Thread: Curved Air 2016 Rarities Series Instrumental Impro's

Curved Air 2016 Rarities Series Instrumental Impro's

Cherry Red Records are releasing two "new" Curved Air records:

Tapestry of Propositions (Vol.1) which is a one hour long (mostly instrumental) version of their classic song taken from live improvisations by the current line-up, edited together to flow naturally.

Curved Space & Infinity (Vol.2) also consists of intrumental (rehearsal ?) impros by Francis Monkman (previously released as "Jam") and additional 2016 studio recordings by the current line-up.

I only listened to the later (not sure I can stand a one hour long version of Propositions) which is made of spacey and guitar-oriented instrumental impros/jams in the style of Monkman's 21st Century Blues or Porcupine Tree's Metanoia (If that could help ?)

No doubt there are some great moments in these for fans of improvisational instrumental music but not sure that the casual Curved Air fan will appreciate these, and using the band name Curved Air is a little bit misleading as this is VERY far from what you would expect from this band. Personally, being a Francis Monkman fan I'm very pleased, but what's about you (hardcore) Curved Air fans ?

And any reviews of Tapestry (Vol.1) , which I didn't heard yet ?

An hour long version of Propositions spliced together on a CD? I love long improv, but it seems a bit weird.
    I have Jam, which Francis sent to me, with 21st Century Blues some years ago, when we were emailing back and forth for a time. What a really nice guy!
    I never asked for anything. He volunteered to send them to me, from England. I like Jam better, actually. The last CA studio album, North Star, is nothing
    short of fantastic. How many songs are on the Volume 2 album? I'm waiting for another studio album from this lineup.
    It seems Infinity is three members of Curved Air, from what I can tell.
    http://www.cherryred.co.uk/?s=curved...t_type=product

I don't like the unnaturalness of Vol. 1. It's DOA. Neither interests me much. There has to be better stuff in the vaults from this band.