Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steven Wilson NA tour

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Check out his Mute Gods album "do nothing till you hear from me" if you want to know just how incredible this guy really is!
    That emotion, seconded.

There is music for the body and there is music for the mind.
    Most good prog is music for the mind, so in that sense, I would rather sit back and enjoy the music
    from that perspective.

If I want music for the body, I will probably attend a different kind of band. I don't like having to stand for 2 or 3 hours especially if people are not actively dancing. I find it quite annoying actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    There is music for the body and there is music for the mind.
    For me there is no such distinction.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    For me there is no such distinction.
    Do you get into trouble at the Symphony when you dance?
    (I am only having a bit of fun with you. )

But seriously, it is a fascinating element in music...we all have little trouble recognizing the extremes...if I was at a dance club I certainly know that dancing is appropriate and dare I say, required. If I am at the Symphony (about 8 times a year for me) or any other "classical" concert (another 10 or so a year), I will be sitting absolutely still.

But in the middle it gets a bit sticky. I think we all have had people (often under the influence of psychedelics) be much too active at concerts that feature relatively calm music. It can be extraordinarily distracting. And I bet we have all been at concerts with a totally still audience despite the ferocious, rocking music occurring on stage. I certainly have seen some performers trying to get people more animated.

But in my opinion, all of this pales to the idiots that talk loudly and incessantly through a concert. That is totally inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    If I want music for the body, I will probably attend a different kind of band. I don't like having to stand for 2 or 3 hours especially if people are not actively dancing. I find it quite annoying actually.
    I'm happiest with bands being diverse enough to cross from requiring the audience to be quietly attentive to being actively engaged. Sometimes those changes happen between sets, albums, songs or even passages in a single song. The more a set involves these changes in melodic flow or groove to invite or suppress rhythmic participation, the more happy I am standing through it. That's why I feel that the current Wilson tour will suit The State Theatre more than the Raven tour did.

Last night's show in Atlanta was a great as expected! Full house. Intelligent rock lives!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Last night's show in Atlanta was a great as expected! Full house. Intelligent rock lives!!
    Great to hear.
    It (the PHX show) really was a stellar show.

Having a great mix makes SUCH a difference! Seems like most every PT show I saw was rudely dominated by a very LOUD kick drum and low end mush. Since he went solo be must have changed the sound guy, or something because it's been much clearer.

Clipboard01.jpg

Wes' opening set was pretty cool too. He's got some balls to get up there and jam along with canned tracks. Gotta say it's better than standing up there strumming an acoustic though. For a rock show like this it was the best way to go. His canned drums sounded very real too... Whoever called his stuff "PT-lite" was pretty much on the money and made for a good opener.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Having a great mix makes SUCH a difference! Seems like most every PT show I saw was rudely dominated by a very LOUD kick drum and low end mush. Since he went solo be must have changed the sound guy, or something because it's been much clearer.

Clipboard01.jpg

Wes' opening set was pretty cool too. He's got some balls to get up there and jam along with canned tracks. Gotta say it's better than standing up there strumming an acoustic though. For a rock show like this it was the best way to go. His canned drums sounded very real too... Whoever called his stuff "PT-lite" was pretty much on the money and made for a good opener.
    Fascinating. I wish I could check one of his shows. Soord was great at our show but Wesley would be very cool to see.

Wesley got pretty universally panned opening for Marillion doing the same type of show. I give him credit for being a lone guy with a guitar on-stage, but most people I encountered (online and irl) seemed kinda bored by him.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Do you get into trouble at the Symphony when you dance?
    (I am only having a bit of fun with you. )...
    I've gotten some pretty serious symphony-related stage diving injuries.

What I meant is that I don't see music easily divided into "mental" vs. "physical" music. There's a great spectrum, and most of the music I love has elements of both.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I've gotten some pretty serious symphony-related stage diving injuries.

What I meant is that I don't see music easily divided into "mental" vs. "physical" music. There's a great spectrum, and most of the music I love has elements of both.
    I have fantasies of suddenly yelling out something crazy in the quiet bits.

But I am fully in your court in that for me, music is simply music. ANY music. As you say, it is simply one big spectrum. I listen to such a wide range of music including non-western music, so I am open to almost anything. Whether it is an 80-piece orchestral beast-of-a-production or two guys screwing around in a back corner with some bizarre ethnic instruments, it is still music and all of the amazing possibilities that inhabit the world of music should be free to pop up at any time. And my reaction to it is just as variable. Ideally, I'd want to be free to close my eyes in sublime concentration or leap about like a long-haired wood gnome that just had some magic mushrooms. I try not to put any preconceived constraints or expectations on the music I hear. That can be tough for many people (I sense that many people on this forum are chained by their expectations). One finds this everywhere...classical fans that exclude anything else. Rockers that cannot slow themselves down to hear a ballad, proggers that spend days arguing about which album sucks more, etc. What a waste of energy. Just let the music exist. Take what you want and leave the rest. Stop whining about what you don't like...most of us do not find it very interesting. All I ask is that they don't ruin the magic for those of us that listen with open minds and can see that magic that exists in all music.

^^^^ I hear ya, and I completely agree.