve him behind the kit... that ship has sailed.

I get it, really- I seem to recall Tony Banks addressing this in the Chapter And Verse book and he said that whilst he felt for Steve he didn't think he'd want to be up there playing the 80s/90s hits anyway. And I don't think he would either.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    They have stated that the 4 man era was just 2 lp's... albeit two stellar lip's so that reunion makes the least sense to them...
    Yeah two still great prog albums plus one of the best live albums of all time, Seconds Out, where Phil also shines singing Gabriel songs. No Hackett and/or Gabriel, no Genesis.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    They have stated that the 4 man era was just 2 lp's... albeit two stellar lip's so that reunion makes the least sense to them... I certainly don't agree but one can see the reasoning. .
    I still say they could do two sets: first set is music from the quartet and quintet eras, with Hackett on guitar. They could play around 40 minutes of music cherry picked from A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering, plus maybe 20 minutes of Gabriel era music (perhaps one or two medleys), take a 20 minute interval, then play an hour of music of post Hackett material with Darryl on guitar. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Of course, conventional logic dictates you have to front load the setlist with "the hits", and let's face it, like with any "huge" band, the vast majority of the people who pack arenas and stadiums to see a group like Genesis only own the best of. So, on any given night, you're going to have a few hundred, maybe a couple thousand fans who are gonna be excited to hear Dance On A Volcano, ...In That Quiet Earth, etc, and 18,000 "fans" (at the very least) going, "What the frell is this dren?!" (not that I expect anyone going to a Genesis concert to hear Throwing It All Away and Illegal Alien would use Farscape profanity) for the duration of the first set. Of course, I could give a damn what those sort of people think. I still wish they had opened the show on the 2007 set with the full Duke's Travels/Duke's End, not only because I love that track but also because I think it would have been fun to frell with the minds of those people.