Thread: Kayo Dot, Orion Thursday Nov 3 !!!

Kayo Dot, Orion Thursday Nov 3 !!!

(This is a copy and paste from an Orion email notice)
    8:00pm, Thursday, November 3rd
    The Orion LiveMusic Showcases
    present:
    Kayo Dot
    So this show just came "out of the blue". Orion is a last-minute replacement for a performance that was supposed to happen elsewhere but "stuff" hath happened. And I could not be happier! Kayo Dot has appeared here twice as part of our showcase series, and both times they were utterly amazing, creating soundscapes and moods unlike any other band. Here's hoping you can make it down to the studio this Thursday night to catch one of the most fiercely creative bandss around, Kayo Dot, one of my absolute favorite bands. And, ya - I'm trying to get an opener!

They are currently touring in support of their newest album, "Plastic House on Base of Sky". Here's their official bio:

Kayo Dot has never made the same record twice. To read various descriptions from magazines and reviews, you might feel like you couldn't be reading about the same band. From chamber music to black metal to goth to jazz and avant-garde classical -- nothing really fits. Is Hubardo the "true" Kayo Dot? Is Coffins on Io? Choirs of the Eye? Does the question need an answer?

Toby Driver, the primary composer and frontman for the band, has been fiercely productive over the years, and while that usually refers to how many songs or albums an artist has made, with Driver the productivity is in the realm of ideas as much as music itself. In the course of a single Kayo Dot song, the amount of risks and liberties taken with form and convention usually outnumbers what other artists cover in a full album. That's not to say Kayo Dot doesn't have an impressive catalog. Neither is the band jarring the listener from one absurd extreme to another just to prove a point. For as much ground as they cover, it's always in the service of a carefully curated mood.

The core of Kayo Dot might be that mood, one that lies at the crossroads of darkness and mystery. In films, the music that accompanies mystery is almost always nocturnal, probably playing on some primal relation in our brains between the unknown and the night time. It's at this intersection that one is most likely to nail down what Kayo Dot is all about. Driver still collaborates with former maudlin of the Well bandmate Jason Byron, with Jason handling lyrical duties. Byron, who is a lifelong student of the occult, gives the listener a feast of words to unpack that are as elusively satisfying as the labyrinths of sound they travel through. Whether by way of menacing guitars, ethereal woodwinds, or alien electronics, there's always a sense that a new passage could open, that around the next corner could be anything: a beast or some figure of erotic desire.

Kayo Dot have played the stages of Roadburn and SXSW. In 2015, Driver organized and played a 12-concert, career-spanning residency at The Stone in New York. Kayo Dot records have appeared on labels as diverse and distinguished as Hydra Head, The Flenser, and John Zorn's Tzadik. With the release of 2016's Plastic House on Base of Sky, they take a decidedly electronic turn, incorporating a variety of synthesizers (many of them vintage analog) to create another work of ambition and magnitude that fuses the explosive musical imagination of a band like Magma with the forward-thinking experimentalism of Conrad Schnitzler or Morton Subotnick.

Everything is fluid. The only constant is change. You can't step in the same river twice. Many people hold these truths to be self-evident. As these ideas become even more more commonplace, it only makes sense that musicians should defy the demand to answer the question "Who are you?" The refusal to answer is, in a way, the best answer possible. Kayo Dot is what that refusal sounds like.

– Joshua Strawn

Da Rulz:

All ages show
    BYOB - coolers cool
    Small folding chairs recommended
    $15 at the door

Upcoming Shows:
    Saturday, Nov 12th: Schnellertollermeier (from Switzerland)
    Last edited by markwoll; 11-01-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm hoping to make this, but it's 50/50 at this point. May not be able to get out of the DC area in time to reach Baltimore.

Should be an AMAZING show.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

If I can ditch my flu and my car car doesn't get totaled like the last time Kayo Dot played Orion, I am so there....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The new album is great (again), but I ain't got'em moneys to fly from here (Oslo) to Baltimore right now. I'd go see them in a slap if they played Copenhage, though. Or somewhere like Hamburg.

Still one of my fave bands in the whole wide.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The new album is great (again), but I ain't got'em moneys to fly from here (Oslo) to Baltimore right now. I'd go see them in a slap if they played Copenhage, though. Or somewhere like Hamburg.

Still one of my fave bands in the whole wide.
    Wow....and I'm griping about the measly 45 miles between here and Baltimore!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Wow....and I'm griping about the measly 45 miles between here and Baltimore!

i guess I will see you there, John....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I know, seriously...

I really *want* to be there. I have late work meetings though, so it all depends on when I can finally hit the road. With DC traffic at the wrong hour, I might as well be in Oslo!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I have late work meetings though, so it all depends on when I can finally hit the road. With DC traffic at the wrong hour, I might as well be in Oslo!
    You'll effectively Skype those meetings on your smartassphone with the Toby Dots juicin' up in the background.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

its the new era, innit?