Page 81 of 185 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

The thing is, I know how good LSD would have been. The few intense weeks me and Tim had working on it were wonderful. It would have been a very different album again.

Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Guns is holding strong as my favorite right now and it was my first real game changer to falling in love with this band... but damn ALMAAHTWWW is coming on so strong. I can hear the maturity in Guns and the slightly evolved approach... or maybe I'm just crazy. Doesnt Guns have something a bit different going on?
    Yeah - totally. It's got it's own identity and sound that sets it apart from the rest of the catalog. Of course, the same could be said for all of the Cardiacs records.

Kavus' post makes me think that Cardiacs are one of rock's great 'what ifs'. For all the brilliance we got, I think Tim was on his way toward inventing his own unique genre with the latter period works and it it's a crying shame we may never know where he was headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Yeah - totally. It's got it's own identity and sound that sets it apart from the rest of the catalog. Of course, the same could be said for all of the Cardiacs records.

Kavus' post makes me think that Cardiacs are one of rock's great 'what ifs'. For all the brilliance we got, I think Tim was on his way toward inventing his own unique genre with the latter period works and it it's a crying shame we may never know where he was headed.
    I think Cardiacs always was an own unique genre, pretty much right from the beginning in 1977. The obvious identity did not sound like anything else at the moment.

It is frustrating to hear that there is something brilliant lying on the shelves that we might never get to hear. Most likely not even half as frustrating as it must be for Kavus, who put his heart and soul into it.

Never say never.
    While Tim's improvement is gradual, for instance I really don't think he'll ever sing again, it is an improvement.
    We all look forward to a time when his health is at a point that he could perhaps orchestrate the completion of this album.
    It's the thought of completing the many half-started projects (of which there are loads, believe me!) that is spurring him on to get better.
    The first of which would probably be finishing the editing of the rehearsal footage which was about 80% done at the time of his collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I think Cardiacs always was an own unique genre, pretty much right from the beginning in 1977. The obvious identity did not sound like anything else at the moment.

It is frustrating to hear that there is something brilliant lying on the shelves that we might never get to hear. Most likely not even half as frustrating as it must be for Kavus, who put his heart and soul into it.
    Oh I'm not saying they had no identity, don't get me wrong. The early stuff, you could hear the punk, you could hear the prog, you could hear the new wave, the gentle giant and Zappa influences, but Tim's melodies have always been his own. Not to mention Drakes contributions which, judging by the Sea Nymphs album, were enormous. I'm merely saying the later works were even more idiosyncratic. Dig me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    The thing is, I know how good LSD would have been. The few intense weeks me and Tim had working on it were wonderful. It would have been a very different album again.
    Now that's hard. Talk about a bitter pill....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Never say never.
    While Tim's improvement is gradual, for instance I really don't think he'll ever sing again, it is an improvement.
    We all look forward to a time when his health is at a point that he could perhaps orchestrate the completion of this album.
    It's the thought of completing the many half-started projects (of which there are loads, believe me!) that is spurring him on to get better.
    The first of which would probably be finishing the editing of the rehearsal footage which was about 80% done at the time of his collapse.
    Now I feel better.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Yeah, all that stuff hanging in the balance: LSD, Garage rehearsals, Astoria dvd, Sea Nymphs second album... was there anything else?

LSD is obviously sans vocals, but was the music fully recorded? It was due Oct/Nov 08 which always struck me as a bit optimistic.

The rate we were working, it was a real possibility.

That would be an awesome thing to hear that material.

chalkpie
    Guns is holding strong as my favorite right now and it was my first real game changer to falling in love with this band... but damn ALMAAHTWWW is coming on so strong. I can hear the maturity in Guns and the slightly evolved approach... or maybe I'm just crazy. Doesnt Guns have something a bit different going on?
    Oh yeah - a real evolution on Guns - maybe a revolution?

Tunes like "Rain and Wind is Cold", "Jitterbug" etc were pointing in a such a different and unique direction. In my mind I can "see" how different LSD was going to be once again. Musical geniuses like Tim have minds that can create and invent without any limitations or boundaries, and also without any need to rehash old ideas.

You can hear ideas that are on Guns on STG, but they are taken to the next step. How can you not love that?

And on an everyday listening level, I forget, until I hear it again, how much I love Loosefish Scapegrace, to bits...

I don't know whether it'd have been on LSD or not, but that semi rockabilly guitar bridge bit in the middle of Gen is just so perfect!

What I loved most about the Ditzy Scene single was the overall "lively" sound of it, BIG drums sounding really big, probably recorded in a big noisy room, live... Always thought the new stuff was going to be something well thought-out by all band members, working together bouncing ideas.... Surely the sound and the production would have been something like nothing they did before... Am I too wrong??

Watched the Mare's Nest vid again last night, and was just exhausted and blissed out by the end.

Hey, can anyone tell me what the title of "R.E.S." means? Friggin' genius, that song is....

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Watched the Mare's Nest vid again last night, and was just exhausted and blissed out by the end.

Hey, can anyone tell me what the title of "R.E.S." means? Friggin' genius, that song is....
    Short for The Residents?

chalkpie
    Short for The Residents?
    That's what I heard.......

Sound familiar?

chalkpie
    ^ How did I never put that together??!!

Wow! Cheers.

Ah -ha! Thanks!

"And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Two items that are sorely missing from my collection are the two (of the originally planned four) Sing To God singles "Manhoo" and "Odd Even". Both are pretty pricey now. Occasionally I get the itch to go on Discogs and grab them, but I think better of it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

chalkpie
    Does "Savour" have the most beautiful chord changes of any song ever? If not, then what does?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ How did I never put that together??!!

Wow! Cheers.
    I started a thread quite a while ago on bits and bobs that Cardiacs borrowed.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post

Sound familiar?
    !!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Does "Savour" have the most beautiful chord changes of any song ever? If not, then what does?
    There are a lot of elegant little melodies on that album. It was a real treat. I read TS saying it was a quick knock off to make money, but it's a pretty strong disc to my ear.