Thread: David Sylvian's Best Work?

David Sylvian's Best Work?

My favourites are

Nine Horses "Snow Borne Sorrow"

and

"Blemish"

Half of Dead Bees on a Cake is excellent. The same goes for Manafon, Beehive and Fripp/Sylvian.

In my opinion nothing he did compares to Secrets Of A Beehive. What a meaningful album.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

^ Seconded. Secrets Of A Beehive is exceptional.

I like the Fripp Sylvian - The First Day album an awful lot.

My favorite is "Gone To Earth". A double album and not a wasted minute.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like Secrets Of The Beehive and The First Day
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Brilliant Trees

Secrets of the Beehive, Gone To Earth & Brilliant trees are beyond compare. Highly honorable mentions to The First Day and Snow Borne Sorrow. Diminishing returns thereafter.

David Sylvian's Best Work?

I think we have this discussion quite frequently! This is a good thing as Sylvian is one of life's great artists.

Beehive, Gone To Earth and Brilliant Trees are my preferred listening. I have the more experimental later releases but do not spin as often. I enjoy Blemish too. A good collection is the Everything & Nothing set.

Of the collaborations the work with Holger Czukay are both good and the aforementioned Fripp work. Another good collection is Sleepwalkers.

Don't overlook Japan either, Tin Drum or the live Oil On Canvas are great. The Rain Tree Crow album is worth seeking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Damage

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    In my opinion nothing he did compares to Secrets Of A Beehive. What a meaningful album.
    Yeah this album remains my favorite of all. So brilliant, Orpheus is one of my all time favorite songs ever. Beautiful album.
    I much prefer his earlier works over his later works. After Dead Bees, his style started to change, I continued buying works up to Blemish, but on that one he pretty much left me behind. Everything he did or was involved with prior to Blemish was on auto buy, but haven't braved anything after that.

Big fan here. I like everything he has done even early Japan and the often critized Manafon. If I have to pick two favorites: Beehive and Blemish

Special attention for two more overlooked gems:
    Sleepwalkers: released a couple of years back. This is a compilation of tunes he did in collaboration with other artists. Essential for any David Sylvian collection
    Died in the Wool : This is mainly a rework of Manafon with a few extra tracks. In my opinion far superior to Manafon.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Yeah this album remains my favorite of all. So brilliant, Orpheus is one of my all time favorite songs ever. Beautiful album.
    Orpheus is a top 10 tune for me too, I never grow bored of hearing that beautiful song.

Damage, the org mix

Anything that is depressing. Sylvian is one of my go-to artists when the darkness comes.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Big fan here. I like everything he has done even early Japan and the often critized Manafon. If I have to pick two favorites: Beehive and Blemish

Special attention for two more overlooked gems:
    Sleepwalkers: released a couple of years back. This is a compilation of tunes he did in collaboration with other artists. Essential for any David Sylvian collection
    Died in the Wool : This is mainly a rework of Manafon with a few extra tracks. In my opinion far superior to Manafon.
    Agree about Died in the Wool!

Still a long way to go if we're gonna catch up with the Yes threads ...