Page 38 of 185 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

chalkpie
    I only played two tracks last night (but played each one twice):

The Stench of Honey
    The Everso Closely Guarded Line

What can I say? Nothing really to express the pure genius and organic beauty of those tunes. These compositions could be absolutely boiled down and studied in any fine music institution as well as enjoyed over a bottle of brew with a group of friends. I have the habit of saying "X" is one of the greatest Cardiacs tune, so I guess I'll say it again about these two tunes.

Like Ian Anderson Zombywoof said - what is it about the power of this band that makes us (me, you) keep revisiting them and make them an almost religious-like ritual part of our lives? Not many bands have that power for me (maybe Magma at times, Henry Cow, Hatfield, Zappa) but I would have serious withdrawals if I couldn't hear this music on an almost daily basis. I'm am now realizing this that I am pretty much a Cardiacs junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I wonder how many of us search for "Nymphs" on Wayside at least once a day. Or maybe I am the only one cool enough to do that.
    laugh.

They really are coming.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

chalkpie
    OK, so my Maresnest DVD doesn't play in my Blu-Ray player. Ian said that his played either in his old DVD or gaming system (XBOX?). Can anybody get their copy to play in a BR player?

Rats.

Mine worked in my old DVD player and in my Computer. Have not tried in my gaming system yet (PS2 - Mike is the Xbox guy!)
    Last edited by zombywoof; 11-23-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Great article by Kavus Torabi on Cardiacs.

http://prog.teamrock.com/features/20...de-to-cardiacs
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Mine worked in my old DVD player and in my Conputer. Have not tried in my gaming system yet (PS2 - Mike is the Xbox guy!)
    Oh yeah.....

I haven't played any Cardiacs in a few months.So many new purchases to listen to.Reading Kavus' article on Cardiacs revived my jones.Hearing this tune made my Sunday morning a bit better.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I haven't played any Cardiacs in a few months.
    That's impressive. Even when I'm in full classical mode (sometimes up to 9 months or so) and I completely don't do any prog, Cardiacs is the only "rock" I listen to. The only band that I want to hear, quite FRANKIELY.

"Is This the Life" is such an amazing tune. The funny part is its relatively simple by Tim's standards, and you would think that with 5 or so listens, you get what the tune is about (even just musically). But I didn't start really digging this tune until well after, I don't know, 30 spins? It just clicked and I now hear the melody as a beautiful gem akin to say a melody in a classical piece, even within sonata form. I mean, even this tune is so deep in a melodic sense, that it actually makes it complex in a sort of narrative way. Hard to explain. I'm not even sure i understand what I saying. Cranking this tune and Hill/Tottenham on the tube - YEAHHHH BITCHESS!!!!!!!

"Looking so hard for a cause and it don't care what it is".

Just the melody and sentiment of that line alone could flatten buildings. Always chokes me up.

Man, I miss being in that band more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    "Looking so hard for a cause and it don't care what it is".

Just the melody and sentiment of that line alone could flatten buildings. Always chokes me up.

Man, I miss being in that band more than anything.
    Mine is "And when I'm really here, that's when I'm really here" from "Whole World Window."

Doesn't make much sense to read it, but the way Tim delivers it just knocks me over everytime.

Tim's lyrics always strike a chord, but one of my favourite lines is "accidents of existence will make us all feel duty bound" from Victory Egg. I think lyrically its another one about WWII...

Anyway, shamelessly bumping my own post incase Kavus is still reading. Very interested to know.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Some questions i wouldn't mind knowing the answers to if Kavus is still around (or if anyone else knows). Apologies if they were already asked, but i can't see anyting in this thread.

What happened to:

The pro shot gig from '99 (Camden Falcon?) Rumour has it Tim was unhappy with the performance.
    Big Ship from there.

The 2005 Astoria show (also professionally filmed).

The follow up to Guns (not LSD) that was to include Silvery and Faster Than Snakes. Alledgedly lost due to a computer fuck up.

The second Sea Nymphs album(s). Demo recordings of new songs exist.

and also is it true about the Mr Bungle US support almost happening? I'm guessing the whole thing was judged to be too costly.

Just remembered my favourite opening line from a song evar "Life..........everything" (All Spectacular). So concise

Spun ALMAHATWWW again yesterday. Man what a masterpiece of a record. I stil think Eating in Bed is one of the best of all Cardiacs tunes, among many others

I really am digging The Icing on The World and To Go Off and THings als of late. The former is such a powerful tune with soem GREAT lyrics. The other never ceases to get me moving and running around the house being at large with all this SQUALOR! Rude Bootleg was also listened to, and Sarah's sax knocked me flat this time around. She kills on that album.

So hard to pic favorite lyrical lines but here's one:
    "The early bird catches the worm does the worm think that that's the way we all go?"
    Also, don't know about the Mare's Nest DVD but I 'll let you know when I get it
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Mine is "And when I'm really here, that's when I'm really here" from "Whole World Window."

Doesn't make much sense to read it, but the way Tim delivers it just knocks me over everytime.
    It's funny you mention that, because I was just going to bring up The Whole World Window. I feel like it doesn't get quite enough appreciation, and it has some of my absolute favorite Tim lyrics. "And growing up's an interesting thing to do, isn't it?"

Is This The Life is also great on that front (and the opening with the drums and then the guitar kicking off is perfect). ALMaaHatWWW is a really bleak album when you really look at the lyrics. Maybe that's just because they're the easiest to understand of all the Cardiacs albums.

Hi.
    Just quickly then...

Pro shot gig at The Falcon.
    I was with the band as crew for this gig. Don't remember any filming nor have I heard any talk of it since and Tim and I went through a lot of old footage to see what was salvageable.

The 2005 Astoria concert still all exists unedited. It was a mammoth project that cost us a lot of money, Tim would have mixed the audio and edited the footage but at the point of his accident had done neither.
    It was one of those things he knew had to be done but was putting it off in favour of more fun stuff (the Garage rehearsals for instance) because it was such a behemoth.
    We saw a rough that the film company did of Home Of Fadeless Splendour. The raw material was absolutely fantastic... 8 cameras including a boom flying over us, really magnificent but the cut they did left a lot to be desired (although looked ok by 'normal band' standards!) and Tim realised he'd have to do the whole thing himself. Anyone familiar with Mare's Nest will be aware that Tim's skill as a film editor was almost on a par with his ability as a composer. The set was a great mix of stuff, really exciting and we played well. It was the full band with two percussionists and two backing singers. I had a special haircut for the occasion so, if only to see myself 'quiffed up' in HD, I wish this had been finished.

This follow up album is apocryphal. A few of the tunes exist but there never was a 'lost' album. This is the first I've heard of the computer fuck up although it sounds typical of the the kind of thing that would be said.

The second Sea Nymphs album on the other hand is not demos but all mixed and finished. I imagine this will come out at some point. Don't ask me when, though.

This is the first I've heard about a US tour with Bungle. Given Tim, Bob and I were such fans it would have been a big deal. Tim and Mike Patton were talking about Cardiacs being on Ipecac for a while but nothing came of it. Patton wanted a new album which, at the time in 2005, we didn't have.

Hope that clears a few things up!
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 11-24-2014 at 03:50 AM.

It does! Thanks very much

Pro shot gig at The Falcon.
    I was with the band as crew for this gig. Don't remember any filming nor have I heard any talk of it since and Tim and I went through a lot of old footage to see what was salvageable
    The filmed Falcon gig was the third night of their three night residency. It was the one where Sarah and Bill joined the band for the first encore. Silvery from there. It's clearly pro-shot (but the film is a bit generated).

I'm sure there's loads of stuff like this left on Tims shelf. The 1985 Surbiton film was never released was it? (it's on Youtoob).

The 2005 Astoria concert still all exists unedited. It was a mammoth project that cost us a lot of money, Tim would have mixed the audio and edited the footage but at the point of his accident had done neither.
    This is a real shame. I was present for this gig and it was indeed amazing. It was a long setlist that night too, and lots of early stuff was played. It would still be great to see some of it one day, even if it's just rough footage on YT or maybe sold as a download.... i remember they were interviewing people on the stairs when we were leaving.

This is the first I've heard about a US tour with Bungle. Given Tim, Bob and I were such fans it would have been a big deal. Tim and Mike Patton were talking about Cardiacs being on Ipecac for a while but nothing came of it. Patton wanted a new album which, at the time in 2005, we didn't have.
    I'm sure i read that Bungle wanted the band to support them on the US California tour, but it ended up going to the Dillinger Escape Plan instead Probably just a rumour starting with the Ipecac thing (which i also heard about), but just imagine if that tour had happened . I'd imagine the fanbase crossover between the two bands is huge.

Tim and Patton were mutual fans. I don't know the degree of Patton's Cardiacs love but Tim was bananas about Mr. Bungle and Fantomas.
    Bungle had long since split when they were in communication about Ipecac.

I would have thought they would be perfectly suited to ipecac.

You've probably seen this (check out Mike's shirt).

Another rumour: Phil Mitchell from Eastenders was seen at Cardiacs gigs in the 90's

Absolutely true. I was the prick that saw him! (Obviously others did too) It was at the Forum when Sidi Bou Said supported.
    '93 perhaps?
    He looked very drunk and had an expensive looking camera with him. To this day I have absolutely no idea what he was doing there. Never saw him at any subsequent gigs.

He stumbled into the toilet, I grabbed a mate and said 'You'll never believe who just fucking went in there....Phil Mitchell'
    He gave me a withering look knowing my penchant for thinking people look like other people, so I made him stand near the entrance with me to prove it.
    Over the next five minutes quite a few balding, rotund guys came out (it was a Cardiacs gig after all) each time my friend gave me the same withering look and each time I said 'No wait, it was Phil actual fucking Mitchell'

Finally the cuckolded garage owner staggered out helped by a friend and victory was mine.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 11-24-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Or maybe it was cuckolding. My knowledge of Eastenders is somewhat shaky.

Ah, Phil Mitchell.

Okay, last (and most important) one:
    Jim mends Fridges in his spare time???

Not true but it's a rumour that we all loved.

The truth is stranger.
    Also classified.