Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static -- Kickstarter Campaign for new Dave Kerzner album

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Static -- Kickstarter Campaign for new Dave Kerzner album

Dave Kerzner ("Squids" on PE) just launched a Kickstarter campaign for his next album, to be called "Static":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

His first two Kickstarter campaigns have been a lot of fun, as he keeps in constant communication with the backers and does a lot of fun things like a live studio session via Skype, lots of previews of audio and video, and also just a lot of interesting written and video updates. When he reached the Kickstarter goal for "New World Live," he did a video update that was pretty emotional and fun to watch. Most importantly, the New World and New World Live albums are really good! So I'm in for this one as well, for the boxed set. He's aiming to have this one done in time for Cruise to the Edge 2017 (in February), so it should be a relatively quick one, assuming he reaches the pledge goal.

Just wanted to let people know, because I know there are a lot of fans of New World.

Jefferson James
    Squids is a model of how to successfully run crowd funding campaigns, he puts a ton of work into the updates, alternate takes, merch, videos, the whole thing.

Honestly, seeing the way Dave ran the New World campaigns and how hard he worked made me realize I'm totally out of the self-promo business. I used to talk a good game but there's no way I could ever manage the legwork Dave does.

I didn't expect to like New World because of the pervasive Pink Floyd influence but the album makes me smile. Squids wears his influences on his sleeve but I feel there is sincerity behind it all and the songs are rock solid.

Wishing all the best with "Static".

Very cool.

I like Squids. He strikes me as a genuine guy, and the enthusiasm he has for music and for his influences is refreshing. New World had some great songs, although I haven't heard it in a while. I need to go back and hear it again.

And I'm in for this new one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Squids is a model...
    ... I better start working out so I can live up to this! Haha.

Hey guys! Been awhile since I've been on PE. Someone alerted me to this post and I thought I'd stop over and say hello. Thanks for the kind words. It's true that I'm often quite transparent with regarding to showing certain detectable musical influences... like Pink Floyd or Genesis or The Beatles or others. To me, it's part of the fun in songwriting to find whatever fits together and serves the song. It just comes out that way sometimes but I'm actually never sitting there thinking "I should write a song like this band or this other song". I just play and whatever comes out suggests where it goes next and I've always liked artists who had a mixture of familiarity and nostalgia with their own new musical flavors and exploration. If you think about it, a lot of bands in the past 3 decades had that going for them. Marillion, IQ and It Bites had a very Genesisy sound. Porcupine Tree always had a strong Pink Floyd influence as have others. I do also appreciate when something is more of an island on its own in terms of a unique sound less traceable to its root influences... and at some point I may work on an album with that intention. For now I just write what I love and I'm loose about those rules. Consider some of those moments a tip of the hat to the greats. Meanwhile, each song comes from the heart and has its own substance and meaning. No cheap knock offs though for those who can tell the difference.

The new album is more experimental and the one after it which I've already started on is even more experimental. Those who join this Kickstarter campaign for my second solo album (called Static) due out in 2017 will have a special advanced hearing of my third solo album coming in 2018 (or sooner) at some point.

Static -- Kickstarter Campaign for new Dave Kerzner album

I'm in!
    SOC and New World are in the top 10 of my Prog rotation! I'm a sucker for new music.
    Crossing of Fates is one the best instrumentals of the past many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boceephus; 11-07-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm in. Agreed on the campaign. I did the deluxe edition of New World on the original one. All the updates were a nice touch.

Squids, any news on SOC? Would love to hear you collaborate with Simon again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm in. Agreed on the campaign. I did the deluxe edition of New World on the original one. All the updates were a nice touch.

Squids, any news on SOC? Would love to hear you collaborate with Simon again.
    I'll tell you information we've shared about Sound of Contact in various places. When we made Dimensionaut it was done always with just three of us at a time in the studio. It was either Simon, myself and Kelly Nordstrom or when Kelly left the band we had Matt Dorsey come in to do the rest of the guitar and bass. Originally we had formed as a four piece band but, without going into detail why, it ended up being this way. In terms of songwriting, Simon and I ended up writing most of the album. You can hear the most of Matt's sound in "Cosmic Distance Ladder" and most of Kelly's sound in Part 2 and 3 of "Mobius Slip".

Despite there being a heavy emphasis on keyboards and drums (something I've always liked from bands like Genesis) and it being the first vehicle for my songwriting, with the time that has passed and me having a solo outlet for my songwriting, the appeal to me and the rest of the guys of reforming Sound of Contact's original four man line up was to see what we could do as a band if the approach was more of a balance of input from each of us. We went into the studio all four of us and the results so far are really interesting and exciting!

I would have been fine with finishing and releasing the next SOC album before my next solo album. But, it's not up to me alone. That project depends on Simon and the guys, their wives, their jobs etc. Simon is still working on his fourth solo album so it's not likely there's going to be an SOC album until that's completed and released. Meanwhile, I've written the music for my next 3 or 4 solo albums so I've always got something to do no matter what. I'm also producing some other albums. So, I carry on with the productivity and "Static" is the next release... especially since I'm pushing to try to get it out by Cruise To The Edge 2017 where we will be playing many songs from it. If I am able to get together with Simon and co. for more writing and recording I'm always up for it whenever they are. I just don't wait for others anymore. I keep myself busy! Hope that answers that. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm not interested in SOC anymore. I am. (no pun intended)

Thanks for the update! SOC and New World both receive heavy rotation by me. Looking forward to Static and catching you on the cruise.

Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks for the update! SOC and New World both receive heavy rotation by me. Looking forward to Static and catching you on the cruise.

Rick..
    Thanks Rick! I'm looking forward to the cruise as well.

I'm going to be posting some cool stuff soon. Some of it will be for backers only but some will be for anyone who visits the page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu

Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree is playing bass on the title track "Static" and I'll be announcing a few more special guests... even though I'm doing much less of that on this album compared to "New World".

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I'm going to be posting some cool stuff soon. Some of it will be for backers only but some will be for anyone who visits the page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu

Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree is playing bass on the title track "Static" and I'll be announcing a few more special guests... even though I'm doing much less of that on this album compared to "New World".
    Looking forward to updates.

While you're here... any news on the Sonic Elements projects? Have these been dropped in favour of new music, or might there be further releases?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Over halfway there! 21 days to go! Looking good...

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Looking forward to updates.

While you're here... any news on the Sonic Elements projects? Have these been dropped in favour of new music, or might there be further releases?

Henry
    Hi Henry. They're still on my to do list. My live album/Blu-ray/DVD ended up taking a lot longer than I thought it would so it ate up some time I would have had for the tribute projects. Now, I'm motivated to get my next solo album done in time for February's Cruise To The Edge. But, after I get the album done I plan on getting back to them.

I'm also in on this. I still love "New World", the live album is a bit redundant to me and also not as good sounding as the studio release (at least to these ears), but nevertheless a nice companion release, also considering all the bonus stuff. Good luck with the new one, Squids!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Hi Henry. They're still on my to do list. My live album/Blu-ray/DVD ended up taking a lot longer than I thought it would so it ate up some time I would have had for the tribute projects. Now, I'm motivated to get my next solo album done in time for February's Cruise To The Edge. But, after I get the album done I plan on getting back to them.
    Thanks.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    I'm also in on this. I still love "New World", the live album is a bit redundant to me and also not as good sounding as the studio release (at least to these ears), but nevertheless a nice companion release, also considering all the bonus stuff. Good luck with the new one, Squids!
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you were ultimately pleased with it. The approach I took with the live album and the concert video is such where I wanted the live album to follow the story in the right order just like the studio album. It's no more redundant than if Pink Floyd were to have Dark Side of the Moon live in the same order like they did on Pulse. That's just the nature of what that is. In the tunes, there are some distinct differences from the studio versions and since we don't play along with backing tracks it is different each time we play.

The concert video, on the other hand, is in the order we played the songs in a live show from the tour. A different experience. As for the how it sounds, well that's subjective but comparing it to the sound of a studio album isn't apples with apples. Comparing it to the sound of other live albums is. I'm pleased with how it came out sonically, especially compared to other live albums where it really is sort of hit and miss given the nature of getting whatever you get to work with in a live recording (much different than the control one has in the studio). Anyway, the main purpose of even having a live album and DVD/Blu-ray is so that people who didn't get to see the live show can still get a chance to see and hear what it's like. I don't do extensive touring so I'll probably be putting out more live releases for that reason.

No offense meant, Squids. And from an artist's point of view, I absolutely understand the necessity of having a live album!

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    No offense meant, Squids. And from an artist's point of view, I absolutely understand the necessity of having a live album!
    No offense taken. I was just explaining how I see it. If it makes a difference having another point of view, such as one from the music artist, then great! If not then it's ok. It's all subjective. I like to hear feedback and I also like to share my perspective for anyone is curious.
    Last edited by Squids; 11-18-2016 at 03:50 AM.

Here's an audio preview from one of the tracks on the album: https://soundcloud.com/davekerznerband/a-dark-trip

I'll chime in here as well regarding the quality of New World and the quality & quantity of communications for the New World Live Kickstarter campaign. An earlier post noted that Dave is the model for how to do Kickstarter communication, and I *strongly* agree. The backers have had the digital audio files for a few weeks now and any day now for the video! I'll also be a backer for the new "Static" project - highly recommended stuff folks!

Rick
    Last edited by starfighter; 11-19-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Quote Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
    I'll chime in here as well regarding the quality of New World and the quality & quantity of communications for the New World Live Kickstarter campaign. An earlier post noted that Dave is the model for how to do Kickstarter communication, and I *strongly* agree. The backers have had the digital audio files for a few weeks now and any day now for the video! I'll also be a backer for the new "Static" project - highly recommended stuff folks!

Rick
    Thanks Rick! I think the main key is communication and being accessible and real. Sometimes things go even better than planned and sometimes there's a hitch which causes a delay! For some people, ALL of the behind the scenes info including the things that can go wrong is interesting. Certainly the musicians who participate as a backer can see what works and what doesn't as they watch an artist like me experiment with a relatively new territory for the music business. But, even if you're not a musician, it can be fun to see what really happens behind the scenes and the challenging decisions a picky artist such as myself has to make! I'm one of those artists who remains a fan of music and other bands myself. I know what I like (in your wardrobe) so I put myself in the shoes of the music fan who's into my music... everything I do and all the extras I offer are things I'd want from my favorite band or artists. I mean, can you imagine interacting with any of our favorite Prog bands from the 70s while they were making albums back then???? But, those days are gone and many of those artists and bands don't even make albums anymore. All we have are the NEW artists who make music that aspires to be on that level. Whether you think I accomplish that with the albums I produce (solo, SOC, Mantra Vega etc.) is up to you! That's subjective. However, if you see the mission and the vision of what it is and where it's going or how it will be looked at later on then this is that window of time to be part of the making of an album.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-dave-kerzner

When I see this topic, I keep thinking of the guitarist from Ours:
    https://www.facebook.com/STATICGUITAR/?fref=ts

maybe Static could play on the album?

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    When I see this topic, I keep thinking of the guitarist from Ours:
    https://www.facebook.com/STATICGUITAR/?fref=ts

maybe Static could play on the album?
    Oh I never heard of him or them actually. "Static" was actually a song that was going to be on my album "New World". But, it felt like its own concept which, speaking of the word and what it means in my album's context, couldn't be more appropriate for the state of things right now. A bit clouded and unclear but we have to plow ahead through it to get to some clarity.

Less than two weeks left to get in on the Kickstarter campaign. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-dave-kerzner

In case any of you might be interested in the Blu-ray or concert video DVD or my new live album on 2 CDs (including Durga McBroom singing Great Gig In The Sky like she did with Pink Floyd and me singing songs I wrote with Sound of Contact) plus t-shirts, signed posters and exclusive downloads etc. there's a promo discount code today which is: blackfriedsquids15 It gives an automatic 15% discount. I'm also going to be posting the 24/96k hi res version of the live album this coming week (discount code will work actually until the end of this month) and that version will include exclusive extra songs that we did at ROSfest.