Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PROG Magazine- Anyone still buying it?

PROG Magazine- Anyone still buying it?

Have neglected to purchase it for months now but had to buy the latest edition based on the cover and main feature.

The same publisher use to produce a monthly 'Blues Magazine' which is now discontinued due to low sales. I hope 'Prog Magazine' doesn't go the same path!!!

59ad60ba-60e4-4b63-b4eb-5ede899ce839.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I get it every month. I think the articles and reviews are great. Did you see the 3-D psychedelic cover a few issues ago?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

I made a pledge to myself to stop buying magazines, I seem unable to throw them out! I have Mojo, Q, The Word going back to issue 1, but only but an occasional issue now. I have boxes and boxes of these things!

I find Prog a little repetitive and am not remotely interested in anything Prog Metal, and there's too much of this content for me.

That said I bought the latest issue today because I couldn't resist a magazine with Tales From Topographic Oceans on the cover, and I like Sid's writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a buyer but I'm very pleased it's still going, all these years later. It's been going for, what, 7 years now- quite an achievement given that prog was treated by the mainstream music press like the 'mad woman in the attic' for so long.

There was another ill-fated publication from the same team called 'AOR Magazine'. I think the problem there is that 'AOR' is a pretty nebulous term...more than 'prog'!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post

I find Prog a little repetitive and am not remotely interested in anything Prog Metal, and there's too much of this content for me.
    I stumbled upon their (Team Rock) now defunct digital radio venture with a prog radio show, and I agree- prog metal was played a lot and is not to my taste either. I remember Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness did two nights on there though, which was interesting.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-18-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I stumbled upon their (Team Rock) now defunct digital radio venture with a prog radio show, and I agree- prog metal was played a lot and is not to my taste either. I remember Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness did two nights on there though, which was interesting.
    I suspect it boils down to a readership issue. The major prog-metal bands have significantly more followers than, say, the major avant-prog bands.

Agreed that the content is way too repetitive and off-the-mark in terms of actual progressive rock, but I will get an issue from time to time if there is a feature that looks interesting.

Did the cardboard outer sleeve go by the wayside? I saw PROG at Barnes and Nobles this week with no sleeve with the bonus CD attached to the front cover with that rubbery "troll snot" stuff ala MOJO. I wouldn't miss it much but it made for better traveling if you had a subscription.

I still get it every month. I feel somehow obliged to buy a magazine which strongly promotes the genre. It is, in addition, still a very good read.

In answer to the first question, yeah I still read it. It's always a fun way to spend an hour here and there.

Yes Sean, the outer sleeve has gone by the wayside. They were always ripped open and rummaged through over here, so I'm not particularly missing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    In answer to the first question, yeah I still read it. It's always a fun way to spend an hour here and there.
    Here and there being "on the can!"

I've actually cut way back on it - I did go into a B&N store just a couple of days ago to see if they had the issue with Marillion on the cover but they seemed to be out.

Anyway, we get all the highlights from Rufus!

Still get it every month.... my main bathroom reading material, however the CD that comes with it is way too metal for me :-|

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

LOL I don't read on the can, I'm never in there that long!

I do read these at lunch a lot though. The back of my car looks like a Dr's waiting room- there's so many mags in there! Even Hilights and the first volume of A Bible Story!

When they moved from Google Play to their own App, it filled up my tablet after one or two months, I kinda shook my head and said move on... On a separate note, I've tried to contact the editorial team there without luck.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Orcopian
    I still read it and have a subscription to both prog and classic rock. There is a comforting old school feeling of having a regular physical magazine to leaf through, more satisfying than surfing the web. There is always enough in prog to satisfy me, even if I'm not too interested in the prog metal and post rock side of things. I enjoy some of the regular articles like the 'famous' prog fans - this month it's pub landlord comedian al Murray. I'm glad prog magazine exists.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not a buyer but I'm very pleased it's still going, all these years later. It's been going for, what, 7 years now- quite an achievement given that prog was treated by the mainstream music press like the 'mad woman in the attic' for so long.

There was another ill-fated publication from the same team called 'AOR Magazine'. I think the problem there is that 'AOR' is a pretty nebulous term...more than 'prog'!
    Yeah, forgot about that one too!

I do appreciate the free CD's. I bought Haken and Steven Wilson CD's on the back of those!

I don't have a subscription(I don't have one for progression either although I used to)but I buy it every month at the magazine rack at the local B&N.

Yep, I'm on a subscription renewal so I never miss an issue. Most of the music on the CDs is crap IMO, or it's stuff I already will have bought anyway, but there has been the occasional gem that has turned me on to a particular band here and there.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I used to read it. Maybe I should start again. It did have some good articles and I loved the review section. Based many a NF purchase from that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've actually cut way back on it - I did go into a B&N store just a couple of days ago to see if they had the issue with Marillion on the cover but they seemed to be out.
    They must have had a dozen copies of that one when I checked my local B&N on Saturday. Seemed like this was a restock, too; I can't believe they'd sell that many. But that one's been out for a while. I've been looking for the next one with the Atom Heart Mother cover, and as a certified Tales freak, now I want this new issue, too.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I don't subscribe to it, but I bought the Emerson tribute issue.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

the last Prog I bought is from April 15 (with Latimer on the cover) number 55... I can't remember when was the previous one

the last Classic Rock issues I bought are 208, 210 & 214, all dating from after my last prog, but none are from 2016

Whenever I drop by my Waterstone, I do open carefully and leaft through both.... though I must say that those CR plastic bag thingies are a real pain to open properly.... Soooo, I don't ... and pass on it. Their loss....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    I still read it and have a subscription to both prog and classic rock. There is a comforting old school feeling of having a regular physical magazine to leaf through, more satisfying than surfing the web. There is always enough in prog to satisfy me, even if I'm not too interested in the prog metal and post rock side of things. I enjoy some of the regular articles like the 'famous' prog fans - this month it's pub landlord comedian al Murray. I'm glad prog magazine exists.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well as I also subscribe to both Classic Rock and Prog. I have discovered a lot of bands over the years through the two publications. Often the news is a bit outdated, since everything is on the Internet these days, but I still enjoy the interviews, albums reviews and especially their end of the year best of list which I often use as a buyer’s guide.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    When they moved from Google Play to their own App, it filled up my tablet after one or two months, I kinda shook my head and said move on... On a separate note, I've tried to contact the editorial team there without luck.
    As I understand it you can delete select issues, and bring them back later if you want.

I switched from hard copy to the iPad version about a year ago and couldn't be happier. I don't miss the CD (too much metal for my taste as well), and they don't take up space. The writing is very good, as is the diversity of artists. It would be a great loss to the Prog community to see this magazine go by the wayside. And a year on the iPad (presumably on any tablet) is not that expensive -- I think $39 bucks for 10 issues). Way chepaer here in the U.S. than hard copy.

PROG!

My issue (pun intended) is that the magazine's cover story seems to be a revolving group of Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis and Opeth, with a Camel and King Crimson thrown in from time to time. I guess that's what sells.

Another way to subscribe is to subscribe to Team Rock, which enables you to browse all of the articles (including back issues) from Prog, Classic Rock and Metal Hammer. And, I believe the monthly sub is cheaper than a monthly/yearly sub to the e-edition of Prog.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap