Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Kinks Will Reunite In 2017

Wow, never heard that before. All I heard was "rowdy behavior." I used to think "rowdy behavior?" What about the Who who would smash the crap out of their instruments on stage? Not rowdy enough I guess. Lol.

They did catch up by the 70s, and were consistently strong sellers by the late 70s/early 80s. They were pretty much ignored in the UK for most of the 70s and 80s, as far as new releases went (and most of their classic Pye albums did nothing in the UK either). 'Come Dancing' was the only hit single they had at that point.

Jumping from label to label didn't help them either.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They were a different band under Arista, with a bigger, harder sound. Definitely meant to play in arenas. This comp is pretty good if you can find it:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/come-d...0-mw0000194484
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And just because........

BEST
    Give the People What They Want 1981
    Sleepwalker 1977
    Something Else by the Kinks 1967
    Muswell Hillbillies 1971
    The Village Green Preservation Society 1968
    Word of Mouth 1984

NEXT
    Low Budget 1979
    Misfits 1978
    Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) 1969
    The Kink Kontroversy 1965
    Kinks 1964
    The Kinks Present a Soap Opera 1975
    Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Vol. 1 1970

NOT MY CUPPA
    UK Jive 1989
    Preservation: Act 1 1973
    Preservation: Act 2 1974

NEVER OWNED
    Kinda Kinks 1965
    Face to Face 1966
    Percy 1971
    The Kinks Present Schoolboys in Disgrace 1975
    State of Confusion 1983
    Think Visual 1986
    Phobia 1993
    To the Bone 1994

Something Else, Face to Face, Village Green and Arthur are the big four for me...

1. Lola Versus Powerman
    2. Muswell Hillbillies
    3. Arthur
    4. Village Green Preservation Society
    5. Everybody's in Showbiz, Everybody's a Star

1975 Schoolboys In Disgrace tour was spectacular (album's pretty tasty too). The first half of the show was loaded with so many of my favorite Davies songs; the second half they acted out the entire Schoolboys album -- total rock opera with costume changes, masks, films.

1978 Misfits tour featured Dave D. doing unbelievable acrobatics throughout the show -- I saw the Kinks a lot of times, but never saw Dave performing like an olympian quite like on this tour.

Got to talk to Ray D. after a solo show a few years back. Really friendly guy. Also his book XRAY is well worth a read.

Very much a "60s group" for me, particularly the early LPs. Muswell Hillbillies is the last of their albums I know.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Ray is a bit younger than Mick.

I first heard The Kinks at age 7 or 8 and either '64 or '65. I begged my parents to buy me the 45rpm's and the LP's. I was rewarded with The Kinks. I couldn't wait to finish mowing the lawn and ask one of my parents to drive me to the record store to buy a new Kinks album...... which were brutally cut to pieces and rearranged for domestic commercial release. The only domestic release being close to a British release was Kontroversy ( I believe?), and since my parents were both musicians, I was given the freedom to listen to The Kinks instead of joining Boy Scouts or whatever else? My mother used to say..." Why do The Kinks seem to dislike the world?", "They sing about depressing things and are being sarcastic" So I continued to follow them but soon came under the impression they had broken up. And every kid in school thought that The Kinks had disbanded and many American kids missed out on Face To Face, ( although released in U.S.), Something Else, and Village Green . When The Kinks released Arthur it was a revelation for many of us in '69, but additionally it felt like they had returned to American youth with a more overall important album.

With Arthur I began to adapt the lyricism of Ray Davies to my perspective on life at age 13. When I started paying more attention to the lyrics I realized that he was describing how I felt about the world. "Shangrila" described my parents life to me and although Ray Davies was being sarcastic about England, I applied his viewpoints to all my situations in life here in the U.S. Something felt honest about his songs . At age 13, I felt Ray Davies was making it seem like the majority of people in society were foolish or moronic. You might say that Frank Zappa did the same? Ray Davies communicated directly to the American youth that certain qualities they were taught to pursue were not in fact a part of being independent and an overall message of using your own head to think life through was drawn from many Kinks albums... at a time in life when many acts of independent belief concepts were forbidden by the pressures of religion, school, government, ( above), and surprisingly more restricted than the world today.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

They did a truly infamous gig here in Wales (Cardiff) in the mid 60s where Mick Avory whacked Dave Davies over the head with a drum pedal!
    Is that the one where Ray then chased Mick around the stage yelling "You killed my brother!" (because apparently, Dave was unconscious).

It was.

I never owned any of their albums, but I remember the 80's era singles, as they got lots of MTV airplay. Of course, everybody remembers Come Dancing, but there was also Predictable (which I think was the first Kinks song I ever heard, before I really knew about their past), Don't Forget To Dance, State Of Confusion itself (my personal favorite), Do It Again (my other favorite), and Rock N Roll Cities. And of course, I've heard the earlier singles, like Lola, You Really Got Me (I remember Dave dissing the Van Halen version in Guitar Player once), etc, etc.

In the late 70's and early 80's, Dave regularly played a Gibson Les Paul Artisan, and then later in the 80's played a Fender Telecaster Elite. I think he's about the only guitarist I've ever seen play either of those models.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I never owned any of their albums, but I remember the 80's era singles, as they got lots of MTV airplay. Of course, everybody remembers Come Dancing, but there was also Predictable (which I think was the first Kinks song I ever heard, before I really knew about their past), Don't Forget To Dance, State Of Confusion itself (my personal favorite), Do It Again (my other favorite), and Rock N Roll Cities. And of course, I've heard the earlier singles, like Lola, You Really Got Me (I remember Dave dissing the Van Halen version in Guitar Player once), etc, etc.

In the late 70's and early 80's, Dave regularly played a Gibson Les Paul Artisan, and then later in the 80's played a Fender Telecaster Elite. I think he's about the only guitarist I've ever seen play either of those models.
    Start with Kink Kronikles for a summation of the mid-late 60s that is nothing but one gem after another.

And then there's my personal anthem, a b-side that got a tremendous revival on the now out-of-print To the Bone. I love Dave's solo on this.

Never been a big fan. I'm familiar with a few of their hits, obviously. I remember hearing those first big hits in 1964. They were pretty popular. Probably 3rd, 4th, or 5th on the list of original Invasion bands after the B**t*e* and the Rolling Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Never been a big fan. I'm familiar with a few of their hits, obviously. I remember hearing those first big hits in 1964. They were pretty popular. Probably 3rd, 4th, or 5th on the list of original Invasion bands after the B**t*e* and the Rolling Stones.
    Leaving the Beatles out of it, I find that there tends to be two camps. Those that thought the Stones were the real British Invasion and those that didn't really like the Stones but thought the Kinks were the voice of what Britain could bring.

I personally fall in the second camp. I listen much more to the Kinks output (by a factor of about 50 to 1) than I do to 60 / 70 era Rolling Stones.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think the Who were far more popular and produced more challenging music (Quadrophenia) when compared to the Kinks - this lead to more significance.