Page 65 of 185 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I think the word 'homage' has a kinder ring to it. Tim never made a secret of his love for XTC.

Still a bloody thief mind...

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post

Still a bloody thief mind...
    He didn't steal it! He merely stole it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The phrase "On land and in the sea" was borrowed from XTC, no?

Just so you guys know, the two biggest musical discoveries for me in recent months (make that last two years for Cardiacs) has been the genius of Tim Smith and the genius of Andy Partridge. Those little homages don't make me love it any less - perhaps makes me love it even more (see the Wireless / Faust debacle)

Oddly, "Wireless" made me like "Läuft..." even more.

Revisiting A Little Man... today, and several tracks are hitting me much harder this time around -- especially Dive and R.E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Just so you guys know, the two biggest musical discoveries for me in recent months (make that last two years for Cardiacs) has been the genius of Tim Smith and the genius of Andy Partridge. Those little homages don't make me love it any less - perhaps makes me love it even more (see the Wireless / Faust debacle)
    I hear ya.

XTC has become especially dear to my heart since first hearing them over a decade ago when I got Oranges & Lemons, in what is now Central Square Records in Seaside, FL. (I think it was the manager or owner who recommended it to me, and I think the store had a different name back then.) Never looked back after that. Andy Partridge is a genius, although I tend to prefer the period from Mummer onward.

It's not hard to hear some similarities to XTC in Cardiacs' music; it makes sense if Tim was influenced by them to some extent. They're both brilliant.

Many of you know how much I adore XTC, and I LOVE Big Express. its a criminally under rated album, real industrial sound and some of the best XTC tunes can be found here. SMALLTOWN!!!!!!!!!

I did Nonsuch again today, and I was once again blown to smithereens by The Dissapointed. There's an amazing rhythm guitar part at around 1:20 (and again in the next verse) with a PERFECT scoop in there that is pure magic, ihad to hear it like 7 times in a row. i never reall y noticed it because its a big farther back and I usually sing my ass off during that song, so i was rocked to the core. And lets not forget the TONES.

I love when something I love so much continues to wow me again and again after repeated listens. I find that really only XTC, Cardiacs, Zappa, and Gustav Mahler do that for me. Pure magic folks. Speaks right to my whole being
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    Many of you know how much I adore XTC, and I LOVE Big Express. its a criminally under rated album, real industrial sound and some of the best XTC tunes can be found here. SMALLTOWN!!!!!!!!!
    I'm glad to see someone speak up in defense of this album! Sure the production is really 80s, but the tunes are great, and I feel like it was one of the last times XTC really let themselves have plain-old goofy fun. Some people hate Shake Your Donkey Up, I think it's hilarious.

Anyway, on topic, I'm definitely not surprised Tim had an admiration for XTC. I always felt like early Cardiacs sounded kind of like a much weirder version of early XTC, and the influence definitely persisted (am I the only one who could imagine 70s Andy singing Bodysbad?).

I did Nonsuch again today, and I was once again blown to smithereens by The Dissapointed. There's an amazing rhythm guitar part at around 1:20 (and again in the next verse) with a PERFECT scoop in there that is pure magic, ihad to hear it like 7 times in a row. i never reall y noticed it because its a big farther back and I usually sing my ass off during that song, so i was rocked to the core. And lets not forget the TONES.
    Big Express really is a criminally underrated record, IMO. And honestly, the production has never bothered me. It still sounds like XTC, but perhaps more brash and energized in contrast to the more lush albums that came before it.

The Disappointed is probably my favorite track from Nonsuch. It has been quite a while since I listened to anything from that album; I need to revisit it. Perhaps it's time to pick up the newly re-released version with 5.1 -- along with Drums And Wires. Helicopter is a great little tune.

In going through Cardiacs' back catalog, I'm finding a lot of that kind of "zaniness" that endeared XTC to me so many years ago. I'm strongly inclined to believe that Tim Smith is some kind of musical genius.

I love when something I love so much continues to wow me again and again after repeated listens. I find that really only XTC, Cardiacs, Zappa, and Gustav Mahler do that for me. Pure magic folks. Speaks right to my whole being
    Yeah, I know what you mean. With me it's Genesis, Yes, Tears For Fears, and (of course) XTC. But I'm learning more about Cardiacs and Zappa now.

chalkpie
    Addicted to "In a City Lining". Can't stop playing it. Mind the gap. Cor blimey, gov, flippin' eck.

chalkpie
    Is it possible that an "XTC" search comes up empty here? Am I spelling it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is it possible that an "XTC" search comes up empty here? Am I spelling it wrong?
    Don't you know it's spelled Ecks Tee See?

DUDE! I started a thread on them awhile back. That's weird that the search isn't working properly.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum....php/12733-XTC

Addicted to "In a City Lining". Can't stop playing it. Mind the gap. Cor blimey, gov, flippin' eck.
    Yeah, I'm addicted to the genius of Cardiacs. Played Sea Nymphs like twice today and loved it all. "Lillywhite's Party" - my gawd. Atmosphere. My favorite is "A Thousand Strokes And A Rolling Suck" - that one sitar sound (it's right out of XTC's "Summer's Cauldron") goose's the bumps everytime. Sitar rules.

Now onto Spratley's Japs, an album I initially underrated and now I'm just loving it. I don't think there's another artist out there who's entire catalog reaches me on the same level. Cardiacs may not be my favorite band (they are in the top 3), but I think they are the best band I know just based on consistency and the strong emotions I associate with their music. And what I mean by Cardiacs is, the combined genius of Tim Smith, William D. Drake, Poole, and whoever else contributed to these compositions over the years.

/fanboy. But you know what? Cardiacs are one of the few bands who actually deserve to be fanboyed over.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 07-01-2015 at 11:28 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm searching for Ecstasy but that's just me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm searching for Ecstasy but that's just me.
    Never tried it, but I'll try anything 4 times, possibly more if I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Big Express really is a criminally underrated record, IMO. And honestly, the production has never bothered me. It still sounds like XTC, but perhaps more brash and energized in contrast to the more lush albums that came before it.
    YES i love the sound. And yea Donkey is a fun tune! Love the violin in there too.

Did Loosefish in the car today, I could here that about 30 times in a row and be wowed each time. Pure magic
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Never tried it, but I'll try anything 4 times, possibly more if I like it.
    I wasn't referring to the drug, just the emotion
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Veronica in XTC

For anyone interested (or if there's something here you haven't heard), I did a happy birthday show for Tim last night:

http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/22769.html

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    For anyone interested (or if there's something here you haven't heard), I did a happy birthday show for Tim last night:

http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/22769.html
    That's an awesome selection .... nice one.

Killer playlist! We're doing a Tim tribute tonight on my show (which is being hosted by Lieto).

YES i love the sound. And yea Donkey is a fun tune! Love the violin in there too.

Did Loosefish in the car today, I could here that about 30 times in a row and be wowed each time. Pure magic
    Loosefish Scapegrace is terrific. Been listening to that one a lot over the last few days.

Digging into Sing To God now... Here goes!

Take a deep breath!

It's Tim's birthday!!!

Happy birthday, Timmy!