Page 99 of 185 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    That is so cool - thanks!

BTW, an a cappella cover version of the entire "Sing to God" album will be coming out sometime next year. That's what it says here, anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/david-minnick...ardiacs-covers
    This might be one of the biggest undertakings in music, along with Henry Brant's transcription and arrangement of Ives "Concord" Sonata for full symphony Orchestra. Both of these take serious gall.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've said it before, but it is worth saying again and it might generally hold true (and I am generalising here, for hsits & giggles) that amongst Cardiacs fans there are two distinct groupings regarding STG, each with sub-groupings with variations

1. Those old guard fans who were fans long before STG, often since the first cassette album in 81, and consider STG to be their least favourite album, if only sonically, as opposed to not liking the lyrics and music. Also often true of this grouping is that they have come to Cardiacs via new wave, punk, post-punk, synth and Neo. I.e. they have been fans of bands like Squeeze, XTC, Devo, Kraftwerk, Stump, Bauhaus, Stranglers, Madness, PIL, Joy Division, Spandau Ballet, Elvis Costello, Kate Bush, Lene Lovich but also late period Genesis, Marillion, Pallas, Twelfth Night etc.

AND

2. Those who "found" Cardiacs post-STG, who generally love it, and who are still struggling to really appreciate the early punkier Cardiacs. Also often true of this grouping is that they have come to Cardiacs via indie pop, post-rock, post-folk, freak-folk, avantgarde and RIO I.e. they have been fans of bands like Henry Cow, Oingo Boingo, Mr Bungle, The Residents, Zappa, Magma, SGM, 5UUs, Bob Drake, Joanna Newsom etc.

I belong to group 1.

That is my learned observation, based on coming up to 30 years of listening to Cardiacs, and close to 30 years reading the reviews of Cardiacs music and views of Cardiacs fans and talking to Cardiacs fans.

And although certain albums work well in both groupings i.e. OLAITS, ALMAAHATWWW, SFS&I, Live, Rude Bootleg, Sea Nymphs.

Group 1 tends to prefer The Seaside and HB&EB
    AND
    Group 2 tends to prefer STG and Mares Nest

Discuss
    I find myself a weird mixture of the two. I found Cardiacs via Henry Cow, etc (and then found XTC, Kate Bush and others as a result!). I tend to be in the pre-On Land and in the Sea camp, with some of my favorite material on The Seaside. That said, I love Sing to God and Guns, but not as much as the mid 80s stuff.

Sorry PG, don't think Cardiacs fans fall into any categories, let alone 2.

^ ^ ^ ^

I'm not so crazy about Sing To God and Mare's Nest is my absolute favorite.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I dont know composition and how this stuff is ultimately achieved... but I dont need anyone to tell me why I get all apeshit excited when I hear it - it just slays me every time now. I have really come to love everything. No preference for me - put anything on and I'm captivated. I HAD to make that avatar in homage because it might be one of the best album covers ever too.

And that my friend is all that matters, and applies for me too and I would hope for most Cardiacs fans.
    Last edited by PeterG; 04-27-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Sorry PG, don't think Cardiacs fans fall into any categories, let alone 2.
    I know, man, I'm just having a bit of fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is there a group 3 who came late and generally love everything, and can appreciate Sea Nymphs along with The Seaside as much as StG?

That's me. I honestly can say I love it all.
    Chalky, to be honest, there is a group 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^

I'm not so crazy about Sing To God and Mare's Nest is my absolute favorite.
    I'm not keen on either of them to be honest. I much prefer Live, Rude Bootleg and the 2 Garage CDs to Mares Nest.

I'm not keen on either of them to be honest. I much prefer Live, Rude Bootleg and the 2 Garage CDs to Mares Nest.
    I really, really do like the Garage CDs as well!

But there's something extra groovy about Mare's Nest (largest ever lineup? we get to SEE Tim hit people? Sarah's tiara and sexy shoulder wiggles while playing?)

Maybe Kavus should've worn a tiara? Might have helped...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Sarah's tiara and sexy shoulder wiggles while playing?)
    Oh yes. I was stood at the edge of the very low stages in pubs on many an occasion at Sea Nymphs gigs back in the day, apparently there were two blokes on stage as well

I really, really do like the Garage CDs as well!

But there's something extra groovy about Mare's Nest (largest ever lineup? we get to SEE Tim hit people? Sarah's tiara and sexy shoulder wiggles while playing?)

I really love the stripped out sort of heavy sound on Garage. The more delicate edge on Mare's is a great counter - so naturally I listen to both way too much... errr... ok. that's not possible with Cardiacs is it? Yeah. Its never enough!

Can't hurt.

Rude Bootleg is so damn good. Lively... love the recording too. Its just fits.

Best fuckin band ever. End of thread.

End of thread.
    Unlikely.

I don't know which group I'm in. I just know it's not Group 4.

I've said it before, but it is worth saying again and it might generally hold true (and I am generalising here, for hsits & giggles) that amongst Cardiacs fans there are two distinct groupings regarding STG, each with sub-groupings with variations

1. Those old guard fans who were fans long before STG, often since the first cassette album in 81, and consider STG to be their least favourite album, if only sonically, as opposed to not liking the lyrics and music. Also often true of this grouping is that they have come to Cardiacs via new wave, punk, post-punk, synth and Neo. I.e. they have been fans of bands like Squeeze, XTC, Devo, Kraftwerk, Stump, Bauhaus, Stranglers, Madness, PIL, Joy Division, Spandau Ballet, Elvis Costello, Kate Bush, Lene Lovich but also late period Genesis, Marillion, Pallas, Twelfth Night etc.

AND

2. Those who "found" Cardiacs post-STG, who generally love it, and who are still struggling to really appreciate the early punkier Cardiacs. Also often true of this grouping is that they have come to Cardiacs via indie pop, post-rock, post-folk, freak-folk, avantgarde and RIO I.e. they have been fans of bands like Henry Cow, Oingo Boingo, Mr Bungle, The Residents, Zappa, Magma, SGM, 5UUs, Bob Drake, Joanna Newsom etc.

I belong to group 1.

That is my learned observation, based on coming up to 30 years of listening to Cardiacs, and close to 30 years reading the reviews of Cardiacs music and views of Cardiacs fans and talking to Cardiacs fans.

And although certain albums work well in both groupings i.e. OLAITS, ALMAAHATWWW, SFS&I, Live, Rude Bootleg, Sea Nymphs.

Group 1 tends to prefer The Seaside and HB&EB
    AND
    Group 2 tends to prefer STG and Mares Nest

Discuss
    I like everything they did. Sing to God is my favorite, closely followed by On land and A little man.
    Cardiacs found me in 1988. I do not recognize myself in one of those 2 groups.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I do not recognize myself in one of those 2 groups.
    Same here. Just having a bit of fun mate. I belong to Cardiacs' fan group Number 17, Romeo Delta 59, System 605, Unit 91.

And there will be a massive thumbs up, metal horns and stuff for the first person to identify that musical reference.

Frankie's Magic Cardiacs Mix Worthy of Laudation:

Gibber and Twitch (Garage)
    Manhoo (Sing)
    Hope Day (Garage)
    In the Corner of Sin (Sea Nymphs; so beautiful and classical in stature)
    Dirty Boy (Sing)
    The Stench of Honey (On Land)
    As Cold as can be...... (Garage)
    Gina Lollabridgida (Garage)
    Lilly White's Party (Sea Nymphs)
    Odd Even (Sing)
    Wireless (I broke up the trilogy on "Sing", but they also work scattered about)
    The Duck and Roger the Horse (On Land))
    All Spectacular (Songs)
    R.E.S. (Seaside version, but they are all fantastic)
    The Everso Closely Guarded Line (On Land)
    Awesome mix. Every Cardiacs mix must end with TECGL. It's the law.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

And Jim should’ve worn spandex, mascara and a wig. Cardiacs could’ve been RIO’s Stryper.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Awesome mix. Every Cardiacs mix must end with TECGL. It's the law.
    Ha - this mix is STILL in my car (in the CD changer) as has been for the better part of three years now. I made a ton of other ones, but I always appreciate this one as I think it was the first I made. And yes, "Everso" is a tough act to follow so last is a good place for it.

Same here. Just having a bit of fun mate. I belong to Cardiacs' fan group Number 17, Romeo Delta 59, System 605, Unit 91.

And there will be a massive thumbs up, metal horns and stuff for the first person to identify that musical reference.
    WHO would ever be able to guess that?

Will 2016 be the year that sees The Sea Nymphs 2.0? Almost every day I hope to get a weird encrypted message from the ABC concerning this and other pertinent matters.

For my money, some tracks on Sea Nymphs 1.0 are as good as anything Tim ever wrote.

Played On Land yesterday for the first time in ages and enjoyed it immensely. So much greatness there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will 2016 be the year that sees The Sea Nymphs 2.0? Almost every day I hope to get a weird encrypted message from the ABC concerning this and other pertinent matters.

For my money, some tracks on Sea Nymphs 1.0 are as good as anything Tim ever wrote.
    Lillywhites Party is my soundtrack to daily life.

The sea nymphs is in my top-3 Timmy recordings

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The sea nymphs is in my top-3 Timmy recordings
    Same here. Stunning album.