Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson Appreciation Thread

Jon Anderson Appreciation Thread

Post things all positive things about Jon Anderson here! Appreciate the great work he has done up to this day! Post pictures, articles, anything you might think interest fans. :-)

I don't want no smart asses saying "I appreciate how he ruined Yes" "I appreciate how bad his singing is". No go away, only positive vibes here.

Honestly I want that jacket, if anyone knows where to get it let me know.

I've seen YES in concert 14 times and, there is no way the band can be YES without Anderson (or Squire).
    I have always witnessed Anderson to be a very positive and spiritual person; at one particular concert in Memphis on Mud Island, he was enthralled with the pyramid..........as if it were comparable to the Giza tombs.

I've heard the stories about him talking other band members down but it doesn't really seem to fit him.
    Even though he has never displayed the virtuosity of the other band members on instrumentation, he has a command of the stage and of the song that cannot be overlooked.

I like his crazy seventies lyrics

Happy 72nd Birthday, Mr Anderson - Prog God.
    The Prog Corner

Happy Birthday to Jon Anderson. I'll always appreciate the Great work he did with Yes (as both singer & lyricist). Also glad that was able to put his health problems behind him and can pursue his work as a singer again.

3 words: Olias of Sunhillow

HBD to the Magic Elf
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

A genius. Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday Cosmic Elf!

I've seen Yes with Jon so many times, hard to count them all now, but have loved most every moment. I remember Jon solo on the Song of Seven tour, plus many other times on smaller scale tours too. I've met him a few times along the journey and he has always been a likeable fellow.

I still go to see current Yes and enjoy the shows, but it really ain't the same as it was. Long may he continue to make new music, because the recent releases have been very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy birthday Jon. He's sounding great on the ARW tour. Better than I expected by far.

He's great, always will be great. And he's a fellow Scorpio!
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

The true spirit of Yes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Clipboard01.jpg

May your high vibration go on and on and on!

I never thought he'd have a chance at singing at 80, but after the show I saw a couple weeks ago I think it could happen with the way he is singing now! It's just eight years away....

I had the same thought an hour ago. With the anti-aging pills coming soon, that is possible. It won't turn him into an Olympian (and most likely not me either...) but possible to sing like this at 80.

-physics guy who keeps up on biochem...

The man is simply brilliant, and his music has been a huge part of my life. Happy birthdays!

I've long been a fan, and probably own about 95% of his stuff. I remember spending lots of fun times tracking down obscure recordings in various record stores in the area.

His body of work speaks for itself. Truly legendary. A voice that is instantly recognizable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

A huge fan, but not 95% of his musical art since not a fan of his solo work after Change We Must, which I think is excellent even if just some new songs. I doubt I'd like his IoK co-written album based on what I've heard.

But hey, Anderson is with a new group called ARW and sounds great! Now only if that wanker Rabin would kindly shuffle off the stage....

Flakey but in a good way. A one of a kind, Yes wouldn't have been what it is without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've long been a fan, and probably own about 95% of his stuff. I remember spending lots of fun times tracking down obscure recordings in various record stores in the area.

His body of work speaks for itself. Truly legendary. A voice that is instantly recognizable.
    I agree. I used to tape radio show interviews when he was on. Very entertaining. Not just of Jon but Yes and Yes members in general. The funniest one was when a certain dj had Steve Howe on to critique Jon's latest album at the time "In the city of Angels." I wish I still had that one. Priceless.

Very timely to post this today . Happy 72nd birthday Jon Anderson!!

What a great singer and a great guy. Just full of positive high energy. Really like no other. I'm amazed he's still singing so well at this age.

"Some are born to fly ... trying harder seems the only way to go..."

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree. I used to tape radio show interviews when he was on. Very entertaining. Not just of Jon but Yes and Yes members in general. The funniest one was when a certain dj had Steve Howe on to critique Jon's latest album at the time "In the city of Angels." I wish I still had that one. Priceless.
    I taped that one, too! Steve was on with Ed Sciaky. Would love to hear that again.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I will always love Jon for he was at the heart of making YES a unique prog band. He always labored to make his voice into a musical instrument, and IMO he mainly succeeded in that attempt. His first solo album "Olias" is a true solo album in the sense that he played all of the instruments, and is a beautiful work of art. His spacey acid & pot head mind made him explore new avenues in music, and release brave, and uncommercial music to large audiences the world over, like "Close to the Edge," "Tales," and "Relayer." Yes he's goofy, but his love of music and his spiritual leanings always brought light and love to the music. He's a true genius, even though some of his releases are duds. That's part of being human. YES has never been the same without him. Ask Ronnie Stolt, as their recent collaboration contains songs that are more YES like, than anything YES has done since his departure. I wish YES would bring him and Rick back again. Then the group would be legit again, not the sad tribute band they have devolved into. Long live Jon!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I taped that one, too! Steve was on with Ed Sciaky. Would love to hear that again.
    Sugarmegs has a few of these interviews you can listen to.. http://tela.sugarmegs.org/

I think "Animation" is better than at least half of the Yes albums.

The title track captures Jon at his best, IMO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Sugarmegs has a few of these interviews you can listen to.. http://tela.sugarmegs.org/
    Whoa....that site is a goldmine! And the Howe interview is there! Thanks, happy!

Whoa....that site is a goldmine! And the Howe interview is there! Thanks, happy!
    Yep, Sugarmegs is amazing 80,000-plus recordings.