Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phil Collins on Jimmy Fallon Live now

Personally I thought he made an arse of the big drum fill...although the rest of the drumming was fine.

When Phil did/does it, the last bit goes bah-DUM-DUM...with an extra little half beat just before the final two beats. This guy just goes DA-DA DA-DA DA-DA DA-DA DUM DUM. And one-handed? WTF??

Jefferson James
    I thought the drums came in way, way sooner. Ah, memory loss!

I'm in the camp that didn't quite connect with the vocal performance. I did enjoy Phil phrasing things differently than I'm used to hearing on the record; Elton John is a master at that, and to me Phil didn't quite get to that level with this delivery, for me anyway. Still, a very solid performance indeed, no ?tion the dude still has it.

End result is I haven't heard this song in ages and ages and it still holds up as a masterpiece of understatement-leading-to-bombastic-frenzy. Kind of like some prog songs, really. A great track illuminating how simplicity, melody, subject matter, tension and release all add up to something leaving a unique imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    finally figured out why "Questlove" (damn I hate typing that stupid moniker) did the signature tom fill of In The Air Tonight with just his right hand/right stick: it must have been a homage to Phil's legendary *one-handed drum solo* ("which he learned from a Russian spastic percussionist") that he did in his early Genesis days; damn Q's a deeper Genesis fan than I thought!

But seriously, you gotta do that fill with both hands for full dramatic effect: even the Cadbury's Gorilla knows that!!
    Yeah, I've been seeing a lot praise for Questlove nailing the drum parts. Did they watch the same performance that I did? It's clear he's out of league (and this track is one of the easier Collins drum performances).
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/