Thread: Sellersville Theater

Sellersville Theater

Thinking about scoring tickets to Brand X again @ Sellersville in Jan. Nice Venue?? Looks like there isn't a bad seat in the theater. Capacity???

Not sure of the capacity, but it's pretty small. And they get some pretty good acts, too. Great place to see live music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yes, very nice venue with some old-time personality. It's pretty small, which is just what I like. The view's fine from anywhere (this is from the entrance at the rear of the room).

It's fairly out of the way as Philly-area theaters go, but for the right acts I've always found it worth the trip.
    Last edited by Spiral; 10-26-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Really wish that the Keswick would spend the money to refurbish and get new seating. Love the size of the venue, but it has no aesthetics whatsoever and the seats suck.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I grew up in the '70s and '80s in the town next door (Perkasie). Back then it was a dumpy movie theater. Then I saw Jon Anderson there a few years ago and was amazed by the transformation. It's a wonderful small venue. Great acoustics. And the restaurant next door (The Washington House) is superb. Highly recommended!

Space Cadet
    It is my favorite venue in the Philly area by far. Great views from any seat (roughly 330 capacity, give or take), great sound, wonderful staff. Plentiful free parking in the immediate area as well. Even the drink/snack prices are reasonable! I always make it a point to hit up the Washington House (restaurant located next door) prior to every show, as they too offer a very high quality experience for what I consider to be a fair price. Absolutely recommended.

Had the Brand X show gone on sale prior to the Havana show I would have put off seeing them until they got to ST. It is a worlds-better experience seeing a show here.

Saw Knight Area there a few years ago and I loved the Sellersville Theater. Wish I could make the Brand X show but it's too long of a drive for me in the dead of winter.
    David J. Wimer, author of The Seatopia Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Thinking about scoring tickets to Brand X again @ Sellersville in Jan. Nice Venue?? Looks like there isn't a bad seat in the theater. Capacity???
    325. Great venue. I used to go there quite a bit until I moved away from the area.

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    I grew up in the '70s and '80s in the town next door (Perkasie). Back then it was a dumpy movie theater. Then I saw Jon Anderson there a few years ago and was amazed by the transformation. It's a wonderful small venue. Great acoustics. And the restaurant next door (The Washington House) is superb. Highly recommended!
    I lived in Perkasie too up until two years ago. I now live at least an hour away but am much closer to the city so I can't complain too much. I was only about a mile and a half away from ST when I lived there and saw 8 shows there in the three years I lived there(including Knight Area, King's X, Ozric Tentacles, District 97 with John Wetton, Security Project and Nektar among others). I also saw several shows there before that including Uriah Heep, Steve Hackett, Echolyn, Spock's Beard, California Guitar Trio and Jon Anderson and possibly a few others. The acoustics there are very good and there's really no bad seat in the house.

When I was there, I felt it was a nice theater, but very compact on the sides. Seemed odd how tight to the wall the aisle seats are.

Ember
    I love Sellersville if I can get seats in the front half. IMO the room is too deep, and the back rows are too far away. When you're in the front it's like watching a band in an intimate small theater. When you're in the back it's like watching a small theater with a show going on in it, surrounded by your noisy, inattentive friends.

The loudest show I've seen in the last 10 years was Electric Strawbs at Sellersville. The only time I remember that it took until the next morning for my ears to decompress, the only time I wished for earplugs.

We've really enjoyed the many acoustic shows we've seen there. The Roches. Brewer & Shipley. Patty Larkin and Jonatha Brooke. The Medieval Baebes.

^ I heard someone else say that about the electric Strawbs too(or maybe it was you in another thread). The loudest show I've seen(and heard)at the Sellersville Theater was Uriah Heep. Other than that I think the loudest concert I ever attended was Yes on their Union tour. It was at an outdoor venue and I still have tinitus because of Trevor Rabin's screeching guitar.

Ember
    That was me in another thread. Interestingly, my wife (a huge Cousins fan) had no problems with it. But she left the recent Kansas show (which I loved and had no issues with) complaining of tinnitus for days and swearing off rock concerts. So I've recruited a "concert buddy" for ARW, Marillion, and Pat Metheny in January.

Not a bad seat in the house.....I've never had volume issues there.

I was just at The Sellersville Theater last Friday evening for Classic Albums Live doing Dark Side of The Moon. Great small theater and as had been said, great restaurant next door. A little out of the way but a win win.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    That was me in another thread. Interestingly, my wife (a huge Cousins fan) had no problems with it. But she left the recent Kansas show (which I loved and had no issues with) complaining of tinnitus for days and swearing off rock concerts. So I've recruited a "concert buddy" for ARW, Marillion, and Pat Metheny in January.
    Usually I don't because I wear earplugs but sometimes if I don't push them in far enough I will. For UH it was probably partly my fault for not pushing the earplugs in deep enough. I saw the (electric)Strawbs there in 04 but don't remember it being particularly loud.

Also, at some point I tried to always get the first row of the back section. That way I didn't have to worry about leg room issues since I admit the seating is a bit tight.

The loudest show that I ever saw there was Molly Hatchet...go figure

ST94 is the only place I've seen a decibel chart on the way into the room helpfully listing the volume from soundcheck and comparing it to levels where earplugs are recommended (this was for Stick Men). I wonder why more venues don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I lived in Perkasie too up until two years ago.
    Go Perkasie! Not to derail the thread, but I was in the area a couple weeks ago and had brunch at the Washington House. They've turned the upper floors into a sweet little boutique hotel. A nice option if you're attending a concert at the theater next door.

Usually I don't because I wear earplugs but sometimes if I don't push them in far enough I will.
    Call me crazy, but to me it makes no sense to pay to see a concert that I will have to stuff earplugs into my ears so that I don't damage my ears. The plugs will muffle the sound terribly on top of that.

Why bands and venues play music so loud is beyond my comprehension. Why people attend and agree to that kind of volume level is as well.

That whole ideology of ear splitting rock music should have died off in the 70's with The Who, Heep, Sabbath, Zep and AC DC.

Prog rock should not have followed that model, instead, played at a volume that is proper for the human experience without having to muffle with cotton or plugs. I can promise you, it doesn't sound better with crap in your ears.

Most indoor theater style venues or clubs would do just fine without miking up the drum kit.

The Jazz guys had it right a long time ago. Play the instruments as they were meant to be played in all their tonal quality and beauty. Leave the ear damage stuff to fans of run of the mill rock bands who use volume to cover up their lack of musicianship.

Quote Originally Posted by contemplator View Post
    Call me crazy, but to me it makes no sense to pay to see a concert that I will have to stuff earplugs into my ears so that I don't damage my ears. The plugs will muffle the sound terribly on top of that.

Why bands and venues play music so loud is beyond my comprehension. Why people attend and agree to that kind of volume level is as well.

That whole ideology of ear splitting rock music should have died off in the 70's with The Who, Heep, Sabbath, Zep and AC DC.

Prog rock should not have followed that model, instead, played at a volume that is proper for the human experience without having to muffle with cotton or plugs. I can promise you, it doesn't sound better with crap in your ears.

Most indoor theater style venues or clubs would do just fine without miking up the drum kit.

The Jazz guys had it right a long time ago. Play the instruments as they were meant to be played in all their tonal quality and beauty. Leave the ear damage stuff to fans of run of the mill rock bands who use volume to cover up their lack of musicianship.
    These days, you have to play loud enough so that you can be heard over the audience talking, yelling, screaming and talking on their phones.

[Call me crazy, but to me it makes no sense to pay to see a concert that I will have to stuff earplugs into my ears so that I don't damage my ears. The plugs will muffle the sound terribly on top of that.]

Ok, you're crazy! I've been wearing earplugs to shows for probably over 15 years now(if not more)and they do not lessen my enjoyment of the show at all. In fact if anything they enhance it. Sometimes I'll loosen the earplugs a bit(usually only the right ear since that ear doesn't have the tinnitis)but typically they are jammed in there. You said they will muffle the sound terribly. How do you know? Have you ever tried using them? All they do is make the sound less loud to your ears. They are a godsend for me and really make it possible for me to not only go to shows but enjoy them as well. To each their own though. I've actually had people tell me stories of being temporarily deaf (up to two or three days)due to loud shows and that's something that would not have happened if they had earplugs in.

I've been wearing earplugs to shows for probably over 15 years now(if not more)and they do not lessen my enjoyment of the show at all. In fact if anything they enhance it. ... All they do is make the sound less loud to your ears. They are a godsend for me and really make it possible for me to not only go to shows but enjoy them as well.
    Yeah, I started bringing plugs to every show in my early 20s. A few post-concert mornings of ringing ears was enough to convince me I didn't want to damage myself and that cliche "if it's too loud, you're too old" attitude is just plain stupid.

contemp is absolutely right. It's great when there's no amping needed (one of the reasons I love Sofar shows), but that's really rare outside of small jazz combos or drummer-less acoustic groups like the CGT. Just about anyone else cranks it up way too much for no comprehensible reason, whether it's a big theater or tiny club. It sucks, but it's one of the things you put up with if you don't want to miss seeing them at all.

Having earplugs doesn't detract from the show, though. Rather the opposite. Often it makes things clear and listenable when I'd otherwise hear almost nothing but high-end static.

Space Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Yeah, I started bringing plugs to every show in my early 20s. A few post-concert mornings of ringing ears was enough to convince me I didn't want to damage myself and that cliche "if it's too loud, you're too old" attitude is just plain stupid.

Having earplugs doesn't detract from the show, though. Rather the opposite. Often it makes things clear and listenable when I'd otherwise hear almost nothing but high-end static.
    Agreed 100%. I've been using these for about 15 years and they work wonderfully. Using plugs designed for shooting or jackhammering will absolutely muffle the sound, but these essentially just turn down the volume a few clicks. Cuts out a lot of high-end distortion too (mic feedback, etc.) that otherwise feels like an icepick being jabbed in my head. Unless it is some kind of solo acoustic performance I wear them every single time I go to a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    Agreed 100%. I've been using these for about 15 years and they work wonderfully. Using plugs designed for shooting or jackhammering will absolutely muffle the sound, but these essentially just turn down the volume a few clicks. Cuts out a lot of high-end distortion too (mic feedback, etc.) that otherwise feels like an icepick being jabbed in my head. Unless it is some kind of solo acoustic performance I wear them every single time I go to a show.
    Same here. I use these too though I'm due for a fresh pair. Thanks for the link.