Thread: ZNR

ZNR

ZNR is a french group that released two albums in the end of the seventies. I have their first record, Barricade 3, which is quite nice. It mixes different influences and diverse instrumentation in a series of short, almost vignette-type tracks. The sonority, which is partly bizarre, partly dream-like with child-like flavor kinds of reminds me of the first Aksak Maboul album.

They also have a second album, Traite de Mechanique Populaire, which has never had released on cd. So it seems that ReR has just released both albums in a 3cd box together with the first cd release ever of Joseph Racaille and Partick Portella’s LP Les Flots Bleus.

www.rermegacorp.com

Any love for ZNR? I’ve never listened to Traite de Mechanique Populaire, is it as nice as Barricade 3? And what about this Joseph Racaille and Partick Portella’s LP?

[EDIT: Traite de Mechanique Populaire has in fact been released previously on cd, but decades ago].
    Last edited by Conti; 10-26-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Big fan here.I have both cds but play Barricade 3 much more often than Traite.Traite was available(probably for a short time) on cd,i got it through a Discogs seller a few years ago.I'll give this new box set a look see.Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by walt; 10-26-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Big fan here.I have both cds but play Barricade 3 much more often than Traite.Traite was available(probably for a short time) on cd,i got it through a Discogs seller a few years ago.I'll give this new box set a look see.Thanks for the heads up.
    Thanks for the answer. I will certainly pick up this box. It looks like a must have for fans.

Traite is my favourite of these albums. It is professionally recorded and more arranged than Barricade, which sounds like a home recording. Les Flots Bleu is also professionally recorded, but with more sparse arrangements - multitracked clarinets or piano, clarinet and singing. The Racaille ep sounds like home recordings also. But all albums are highly recommended for all who haven't got them. There is nothing like them.

I love Barricade
    One of those weird/wonderful albums
    For a short while Traite de Mechanique Populaire was released on cd
    and there is always polarizing opinions aover these 2 albums some love the 2nd some swear by the 1st

Both are fantastic, but Traite contains some of the most serenely beautiful post-modernist music I've ever heard.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have Barricade 3 - I like it, its a quiet, quirky and french album that I spin occasionally but not often.
    Dunno the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I have Barricade 3 - I like it, its a quiet, quirky and french album that I spin occasionally but not often.
    Dunno the others.
    Traite is the closest thing to an 'eric satie avant progressive' band that will likely ever exist.

really great album.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I have/like Barricade, never heard Traite. Will have to check into this box
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Traite is the closest thing to an 'eric satie avant progressive' band that will likely ever exist.

really great album.
    Sounds like I should make an investement!

Just curious Steve...I'm guessing this will make an appearance at Chez Wayside sometime in the near future?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Just curious Steve...I'm guessing this will make an appearance at Chez Wayside sometime in the near future?
    Yes, I believe so. We usually end up with all the ReR releases, sometimes sooner than later and sometimes later than sooner.

But I specifically inquired about this and was told that it was coming!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Fantastic...I shall begin counting coins

I also love these albums, much pure musical genius. I was asked to remaster all of them for a new release, which I did, but haven't heard anything about it since. Hoping they do get released and find some new listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    I also love these albums, much pure musical genius. I was asked to remaster all of them for a new release, which I did, but haven't heard anything about it since. Hoping they do get released and find some new listeners.
    Good news. Hopefully this recently released box uses your remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Good news. Hopefully this recently released box uses your remasters.
    My masters haven't been sent anywhere yet, I'm still waiting for some info from Joseph about the song titles (he told me they were wrong on the old CD) so when the box is released, (presumably!) it will be my remasters.
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 10-27-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Have to be honest:
    Thanks!, first time here!

Love what I found at YT, for example:

- La pointe de tes seins est comme un p tale de pavot (Barricade 3):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qhdxVPK2_k

- Solo un día:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SFbYes4PSw

- Garden Party:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doq52jRSJVo

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Sounds like I should make an investement!
    Until now, there was only an expensive Jap (or Korean?) CD release available of Traite. I played it practically to death before obtaining the original vinyl, now I've got them both.

To describe how much I cherish it; I was going to give away my CD of it to a girl I really wanted to get somewhat of a hold on, and I usually go out of my way for that. Although pretty damn certain that she'd have loved the thing, I simply couldn't part with it. Having recently gotten both the CD and vinyl reissue of the first Aksak Maboul, I presented her with the CD of that instead.

Unfortunately she just uttered something about me being an "[...] utter weirdo for listening to such stuff", so I'm glad I kept the ZNR.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah - no girls are worth that big a sacrifice !

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Until now, there was only an expensive Jap (or Korean?) CD release available of Traite. I played it practically to death before obtaining the original vinyl, now I've got them both.
    My CD copy of Traite was made in Czech Republic, I think, and it wasn't expensive. But it didn't have a nice cover. The original LP album art is a real gem. I hope they reproduce that.

I searched online for a reasonably priced cd of Traite for over a year, to no avail.Finally i found a Discogs seller who didn't want an arm and a leg for a near mint copy.Glad i pounced on that.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I searched online for a reasonably priced cd of Traite for over a year, to no avail.Finally i found a Discogs seller who didn't want an arm and a leg for a near mint copy.Glad i pounced on that.
    Discogs is a wonderful, dangerous place