Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New from ProgQuebec : Maelstrom (1976)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    "Crossover", perhaps.
    Nah, "Crossover Prog" is legit. That's Prog that breaks your ankles when it drives to the basket.

Got this from Wayside today, gave it a first spin tonight. Super album. Definitely up there with the great Prog rarity "one-offs" like Mirthrandir, Cathedral, Yezda Urfa (yeah, they have two, but close enough), Et Ceterta, etc. (pun intended ). Up there with top Quebecois Prog like Sloche and Opus One for me as well, probably even better than Opus One. Maelstrom have certainly listened to some Gentle Giant, and it shows in their stuff, but they have their own sound and aren't a clone. I say grab it before it's gone!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Up there with top Quebecois Prog like Sloche and Opus One for me as well, probably even better than Opus One.
    Opus 1 was actually a Yugoslavian 70s heavy progressive band. The Quebecois band's name was Opus-5.

Bill, it's unfathomably important that you get this right from now on. Please, for God's sake - get yourself together.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Opus 1 was actually a Yugoslavian 70s heavy progressive band. The Quebecois band's name was Opus-5.

Bill, it's unfathomably important that you get this right from now on. Please, for God's sake - get yourself together.
    Gads, you're absolutely correct! Serves me right posting after a cocktail and half a bottle of wine!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My copy arrived today. Case was smashed to bits and the disc has a nearly 1/8" crack on the rim outside the playing surface. Don't know if it will play properly or not.
    Well, it played OK. (Who knows over time.) Anyway, first impression is that this isn't a good album. It's a great album. My favorite thus far from Quebec. Might even call this essential.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Anyway, first impression is that this isn't a good album. It's a great album. My favorite thus far from Quebec. Might even call this essential.
    I gave this a few listens in the background after it first came in and was impressed enough for an archival release. Really sat down with it yesterday with a friend over and truly got excited. This is an excellent album, period, and displays a lot of the tendencies that the best Quebecois prog has. This certainly made the rare CD purchase for me worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    What's with this Yves St-Laurent dude for numerisation of the tapes, in the credits?? Is that his real name?
    He's digital transfer magician, well known in the world of classical music:
    http://www.78experience.com/welcome.php?mod=accueil

Quote Originally Posted by akond View Post
    He's digital transfer magician, well known in the world of classical music:
    http://www.78experience.com/welcome.php?mod=accueil

Wow... remastering 78 RPM, uh?? why not after all...

NNah, this was double funny for me, aside the french fashion dude, my brothers are xalled Laurent and Yves, and I used to call them Laurent St-Yves.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Received this Mailstrom yesterday and enjoy it quite a lot.
    The only thing I regret is that I stopped the French lessons when I was 16. Would have been nice to be able to read all the info in the booklet.

They have an English version of the booklet on the Web, oddly enough. I don't have the URL handy but it should be in the booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    They have an English version of the booklet on the Web, oddly enough. I don't have the URL handy but it should be in the booklet.
    just look up the PQ site at the album's page, and there is even a link for the lyrics translations.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Played a couple more songs last night filling in for Mark at the station. You can listen here:

http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/29942.html

Is there a digital download version of this available somewhere? I don't buy physical media any longer.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Thanks. Yeah, after posting I thought of that possibility too. Here it is: http://www.maelstromquebec.com/english.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Is there a digital download version of this available somewhere? I don't buy physical media any longer.
    There is a digital version available but it's a bit more work.
    1) Order CD
    2) Rip it.

Just listened today for the first time. Good stuff.

Edit: I also got the Sloche album "J'Un Oeil" which is completely kicking my ass. I will have to try to get the other Sloche album ASAP.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 11-26-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    <sig out of order>

There is a digital version available but it's a bit more work.
    1) Order CD
    2) Rip it.
    Great one! I love what I hear on this one.. Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Edit: I also got the Sloche album "J'Un Oeil" which is completely kicking my ass. I will have to try to get the other Sloche album ASAP.
    Both albums are solid gold classics in my book. If you dig one you will dig the other.

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

A couple of vintage ads for Maelstrom as the opening act for VdGG in Montreal and Quebec City, 1976.

Another solid find for progquebec... hope the labels rumored demise is not true. There are still releases that need to be preserved or at least given proper releases (Les Temps and Opus5 both could do with new reissues... Opus5 in particular would greatly benefit from something more than the bare-boned releases that disque L'aller-retour gave them.)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Opus5 in particular would greatly benefit from something more than the bare-boned releases that disque L'aller-retour gave them.
    They're probably my fave Quebecois together with Sloche and Harmonium, and one of few bands from the region to really sum up the whole deal of what made the music special coming from there. Still I can't see reissues happening, as there's simply not enough reception to be expected; those who'd yearn for some Opus-5 already have and keep them. If they can't find a channel to release the individual titles by a locally relatively significant act such as Octobre, then there's preciously little hope for Opus-5. I'd love to know if there was unreleased material, though - as basically all known stuff by them was of a very high standard.

I think the Les Temps CD reissues from ultimo 15 years back are still in circulation. Sound is tolerable, not great.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

[QUOTE=Still I can't see reissues happening, as there's simply not enough reception to be expected; those who'd yearn for some Opus-5 already have and keep them. .[/QUOTE]

So true.... But would those who have Opus-5 already be willing to upgrade for a better package with decent notes and possible bonus tracks? I know I would, as for Les Temps those ultimo reissues are really rather hard to find. I guess its a question about the mandate of ProgQuebec... if its to make money, they are in the wrong business, but if its as a historical archival outfit that is willing to at break even I for one salute them and support them where I can... as for Octobre, man wouldn't that be great if that could have been done better....

And chances are

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    So true.... But would those who have Opus-5 already be willing to upgrade for a better package with decent notes and possible bonus tracks? I know I would
    Me too. And perhaps a hundred others?

I mean, seriously; not even purported "prog fans" are much interested in new and/or "other" names unless these serve to confirm and/or cimpliment what's already known and appreciated. A dying breed, that's what we are - those of us who actually "yearn".

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Both albums are solid gold classics in my book. If you dig one you will dig the other.
    Yes, thank you - the reviews I found around the web also indicated that. I listened to J'Un Oeil 3 times yesterday and enjoyed it more each time.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Me too. And perhaps a hundred others?

I mean, seriously; not even purported "prog fans" are much interested in new and/or "other" names unless these serve to confirm and/or cimpliment what's already known and appreciated. A dying breed, that's what we are - those of us who actually "yearn".
    sucks getting old doesn't it...

And chances are