Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage receivers/amps/separates

Vintage receivers/amps/separates

In response to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I kind of want to create a parallel thread like this for receivers. Mainly because I’m getting all misty-eyed and nostalgic for my old Pioneer solid-state receiver with the solid wood top and all the black switches on the front. Can’t remember what model it was, but it was one my uncle bought in Japan. It was kind of a pain in the ass (kept blowing fuses) but when it worked, nothing else could touch it.
    My first stereo was a Pioneer SA-7500 Integrated amp. 45 WPC, but certainly would stand up to any so-called 100WPC black plastic crap receiver put out today. It sounded fantastic driving my Electro-Voice EVS-15B speakers.

I have an old Dynaco PAS-2 that used to be my workhorse back in the 70's.
    The magic smoke would issue forth if plugged in. I'll bet the caps have had it for a while.
    The monoblock tube amps went away decades ago, a friend in a band thought he could use them after I got all integrated.
    It was a nice quiet set up back when it ran. Kept my bedroom nice and warm too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I have a 1974 Pioneer SX-737 that blows the roof off anything made today, unless you want to spend thousands. This Solid-State machine is built like a battleship, weighs 45 pounds, and was made to last 25 years. 42 years later it's still making jaws drop. With 35 watts per channel, (that's REAL watts!!) it sounds more like 350 watts per channel. 20 Hertz to 20,000 Hertz with no more than 0.5% total harmonic distortion. It sounds like a crystal clear dream blast from the past. It has a great warm and tubey sound to it, a bit moreso IMO than the next Pioneers that came out in the later 70's ("The Silver Era", which is considered the best.) The 737 is a great mid-to-top model for the series.

I coupled the SX-737 with a beautifully restored pair of JBL L100's, circa 1969 a rarer configuration. I think they weigh 70 pounds each, made of Oak. Literally makes the house shake at 1/3 the way up, again, at only 35 watts per channel.

Just love this to bits.

Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-31-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Nice set up! I had a Pioneer SX626, 27W RMS per channel, driving 2 BIC VENTURI Formula 2 speakers. Great sound and never a power problem. My son still has the 626 that he uses as an amp for his computers.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I have a 1974 Pioneer SX-737 that blows the roof off anything made today, unless you want to spend thousands. This Solid-State machine is built like a battleship, weighs 45 pounds, and was made to last 25 years. 42 years later it's still making jaws drop. With 35 watts per channel, (that's REAL watts!!) it sounds more like 350 watts per channel. 20 Hertz to 20,000 Hertz with no more than 0.5% total harmonic distortion. It sounds like a crystal clear dream blast from the past. It has a great warm and tubey sound to it, a bit moreso IMO than the next Pioneers that came out in the later 70's "The Silver Era", which is considered the best. The "Silver Era" were more powerful, the top of the line "Monster Receivers" are very much desired. I don't need more power though with my JBL speakers. The 737 is a great mid-to-top model for the series.

I coupled the SX-737 with a newly beautifully restored pair of JBL L100's, circa 1969 a rarer configuration. I think they weigh 70 pounds each, made of Oak. Literally makes the house shake at 1/3 the way up, again, at only 35 watts per channel.

Just love this to bits.

That is one very sweet setup. I felt like the X3X (in your case, the 737) series was Pioneer's best line ever. The look was very sleek, and the power supplies on these were very hefty.
    I've seen some of these with the new blue LEDs, and they look spectacular. The L100s were a spectacular 12" 3-way system that make great use of the ample power of that receiver.
    My desire is to one day get a SX-1010, which was the top of this line.

I still have my JBL L40 speakers. I've replaced the surrounds twice. Onkyo 6211 amp. Discrete amp, sounds great. Old Technics turntable and Onkyo CD player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    That is one very sweet setup. I felt like the X3X (in your case, the 737) series was Pioneer's best line ever. The look was very sleek, and the power supplies on these were very hefty.
    I've seen some of these with the new blue LEDs, and they look spectacular. The L100s were a spectacular 12" 3-way system that make great use of the ample power of that receiver. My desire is to one day get a SX-1010, which was the top of this line.
    Yes. I did some research into the 70's Pioneer lines and I kept reading review after review on vintage gear forums about how collectors were surprisingly blown away by the 737, in particular the warmth of the sound. The X3X series, as you say, is considered among the best. My unit has been re-capped and has soft-blue LED's, which closely match the original fuses.

The JBL L100's I just happenstance to find. I was looking for vintage speakers on Craigslist, and found is a guy who lives just 1/2 a mile from me in town who restores old JBL's as a hobby. I bought this pair from him and then went looking for a vintage receiver to match. I have a Philips turntable, but it's a bit beaten up... I'll be replacing it when I find the right piece to go with my setup.

Finally found the model # of the receiver I used for years and years: Pioneer SX-1000TD. Came in wood-grain. Not big, but heavy as hell.

Had the chance at a vintage Hitachi receiver for $20 and a Sansui for $30. I really should have jumped all over that.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yes. I did some research into the 70's Pioneer lines and I kept reading review after review on vintage gear forums about how collectors were surprisingly blown away by the 737, in particular the warmth of the sound. The X3X series, as you say, is considered among the best. My unit has been re-capped and has soft-blue LED's, which closely match the original fuses.

The JBL L100's I just happenstance to find. I was looking for vintage speakers on Craigslist, and found is a guy who lives just 1/2 a mile from me in town who restores old JBL's as a hobby. I bought this pair from him and then went looking for a vintage receiver to match. I have a Philips turntable, but it's a bit beaten up... I'll be replacing it when I find the right piece to go with my setup.
    Yeah, the only issue I see with your setup is the turntable is right next to the speaker. The vibrations from the speaker will cause rumble and slurriness in the stylus tracking.
    One of the better used turntables that seems readily available are the Technics SLQ series (Q200, Q300, Q350). These are p-mount cartridge units, but a 40.00 AT311EP can make them sound very nice. I got my Q200 for about 90.00 on eBay. It is automatic, and the cueing drop is very smooth.

I have a 1974 Pioneer SX-737 that blows the roof off anything made today, unless you want to spend thousands. This Solid-State machine is built like a battleship, weighs 45 pounds, and was made to last 25 years. 42 years later it's still making jaws drop. With 35 watts per channel, (that's REAL watts!!) it sounds more like 350 watts per channel. 20 Hertz to 20,000 Hertz with no more than 0.5% total harmonic distortion. It sounds like a crystal clear dream blast from the past. It has a great warm and tubey sound to it, a bit moreso IMO than the next Pioneers that came out in the later 70's ("The Silver Era", which is considered the best.) The 737 is a great mid-to-top model for the series.

I coupled the SX-737 with a beautifully restored pair of JBL L100's, circa 1969 a rarer configuration. I think they weigh 70 pounds each, made of Oak. Literally makes the house shake at 1/3 the way up, again, at only 35 watts per channel.

Just love this to bits.

I guess with that Speaker next to the white pipe........with enough Bass you have the ability to really "polish a Turd!"
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Yeah, the only issue I see with your setup is the turntable is right next to the speaker. The vibrations from the speaker will cause rumble and slurriness in the stylus tracking.
    That's a good point. I rarily use the turntable, but I appreciate the feedback. When I get my new one I'll figure out where to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I guess with that Speaker next to the white pipe........with enough Bass you have the ability to really "polish a Turd!"
    It turns all the toilets into the house into a speaker system.

It turns all the toilets into the house into a speaker system.
    That gives new meaning to "music that really moves you"!

I have a 1974 Pioneer SX-737
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I had a Pioneer SX626
    I had the SX-686 in the mid-70s; a workhorse.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Here's a pic of the SA-7500 that I had for at least about 15 years.SA7500.jpg

Here's a pic of the SA-7500 that I had for at least about 15 years.SA7500.jpg
    Here's the BIC 980.

...and my second turntable was the Technics SL-1401

Electro-Voice EVS-15B speakers were a 10" woofer 3-way system. Lacking somewhat in bass, but well balanced and very efficient. Couldn't find a good pic
    Koss Phase 2 headphones - 2 pairs of drivers per cup with one pair tiltable to change the soundstage. Basically a modified Pro4AA
    phase2.jpg
    Sennheiser HD-224 lacking in bass, but wow, did they have great detail! I had these about 20 years.
    sennheiser-HD224-150x150.jpg

I was (slightly) mistaken above. The receiver I owned was a Pioneer SX-1000TW. I believe the SX-1000×× was Pioneer’s first solid-state line. Incidentally, that SX-737 with its blue lighting and sleek silver case has me wiping drool off my chin. Gorgeous, and I bet it sounds fantastic.

Still looking for that solid-state receiver I’ll fall in love with all over again. In the meantime, I wandered into the El Cerrito Recycling Center and someone laid this at my feet:

That, my friends, is a Tascam 302 dual cassette deck. I’d been needing to replace my ailing (low-end) Pioneer dual tape deck for a while now. I absolutely never expected someone (who I swear was part ninja) to offer me a high-end replacement for free! And it works perfectly! Got it home and cleaned it up and it works great.

For the record, the sacrificial tape was You’re All I Need, a 1988 EMI Manhattan release from former Labelle member Sarah Dash. Ironically, this was something I had found as a freebie at the El Cerrito Recycling Center’s Exchange Zone years before:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Incidentally, that SX-737 with its blue lighting and sleek silver case has me wiping drool off my chin. Gorgeous, and I bet it sounds fantastic.
    Hey thanks! Yeah, sometimes I end up laughing with joy when playing certain albums on it. I actually have 2 of them. One has all original parts and was not cleaned, and one has been meticulously cleaned and re-capped (the one pictured) but I swear the untouched one sounds better. It has an old-amp sound to it, very tubey and sensitive... overly loud. I can't turn it up more than 1/4 the way otherwise the walls shake. But likely it didn't sound this way new, the recapped one is likely more how the 737 sounded new. I just worry the old one will go at some point since it's 43 years old untouched, so I got a re-capped one to replace. Esthetically it looks better as well, the whole unit has been thoroughly cleaned and lights replaced.

That, my friends, is a Tascam 302 dual cassette deck. ... I absolutely never expected someone to offer me a high-end replacement for free! And it works perfectly! Got it home and cleaned it up and it works great.
    Sweet!!! I remember those Tascam's. Yeah, vintage gear is not expensive. That's the kick in the head. It's like the best kept secret.

I was (slightly) mistaken above. The receiver I owned was a Pioneer SX-1000TW. I believe the SX-1000×× was Pioneer’s first solid-state line. Incidentally, that SX-737 with its blue lighting and sleek silver case has me wiping drool off my chin. Gorgeous, and I bet it sounds fantastic.

Still looking for that solid-state receiver I’ll fall in love with all over again. In the meantime, I wandered into the El Cerrito Recycling Center and someone laid this at my feet:

That, my friends, is a Tascam 302 dual cassette deck. I’d been needing to replace my ailing (low-end) Pioneer dual tape deck for a while now. I absolutely never expected someone (who I swear was part ninja) to offer me a high-end replacement for free! And it works perfectly! Got it home and cleaned it up and it works great.

For the record, the sacrificial tape was You’re All I Need, a 1988 EMI Manhattan release from former Labelle member Sarah Dash. Ironically, this was something I had found as a freebie at the El Cerrito Recycling Center’s Exchange Zone years before:

I live in Richmond Annex. We're practically neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was always something special about those old receivers and integrated amps with the big knobs and tons of adjustability. I guess you had to grow up in that age to fully appreciate them. Now everything is sleek and hidden behind digital menu's.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I had a small Pioneer reciever at first 2 x 15 watts. sounded good and much louder than just 15 watts.

Then I bought this beauty:

The next was a pioneer 2 x 180 watts receiver ! - it was loud but didn't sound that good, but I needed something for my Snell A II loudspeakers.

Then I went into the Hi-Fi higher end with a Electrocompaniet power amp, didnt like it, then a Threshold power amp and a Onkyo preamp.
    Cant remember what came next ... but I went through many combinations. Also tube amps.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Anybody ever get into open reel/reel to reel players?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Anybody ever get into open reel/reel to reel players?
    This guy:

Myself, I don't buy it. There is so much figetting required to keep a R2R running, and there is NOTHING available pre-recorded. Those that were, were crappy high-speed dubs.

So, no reels for me. Been there done that moved on.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    This guy:

Myself, I don't buy it. There is so much figetting required to keep a R2R running, and there is NOTHING available pre-recorded. Those that were, were crappy high-speed dubs.

So, no reels for me. Been there done that moved on.
    I've seen that video and others. My brother loved his back when.

I loved my Revox A77 back then too (BOTH of them). And my TEAC A-3340S.

But that was back then. Today newer technology has totally made reel machines obsolete. Digital is exponentially better in every regard.