Thread: Saw Dream Theater Last Night - Spoilers

Saw Dream Theater Last Night - Spoilers

I saw Dream Theater’s “The Astonishing” tour Monday night in Grand Rapids MI. The show is a complete run through of the new album from beginning to end split into two halves with an intermission. Part one goes close to 90 minutes with the second half around an hour. The album is presented with videos and lighting that help tell the story. There are definitely some elements of Broadway / theater to some of the show. I thought they did a really nice job with the whole thing for the most part. I have only owned the album for about 2 weeks so have given it a few complete listens, but not overly familiar with it. There is a lot to absorb over the course of 2 plus hours, and the story seems to be kind of a typical tale of oppressed society, evil ruler, hero who comes forth and falls in love with the evil leaders daughter……..or something like that. Whether this goes down in history as a classic prog concept album remains to be seen I guess. Instrumentally the band played great, and Labrie’s voice was in good shape all night. He really stood out on some of the ballads. Jordan’s new keyboard rig is pretty cool, and of course Mike had a huge multilevel drum kit. It was certainly a different atmosphere from a normal Dream Theater concert with the audience sitting and listening until close to the end of the show. There was not nearly as much audience interaction as when I have seen them before, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There were a few negatives. It may have just been where we were sitting, but the sound mix left a lot to be desired. The guitar and keyboards were way up front with bass and drums buried through most of the night. Labrie’s vocals were rather muddy and it was very difficult to tell what he was singing especially on the louder rockier stuff. Like the album itself, I think the first part of it is a bit long in the tooth. There are several false ending moments, when you kind of think it is over, but it just keeps going. The 2nd half (and 2nd CD) is much more compact and moves along at a better pace IMO. Maybe it was just me, but there did not seem to be a lot of camaraderie on stage between the guys. Maybe this is due to the scripted nature of the show. John Myung especially had an expression like he would rather be anywhere else and as soon as the main show was over it was like he couldn’t to get off stage fast enough as he ran into the wings and was gone. After the encore he again made a be-line off stage right after the last note, although he did eventually come back out for a final bow with the rest of the guys. Maybe he just wasn’t feeling well or something. I think it would have been cool for the band to come out and do one or two oldies for an encore, but they stuck to the new album only. I would say the venue was less than half full. The place holds around 2500 I think. They had the upper balcony completely curtained off. The Mezzanine and floor sections were both about 2/3rds full. We about 7 rows back on the very left side of the floor and there were empty seats all around us. We moved in closer to the center for the 2nd half as the 8 seats next to us were empty.

Thanks for the review, too bad about the low turn out. I suppose the fact that you know what you're going to get in advance, ie. all of TA and no more, may keep some people away. I suspect this album has not been such a commercial success for them in a live setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Thanks for the review, too bad about the low turn out. I suppose the fact that you know what you're going to get in advance, ie. all of TA and no more, may keep some people away. I suspect this album has not been such a commercial success for them in a live setting?
    Yeah, maybe Jordan Rudess was eating chicken curry on stage too.

Yes doing all of Tales and Genesis doing all of Lamb on their respective tours back in the day were mistakes that all new prog bands should have learned from. And even then, those albums were only half as long as The Astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There are definitely some elements of Broadway / theater to some of the show....and the story seems to be kind of a typical tale of oppressed society, evil ruler, hero who comes forth and falls in love with the evil leaders daughter……..or something like that.
    Cool, I bet they nailed it on Mr. Robato!!!

Sorry but NO epics....no DT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Yes doing all of Tales and Genesis doing all of Lamb on their respective tours back in the day were mistakes that all new prog bands should have learned from. And even then, those albums were only half as long as The Astonishing.
    And I think that is part of the problem. The Astonishing is just so damn long, especially the first half. It is tough to carry a concept album anyway, especially one that clocks over 2 hours.

Seen TA 3x live...ambitious for sure...but too many not so great lyrics and
    not enough virtuoso wankfest workouts that are DTs bread & butter...
    Instead of too many notes---too many words...

"A" for effort and trying something new...but maybe if JP
    hacks off the Rip Van Winkle beard he'll be able to wake up some
    new ideas for next project..

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    ...but maybe if JP hacks off the Rip Van Winkle beard he'll be able to wake up some new ideas for next project..

The eons are closing
    Kev Moore for lyrics JP! You know its the right move!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'm Astonished you had the patience to take the whole show in! Kudos!

I thought about catching this tour, but decided "no". Reason being that The Astonishing plays to their weaknesses, rather than their strengths: Specifically, it stresses straight-up verse-chorus-bridge songwriting, lyrics, and Jimmy The Cheese's beefy, bawling baritone, rather than John, John, Jordan, and Mike's inhuman accuracy and instrumental chops. Of course, I'm not a fan of The Lamb... either, so take that into account.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 10-26-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The Astonishing plays to their weaknesses, rather than their strengths
    A perfect way to describe The Astonishing. I saw the show in April and kind of wish I skipped it because I was bored out of my mind. I decided to go to the show despite not liking the CDs because I figured I would develop a greater appreciation for The Astonishing upon seeing it performed live (and I wanted to actually hear John Myung, which is hard to do on the poorly produced studio album) - but seeing the live show actually made me like the album even less.
    David J. Wimer, author of The Seatopia Trilogy

Didn't like it at Radio City.....won tickets to see it in Port Chester last Saturday.

I think the show has improved but it is not their best undertaking.

And JP has to lose that fucking beard!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The Astonishing plays to their weaknesses, rather than their strengths: Specifically, it stresses straight-up verse-chorus-bridge songwriting
    I wouldn't call that a weakness. Some of their all-time best have been straightforward ones in my book ("Silent Man," "Lie" or "Another Day"). With this show I felt like the weakness came from the fact that they weren't writing songs, they were slotting pieces into the bigger story. Those ideas felt calculated rather than just written (if that makes sense).

Myung was on fire when I saw them a few weeks back but I'm sure the mix a something to do with that.

FWIW they appear to have added a second encore for the rest of the U.S. tour. Last night they played As I Am, The Spirit Carries On and Pull Me Under.

Not the most imaginative choices but a welcome addition to end of The Astonishing, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DTFan View Post
    FWIW they appear to have added a second encore for the rest of the U.S. tour. Last night they played As I Am, The Spirit Carries On and Pull Me Under.

Not the most imaginative choices but a welcome addition to end of The Astonishing, for sure.
    Boggles my mind that they did not do this from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by DTFan View Post

I disagree with that. I think they caved. They should have seen it through. But I suspect I hold a minority opinion. I'm just glad I got to see them do the whole thing and I really wish a live album/DVD came out of this but I guess that's not going to happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I disagree with that. I think they caved. They should have seen it through. But I suspect I hold a minority opinion. I'm just glad I got to see them do the whole thing and I really wish a live album/DVD came out of this but I guess that's not going to happen now.
    I think it will be released as a 'Live CD/DVD'. There's also talk of a novel and Broadway musical?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I think it will be released as a 'Live CD/DVD'. There's also talk of a novel and Broadway musical?
    I'd rather have the live DVD of the concert, not the musical.