Thread: Jimi Hendrix 'People, Hell and Angels'

Jimi Hendrix 'People, Hell and Angels'

Anyone hear about People, Hell and Angels? I'm curious if it is stuff that wasn't released elsewhere, or just same old stuff in a spiffy shiny package...
    Deb H

"Mom, you have a PROGlem." - from my son Douglas, age 14

www.ethelfest.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBeenEthel View Post
    Anyone hear about People, Hell and Angels? I'm curious if it is stuff that wasn't released elsewhere, or just same old stuff in a spiffy shiny package...
    the latter, I'm more than assured.

here is a track by track from the producer.... http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...rack-569208#!1

looks pretty interesting, myself I just starting getting into Jimi the last four years so I am looking forward to this.

Hmmmm... poked around and found this on Amazon:

"People, Hell & Angels is a new album of twelve never before released Jimi Hendrix studio recordings."

Earth Blues, Somewhere, Hear My Train A Comin’, Bleeding Heart, Let Me Move You, Izabella, Easy Blues, Crash Landing, Inside Out, Hey Gypsy Boy, Mojo Man, Villanova Junction Blues.

Mostly different versions of songs that can be found in one form or another on other recordings. Looks like it will be released March 5th. Gosh, now I'm in the mood for some Jimi. Wish my turntable still worked!!! LOL

I've been revisiting Jimi lately, dlg bootlegs from TTD and Dime and joined the official site. I'd like to get some stuff from Dagger Records. Anyway, re the new CD, at the official site they offer a $2-off code for pre-ordering at Amazon http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/news/j...g-march-5-2013. I'm also waiting for importcds to have it availablehttp://www.importcds.com/Search/Resu...ple+and+angels

I saw an offer for a limited edition collectors pack which includes the CD, a 116 page magazine 'Classic Rock Presents Jimi Hendrix', and a poster for £14.99. Via myfavoritemagazines.co.uk
    Order before Feb 1st to get the poster personalized with your name on it (and names of all other pre-orderers).
    Deb H

"Mom, you have a PROGlem." - from my son Douglas, age 14

www.ethelfest.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think Jimi will eventually surpass John Lennon for postumously released material. The last two "new" releases were unfinished demos plus different takes of songs already released several times over.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr
    "People, Hell & Angels is a new album of twelve *never before released Jimi Hendrix studio recordings."

Earth Blues, Somewhere, Hear My Train A Comin’, Bleeding Heart, Let Me Move You, Izabella, Easy Blues, Crash Landing, Inside Out, Hey Gypsy Boy, Mojo Man, Villanova Junction Blues.

*Mostly different versions of songs that can be found in one form or another on other recordings.
    yep
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I think Jimi will eventually surpass John Lennon for postumously released material.
    If you're referring to previously unreleased material, I'd say he passed John quite a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBeenEthel View Post
    I believe that on a recent Hawaii Five O episode, they were suppose to play some new Hendrix music.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I believe that on a recent Hawaii Five O episode, they were suppose to play some new Hendrix music.
    They did,it was from this album and you could hardly make out anything due to the low mix. I have no opinion because of that. I do know one thing,if this upcoming cd is not from Experience Hendrix aka Sister Janie,we shouldn't be buying it. If otoh,it is then by all means have at it. I thought Valleys Of Neptune was awesome.

It seems to me the best outtakes were released immediately after his death, particularly on the album which came out as 'Cry Of Love'. I had those two box-sets of ephemera out of the library and could find very little that was worth hearing more than once...and I would question whether I even needed to hear it that much. But I suppose if you are the sort of fan who enjoys demos, alternate versions etc., they would be quite good.

About the only thing I find interesting in Hendrix's catalogue that is currently unavailable are the mono mixes of his earlier work. That's certainly how his work of that period is meant to be heard IMHO, the stereo mixes are not so great of the singles and the debut album.

RE; John Lennon. There have only really been a handful of these projects- 'Milk and Honey', 'Menlove Ave.' and that big 'Anthology' set, I think there were a few things on that box-set of his remasters as well, but I don't have that. To the credit of whoever is dealing with his catalogue- Yoko Ono?- I've seen far less of that 'buy this compilation for one rare track' sort of stuff with John's posthumous catalogue. The compilations are just aimed at the casual audience, which is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It seems to me the best outtakes were released immediately after his death, particularly on the album which came out as 'Cry Of Love'. I had those two box-sets of ephemera out of the library and could find very little that was worth hearing more than once.

RE; John Lennon. His vaults have been plundered far less IMHO. There have only really been a handful of these projects- 'Milk and Honey', 'Menlove Ave.' and that big 'Anthology' set, I think there were a few things on that box-set of his remasters as well, but I don't have that. To the credit of whoever is dealing with his catalogue- Yoko Ono?- I've seen far less of that 'buy this compilation for one rare track' sort of stuff with John's posthumous catalogue. The compilations are just aimed at the casual audience, which is fine.
    I'm all but certain Yoko is in charge of all music by John.

In addition, there was also that 'Wonsuponatime' set which offered a one-disc distillation of the 'Anthology' box- again, a good idea IMHO. I was lucky enough to get that box very cheaply some years ago but looking over the track-list of the one-disc version, they did a good job of choosing the highlights. Only 'Be My Baby' is an obvious omission to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I do know one thing,if this upcoming cd is not from Experience Hendrix aka Sister Janie,we shouldn't be buying it. If otoh,it is then by all means have at it. I thought Valleys Of Neptune was awesome.
    It will be released by Experience Hendrix. I am under the impression that nowadays Experience Hendrix has total rights on anything Hendrix related. FWIW, most, if not all of the music on the upcoming Hendrix album is not really new. See the following link for a detailed breakdown of the songs and where have they appeared.

Although I was ecstatic when Alan Douglas had to return all of Hendrix's property, including master tapes, to the late rock star's father Al, I have not been too keen on the way Janie has taken over the Hendrix catalog. Experience Hendrix has become a very commercial affair with little or none regard to Hendrix's legacy based on the poor merchandise choices like Jimi Hendrix golf balls, air fresheners, infant diaper covers and red wine (Hendrix shared a bottle of red wine with his girlfriend a couple hours before he took some sleeping pills which led to his death). Also, I do not think Al would have approved the way his adoptive daughter has completely shunned Hendrix younger brother Leon from any earnings from the estate and held income from the estate to other Hendrix blood relatives.

Below is a YT clip I found on one of the "new" songs. The song features Buddy Miles on drums and Stephen Stills on bass. It sounds pretty good.

They don't own all the rights. One recording, in particular -- and IMO, one of the truly GREAT performances of the Experience -- is the Royal Albert Hall show from '69, that they have been in dispute with the filmmaker for many years, has not had an official release. And that, my friends, would be one of the essential releases of his entire catalog.

They might actually have the master tapes, because Alan (the snake) Douglas did release "Stone Free" (best version EVER!) from it on his "Concerts" album. Although, he edited it.

As a long time lover of Jimi I will have to get this when it becomes available,and I do not have any high expectations for it, it will most likely be more of the same , but hey, its Hendrix.

Another plus it that Alan Douglas will have no part in it, what a lowlife.

The Royal Albert Hall tapes have 'done the rounds' here in the UK, on all sorts of weird budget compilations. I don't know if that's true in the US.
    I have the Experience and More Experience LPs on Ember Records, but I don't think they were released in the States....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Sounds good to me, both the song and the album.

There's a good track which may be M-I-A in the current catalogue, 'Peace In Misssissippi'. I don't much care for the 'Voodoo Soup' album but I keep it for that.
    I kept Voodoo Soup for Pali Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I have the Experience and More Experience LPs on Ember Records, but I don't think they were released in the States....
    Correct. I have both of those on import. They are woefully incomplete and sound a bit muddy. But AFAIK, that was the first time we ever got a release with Jimi doing "Sunshine of Your Love."