Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young Says He's Removing His Music From Streaming Services

Neil Young Says He's Removing His Music From Streaming Services

http://pitchfork.com/news/60402-neil...reaming-sites/
    "It's about sound quality. I don't need my music to be devalued by the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution."

Another one artist I respect say what I feel about all of those crappy mp3 files, iPods and miserable iTunes. (The first one is of course Steven Wilson).

P.S. For those "advanced" lovers of mp3 files who would call me a "retrograde" that denies "modern technologies": I'm life long computer pro working with the most advanced IT stuff who knew what mp3 files are a decade before they became "mainstream".

... because this album needs to be heard with maximum fidelity.

http://smile.amazon.com/Letter-Home-...rds=neil+young

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    I'm life long computer pro working with the most advanced IT stuff who knew what mp3 files are a decade before they became "mainstream".
    So since 1985 or so?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I want to be lectured about sound quality by a guy who's spent 45 years standing in front of Crazy Horse.

I don't adhere to streaming sites but I have no issues with MP3 files. They suit my purpose just fine. I don't have any state-of-the-art stereo equipment nor any acoustically-perfect room to put it in. I don't blare my music and find that MP3s sound fine on my equipment played at my sound level.

As an added bonus, I don't have the clutter of the physical medium in my limited living space.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    because if anything requires maximum fidelity and digital quality, it's Neil Young's voice...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    http://pitchfork.com/news/60402-neil...reaming-sites/
    "It's about sound quality. I don't need my music to be devalued by the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution."

Another one artist I respect say what I feel about all of those crappy mp3 files, iPods and miserable iTunes. (The first one is of course Steven Wilson).

P.S. For those "advanced" lovers of mp3 files who would call me a "retrograde" that denies "modern technologies": I'm life long computer pro working with the most advanced IT stuff who knew what mp3 files are a decade before they became "mainstream".
    I think that MP3's are even better for his voice...the higher the fidelity---the worse his voice sounds!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Since he doesn't need the $ he can have high standards, but other musicians don't necessarily have the same choices

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Well, he's got a point.

tumblr_nn8t8zOcrm1qzqydlo1_500.jpg

you do realize that - at even a bare minimum -- the recording process can be done for less than $1000 (less than $600 if ya know where to look) ... and most of that is in the mic

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    because if anything requires maximum fidelity and digital quality, it's Neil Young's voice...
    and his ham-fisted guitar playing thru maximum distortion and flange effect
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I encoded most of my CD collection as 96kbps mp3's about 15 years ago. Some CDs sounded ok like that, others like total crap. But over the last year I've re-encoded a lot at 320kbps. I play them on my computer through a 30W RCA amp and some Polk bookshelf speakers, nothing high end but not a cheapo computer speaker setup either. Through this system I would doubt anyone could hear the difference between the .wav's on the original CDs and the 320 mp3's.

So anyway don't diss the mp3 technology as a whole. It is just a matter of the bit rate.

As for Mr. Young, more power to him. Whether his reasons make any sense or not, he's doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    LOL. And I need his distorted guitar to sound crystal clear.

There was a thread in here recently in which nobody could consistently tell the difference between 320 and lossless.

I imagine this has a lot more to do with disappointing Pono sales than a sound quality crusade.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Pono was part of his sound quality crusade. If Neil Young wants money, all he has to do is tour.

Also, you all can dis Neil Young all you want, to these ears he makes more compelling music than half of what is mentioned on this site, voice, distortion, and all.

As for his sound quality crusade, its a cause that has to do with money. Primarily, I don't have enough to buy into the audiophile game, and I live in an apartment, so headphones are simply a way to be neighborly. So it's the cheap stuff he abhors for me.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Pono was part of his sound quality crusade. If Neil Young wants money, all he has to do is tour.

Also, you all can dis Neil Young all you want, to these ears he makes more compelling music than half of what is mentioned on this site, voice, distortion, and all.
    Agreed with that. He's got more albums I think are excellent than nearly everyone else in my collection.

He also has some quirks (refusing for many years to re-release a bunch of his out-of-print albums, for example) so his sudden stance on streaming isn't completely unprecedented.

I think most of us love Nel's music - I know I do. It's just not the most in need of amazing audio. Though for some of the acoustic stuff it might be nice.

Southern man, don't need him 'round anyhow....

I've seen the MP3s and the damage done, little earbuds stuck in everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post

As much of not a fan of Neil Young's music as I am, I can't take away the fact that he does release music that is emotional and compelling....he really does try to put out honest music, and I have to respect that

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    As much of not a fan of Neil Young's music as I am, I can't take away the fact that he does release music that is emotional and compelling....he really does try to put out honest music, and I have to respect that
    Yeah, I agree... though I don't have to like a lot of it *lol* That said anyone with a career as long and varied as Neil's is going to have some stone cold classics and he probably has a dozen at least, even if a lot of the rest sends me running away screaming

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

LOL. And I need his distorted guitar to sound crystal clear.
    let me go install a gold plated, cryogenically sealed outlet and the lifts for my 15000$/ft cables to get optimal sound...

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I imagine this has a lot more to do with disappointing Pono sales than a sound quality crusade.
    Precisely. He's lost the ability or will to create new music, so he's trying desperately to squeeze whatever revenue he can from his existing catalog. If that means driving his fans to his over-priced and questionable Pono device + files by removing any other way to hear it, then that's what he feels he has to do.

Neil Young is 69 years old. He has spent an inordinate amount of time on stage in front of loud amplifiers. I'd be TRULY surprised if he can hear the different between MP3s and his Pono files, when most of his younger fans and industry professionals cannot.

Note, he also may be making money on the Pono debacle whether he sells any or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    PonoMusic was founded in 2012 by Neil Young, along with Silicon Valley entrepreneur John Hamm as the company's CEO.[3] Pono reportedly has backing from major record labels Warner, Sony, and Universal, and has signed a full agreement with Warner.[4][5] The company launched a successful Kickstarter campaign on March 12, 2014 that surpassed its target in one day.[6] PonoMusic raised $6.2 million by the end of the campaign.[7]

In August 2014, PonoMusic turned to Crowdfunder to raise more equity.[8] They closed with a total financing of $4 million. While many more international investors were interested, they had to be turned away due to regulatory restrictions.[9]

PonoMusic's products are based on the FLAC audio format, which the company is rebranding as Pono audio format.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-20-2015 at 10:58 PM.