Page 82 of 185 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Never say never.
    While Tim's improvement is gradual, for instance I really don't think he'll ever sing again, it is an improvement.
    We all look forward to a time when his health is at a point that he could perhaps orchestrate the completion of this album.
    It's the thought of completing the many half-started projects (of which there are loads, believe me!) that is spurring him on to get better.
    The first of which would probably be finishing the editing of the rehearsal footage which was about 80% done at the time of his collapse.
    The excitement is real!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I'm not yet two months since my awakening. I've not quite yet managed to adequately sum up in words what discovering Cardiacs has done to my spirit and brain but I thought it important to sign up and jump on board the thread to remind myself that the sheer weight of enjoyment is shared by others. I chuckle to myself with the amount of comments that perfectly echo my own experience.

Cardiacs--where to start?

I realized recently that I'm more excited for the reissue of Seaside than I am the new Tull remix.

This is kind of a big deal since Tull have been my favorite band since I was a kid.

But, man. Cardiacs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I'm not yet two months since my awakening. I've not quite yet managed to adequately sum up in words what discovering Cardiacs has done to my spirit and brain but I thought it important to sign up and jump on board the thread to remind myself that the sheer weight of enjoyment is shared by others. I chuckle to myself with the amount of comments that perfectly echo my own experience.
    Did same a few minutes before you. Isn't it wonderful to find a band like this? Their stuff is like records you listen to in your dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Glad I have some company.
    My least favourite too. Or perhaps that's Heaven Born. They both are great - of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    It's the thought of completing the many half-started projects (of which there are loads, believe me!) that is spurring him on to get better.
    Ain't that great!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurfrayn View Post
    Did same a few minutes before you. Isn't it wonderful to find a band like this? Their stuff is like records you listen to in your dreams...
    It brings to a close a good 15 years since I genuinely 'felt' music. Becoming musically literate and what have you, you notice all the cheat codes people are using and, at least for me, I've struggled to appreciate music - particularly guitar music - without an alarm in my head ringing out "don't be fooled, this was a piece of piss to make up!" I've taken my search to aleatory and back and whilst I can appreciate things, there's never been that fucking glow until I tripped over R.E.S. on FB the other week. It's a daily routine now.

Been listening to Guns lately. Does anyone have any idea what Come Back Clammy Lammy is about? Killer track, but the lyrics leave me a bit mystified (and that's an understatement). There's some bizarre imagery going on there...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Been listening to Guns lately. Does anyone have any idea what Come Back Clammy Lammy is about? Killer track, but the lyrics leave me a bit mystified (and that's an understatement). There's some bizarre imagery going on there...
    No, but it has prompted me to nickname my dog Sam (not Sparky, mind you), 'Sammy Lammy' and encourage him to Come Back when he's strayed a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    No, but it has prompted me to nickname my dog Sam (not Sparky, mind you), 'Sammy Lammy' and encourage him to Come Back when he's strayed a bit too far.
    Well now if I ever have a dog I'll want to name him Barky.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This is exactly the great appeal of Tims lyrics for me. In 90% of the cases I do not have the faintest idea what they are really about but they are just full of those wonderful lines that plant images in your head that stay with you forever :-)

Welcome to the club. And in your words I recognize my own Cardiacs awakening back in the 80s. Nothing ever again sounded the same, no other band has matched them. Nothing since has captured my undying devotion. This may sound like hyperbole, but it isn't.

Horse has inspired me to retell my Cardiacs awakening story.

It was the late 80s, in a cottage in Old Coulsdon in Surrey (Cardiacs County), when my friend Ed, who I was singing with then in one of his bands and he then played occasional guitar and occasional piano later in one of my bands with me singing, and who had previously been in a band with Bic (yes, that Bic) played me Nurses Whispering Verses, and then the rest of a knackered old copy of Toy World, then he made me a copy of Toy World and OLAITS. But before Nurses had even finished I was already hooked for life. Then at one of my earliest Cardiacs gigs Ed introduced me to Bic and we all had a drink together.
    Last edited by PeterG; 11-19-2015 at 08:53 AM.

It pains me the amount of near-misses I must've had and it's taken till my 32nd year to find them. Dark Star were my favourite band when I was a kid, for instance.

What pains me most is that as a teenager and later as a young soldier I never went to gigs, I simply had no interest in doing so back then in the 70s & early 80s. So sadly I missed loads of great 70s and 80s gigs. My first EVER gig was Live Aid at Wembley in 1985, when I was 23. BUT I've made up for it since then and seen hundreds of bands at hundreds of gigs and festivals.

Hi Horse, you might like my in-depth Cardiacs thread here: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...iacs+anomalies

Can't remember if this was posted before - A fan writes a short review of every Cardiacs song in chronological order...

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Can't remember if this was posted before - A fan writes a short review of every Cardiacs song in chronological order...
    Every??? That is really stretching the definition of the word He seems to have done about 30 odd.

------------------------
    This is a doc I compiled a while ago, it is in alphabetical order and includes all tracks from the Cardiac Arrest demo in 78 all the way up to 91, the last release included is Songs For Ships And Irons. BE WARNED - my list includes rarities and outtakes available on bootlegs but never officially released, also some tracks were once called one thing but are now called something else, so there are a few with alternate names:

Part I- up to 1991

A Balloon For Berties Party
    A Bus For A Bus On The Bus
    A Cake For Berties Party
    A Game For Berties Party
    A Little Man And A House
    A Time For Rejoicing
    A Treat From Mr Smith
    A Wooden Fish On Wheels
    All His Geese Are Swans
    All Spectacular
    All The String
    Ants
    Arnald
    As Cold As Can Be In An English Sea
    Aukamacic
    Baby Heart Dirt
    Big Noise In A Toy World
    Big Ship
    Bite 3/a (alt. Vic Bite 3a.)
    Bits & Bobs (rarity – alt. Piffol Two Times or Piffol Six Times)
    Bitter Pill (rarity)
    Blind In Safety And Leafy In Love
    Buds And Spawn
    Burn Your House Brown
    Cameras
    Camouflage
    Dead Mouse
    Dergo
    Dinner Time
    Dinnertime Is At Home (Not Here)
    Dive
    Everything Is Easy
    Fast Robert
    Food On The Wall
    Gina Lollabridgida
    Gloomy News
    Goosegash
    Hellow Mr Minnow (rarity – alt. The Music Goes Round And Round)
    Hello Mr Sparrow
    Hope Day
    Hopeless
    Horsehead (Horse Head)
    Hymn (rarity)
    I Bit The Vicar
    Ice A Spot And A Dot On The Dog
    Icky Qualms
    I Hold My Love In My Arms
    I'm Eating In Bed
    In A City Lining
    In A Waiting Room
    Interlude
    Is This The Life?
    It's Lovely Day
    Jibber And Twitch
    Leaf Scrapings
    Let Alone My Plastic Doll
    Little Creations
    Loosefish Scapegrace
    Mare’s Nest
    Minnow Bandage (rarity)
    Nurses Whispering Verses
    Over (outtake)
    Over and Over and Over and Over
    Perfect (Perfic)
    Picture of misery (rarity
    Piffol Five Times (rarity)
    Piffol Four Times
    Piffol One Time
    Piffol Three Times
    Pilf
    Pip As Uncle Dick But Peter Spoilt It
    Plane Plane Against The Grain
    R.E.S.
    Rock Around The Clock
    Scratching Crawling Scrawling
    Stoneage Dinosaurs
    Summer Is A Coming In
    Susannahs Still Alive
    T.V.T.V
    Tarred And Feathered
    That's All
    The Breakfast Line
    The Collar
    The Duck And Roger The Horse
    The Everso Closely Guarded Line
    The Icing On The World
    The Leader Of The Starry Skys
    The New General (rarity)
    The Obvious Identity
    The Safety Bowl
    The Stench Of Honey
    The Whole World Window
    There's Too Many Irons In The Fire
    To Go Off And Things
    To My Piano From Mr Drake
    Too Many Colours
    Trademark (alt. Trade Mark)
    Two Bites Of Cherry
    Victory Egg (alt. Victory)
    Visiting Hours
    When I See That Certain Look in Your Eye (rarity)
    Your Removal Of Me

Every??? That is really stretching the definition of the word He seems to have done about 30 odd
    Well, ok, it's a work in progress. He was doing one a day, but seems to have slowed down some.
    Perfect (Perfic)
    Don't think i've ever heard this, unless it's an early version of another tune

A Picture Of Misery is a great 'lost' song. Written by Mark Cawthra i do believe and not on YT sadly. Still after a good quality version of The New General also...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Hi Horse, you might like my in-depth Cardiacs thread here: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...iacs+anomalies
    I made my way through all that a few weeks ago on a train. Your work is much appreciated.

I made my way through all that a few weeks ago on a train. Your work is much appreciated.
    Thank you. You are very welcome.

what darren says:

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    what darren says:

I admit, I've watched some of this guy's videos and I sometimes find them entertaining, but I'm amazed at how much traction he seems to have here and other places. I'm really new to Cardiacs and I'm only familiar with this album but there is nothing "same-y" about it at all. In fact, I don't know yet what I think of it. I tend to agree with his views on a lot of modern "prog" but I don't take much of what he says very seriously either. I find his somewhat xenophobic take on popular music a little disturbing. (He tends to diss just about anything that doesn't originate from the UK) I do enjoy his unboxing videos though....
    Last edited by Rael; 11-26-2015 at 07:35 AM.

It's of a time. It's of a time, yeah.

Yeah. ~2188.

Yeah *cough* bloody hell. Yeah...

I only made it a few minutes in. Not exactly engaging is he? The accusations of it all sounding the bloody same seem strange to us, but it's the same critique i get from most of my friends before they return to their Pantera and Offspring records. You have to give it a chance and most people aren't prepared to do that.

Some of the old NME/MM reviews that used to be archived on Cardiacs.com were pretty funny in their point missing and sheer hostility. Not liking something is fine, but you got the sense that they only listened to the first 12 seconds of eack track. The best/worst one was by some twat called 'Johnny Cigarettes', who gave Sing To God 0/10