Page 71 of 185 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

chalkpie
    PS - another new fav is "Dinner Time". The live version with Sir Kavus is my go-to but the old studio version is really great too - it has a very unique vibe happening and great sounds.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    By the way, I'm a mediocre, totally beginner guitarist and I'm just learning chords, so not quite doable for me yet!
    OK - that middle part might be a bit tricky then

Just play it on flute

Going back through StG again after a break, and Dirty Boy has really grown on me. Who knows, maybe one day I'll even start liking Eat It Up Worms Hero.

Made the mistake of reading the lyrics to Insect Hoofs on Lassie while listening to the song, and that was kind of freaky.

Cardiacs on a good stereo is a life affirming endeavor.

Frankie, I agree with Hello Mr. Sparrow, that tune is just incredible one of my favorite tunes ever. BOTH the GC and Seaside versions.
    Man, No Bright Side is slaying me right now.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Going back through StG again after a break, and Dirty Boy has really grown on me. Who knows, maybe one day I'll even start liking Eat It Up Worms Hero.

Made the mistake of reading the lyrics to Insect Hoofs on Lassie while listening to the song, and that was kind of freaky.
    Hmm, don't think I've ever done that.

Wait until you read the lyrics to Dirty Boy.

chalkpie

Could've tuned his bass up a little better, and aside from a wee-bit rushing in a few spots, he pretty much kills this thing on a masterful level

chalkpie
    ^ PS - see the ZPZ thread for his "Keep it Greasy", which is equally as good.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Could've tuned his bass up a little better, and aside from a wee-bit rushing in a few spots, he pretty much kills this thing on a masterful level
    He rushes a bit, but then the tune’s damn near impossible. Amazed anyone could pull this off, actually. Great find!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Suppose : I want to make a CD with the more accessible and less eclectic Cardiacs songs. Which songs would you include?

I am trying to win a friend over who like alternative rock music but is not into prog. (and its also nice to play a Cardiacs CD in the car without the wife screaming she wants to jump out)

So far I have:
    Gina Lollabrigida
    Is this the life
    Stoneage dinosaurs
    Blind in safety, leafy in love
    Arnald
    March
    Helen and heaven
    Day is gone
    Dog like Sparky (hmmm maybe not)
    Manhoo
    Odd even
    Foundling
    Wind and rains is cold

Your suggestions?

All His Geese are Swans
    Shape the River

I think you mentioned most of the ones i could think of. Dead Mouse from Garage Concerts is about as straight ahead as you can get. Maybe Flap Off You Beak at a push, though the theramin might be too much for most people.... Spell With A Shell has a nice new wavey feel to it. Don't You Ail by Spratleys Japs is a pop classic in my world, if they think that's too weird, get new friends/wife.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    I think you mentioned most of the ones i could think of. Dead Mouse from Garage Concerts is about as straight ahead as you can get. Maybe Flap Off You Beak at a push, though the theramin might be too much for most people.... Spell With A Shell has a nice new wavey feel to it. Don't You Ail by Spratleys Japs is a pop classic in my world, if they think that's too weird, get new friends/wife.
    Dead mouse is good suggestion. I contemplated Flap of Your beak but I thought it might just a tad too weird for brainwashed pop listeners.
    Don't you ail is indeed a pop classic- but no Cardiacs.

Funny, you all talk about 'easing' someone into Cardiacs, but if I'd have heard "Duck and Roger the Horse" first, I'd probably have flipped my lid and bought everything they ever released. But then, that's just me ...

Dead Mouse may be the only Cardiacs tune I don't really dig. It's catchy for sure, but eh... Def great for the accessible songs list.

The tune Mare's Nest has been slaying me these past 2 days. So amazing. And The Odd Even Single, wow Hurricane and Devils are so different from anything else they have done. Strange and awesome.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Funny, you all talk about 'easing' someone into Cardiacs, but if I'd have heard "Duck and Roger the Horse" first, I'd probably have flipped my lid and bought everything they ever released. But then, that's just me ...
    True story, that was the first Cardiacs song I ever heard, because I thought the name was funny. It was one of those "I have no idea what this is, but I need to know more" moments for me.

Just happened to come across this very recent upload of the band live in 84. Considering it's an old VHS transfer, the quality is pretty good.

It's got A Little Man, Cameras, and Is This the Life, and the fourth track is The New General, a snippet of which shows up at the end of The Seaside version of RES. I wish they'd made studio recordings of some of these live-only tracks, they're all pretty neat.

^ ^ ^

For as early as this is, I haven't seen better.

thanks for posting.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

You could stick in Come Back Clammy Lammy and Signs from Guns - i think both are fairly accessible entry points sans weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Suppose : I want to make a CD with the more accessible and less eclectic Cardiacs songs. Which songs would you include?

I am trying to win a friend over who like alternative rock music but is not into prog. (and its also nice to play a Cardiacs CD in the car without the wife screaming she wants to jump out)

So far I have:
    Gina Lollabrigida
    Is this the life
    Stoneage dinosaurs
    Blind in safety, leafy in love
    Arnald
    March
    Helen and heaven
    Day is gone
    Dog like Sparky (hmmm maybe not)
    Manhoo
    Odd even
    Foundling
    Wind and rains is cold

Your suggestions?

A little off-topic here, but here's an interesting article that Kavus should find interesting - http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...red-instrument

The possible demise of the Bassoon!!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    A little off-topic here, but here's an interesting article that Kavus should find interesting - http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...red-instrument

Noooo, I adore the bassoon.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the oboe/English horn isn't far behind. The whole double-reed "culture" is a fascinating one - I knew a professional oboist who explained to me the amount of time that goes into making reeds that were sufficient for her - it was unbelievable. She said there was a super-high stress factor in getting the perfect reed. My school district where I teach doesn't offer double reeds until middle school, and its kids who usually make the switch from clarinet or sax. Squalor is at large in tidy bassoon suburbia.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I would add a few Sea Nymphs/OceanLand/Spratley's tunes to balance the proceedings and allow the newbie to catch their breath. Maybe add:

Savour
    Lilly White's Party
    In the Corner of Sin
    Tree Tops High
    England's
    Bug From Heaven
    Veronica in Ecstasy
    Exploded
    Cabinet (this is nice dreamy ride for 10+ minutes)
    Eden on the air
    Your removal of me

It sounds like the issue is that whilst many people can pick it up and learn it at school/college (if they've got one), as soon as they graduate, they've got to actually buy one, which is proving prohibitive cost wise for many and they soon drop it for something cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post

They heard about the sacking of Michel Berckmans from Univers Zero and realized, "Well, what's the point?"....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They heard about the sacking of Michel Berckmans from Univers Zero and realized, "Well, what's the point?"....
    I must admit to similar feelings.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.