Thread: Hey Drummers ...can you tell me what kind of snare set up likely got this sound?

Hey Drummers ...can you tell me what kind of snare set up likely got this sound?

Seeking analysis of the snare sound on this Gerry Rafferty karaoke version. I want to use a sound like this in a song of mine and I was wondering what we've got here. I think I hear wood. Not tuned very high. Somewhat deadened, not very ringy. What say you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201JvTHkFZE
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

It sounds like one of the Pop/Rock kits from Steven Slate Drums.....I cant remember which........short decay reverb.......almost sounds like a Piccolo snare with a slightly detuned head, doesnt it?

Sounds a little low for a piccolo snare to me, Sounds like a 14" maple, strung tight, mic'ed from the top. Compression light, threshold high enough to allow the ring to continue for about 300ms. But what do I know? I only have electronic kits. I do play around with different snare sounds though. I'm trying to get a Gavin Harrison sound. Now thats a great snare sound! more attack/pop and ring to it than this. This is not bad at all, but not terribly distinct. Sounds like its not meant to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Sounds a little low for a piccolo snare to me, Sounds like a 14" maple, strung tight, mic'ed from the top. Compression light, threshold high enough to allow the ring to continue for about 300ms.
    yeah, too low for a standard piccolo thats why i said with a detuned head ( the old 80s studio trick)...........sounds (marginally) too high for a 14" though, doesnt it? maybe a 13"?

Thanks for these insights guys!,... I think you've more or less sorted it out for me (appreciated). That should be enough info that I can come close enough to reproducing it. And mentioning Steven Slate might make it that much easier.. assuming there are already ballpark samples available. 3 cheers oh ye wise ones... Jim
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com