Page 59 of 185 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Some cool background info on the new Drake video:

https://thechaosengineers.wordpress....stant-buzzing/

Also, what has happened to the Mares Nest forum? I visited it yesterday evening and there was only ONE person logged on.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Also, what has happened to the Mares Nest forum? I visited it yesterday evening and there was only ONE person logged on.
    Facebook?

Yeah, combination of : nothing new to talk about, some of the more active posters leaving for pastures new, and our friend Facebook.

Yep, that forum has been dead for a long while unfortunately. I'd say this is probably the most committed band related thread there is right now

The Facebook page is one of the best pages around. The users are super friendly and passionate.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The Facebook page is one of the best pages around. The users are super friendly and passionate.
    Which one? There are several.

Quote Originally Posted by eadric View Post
    Yeah, combination of : nothing new to talk about, some of the more active posters leaving for pastures new, and our friend Facebook.
    Ah ha, that old demon fakebook....

If anyone's interested ... and you should be ... there's a lovely article on Tim on The Guardian's website for the regular Cult Heroes column. Link below.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...-and-much-love

chalkpie
    ^ Its nice, although the "unlistenable" tag at the beginning is a little strange, no?

That looks very much like a sub-editor has written that strap-line rather than the author in my opinion. If not, its a little misguided - but you can see what he's on about. The ever-difficult process of trying to describe the band to the uninitiated.

That's a good piece indeed. Nice to read all the comments underneath (including one from mrs Tim!)

I think the best Cardiacs feature i've ever read remains this one from The Quietus. No doubt posted before, but nevertheless a cracking article.

Cardiacs "Day Is Gone" CDEP
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...D-spc-015.aspx

Knifeworld "Home Of The Newly Departed"
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...R-spc-017.aspx
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guess it's time for another order.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    WOO!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guess it's time for another order.
    I need to grab that new Drake and maybe a few others (been eyeing that Redbus album).

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I'm also late-to-the-party with all things Cardiacs. I've scanned through this thread and listened to a couple of the linked offerings and I like what I hear. The jury is out though on whether I will be a Cardiacs fan or not. That being said I'd love to try a couple out for size.

First, I'd value some opinions from my fellow PE'ers (and obvious Cardiac FANatics). If you were to recommend TWO albums (my preference would be studio recordings - no live or compilations) for a newbie to begin with, which TWO would they be? One caveat is both of these would need to be available inexpensively because I'm on a tight budget right now.

I do realize that I could mine this thread further to potentially answer my question but....it seems you Cardiacians jump at any opportunity to post a thread about the band!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Personally, I'd start with A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window and then get On Land and in the Sea. Those two hooked me big time and are probably the 'easiest' intro point. And if you like those, get Songs for Ships and Irons which is in a similar vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Brief update on my pending journey into the land of the Cardiacs. No, still haven't made a purchase - I'll do that when funds are available. I typically prefer to have my virgin listening experience of new music to be from the disc, shortly after being removed from the jewel case for the first time! I didn't want to wait longer in this case so I decided to take a listen on youtube at some tracks from A Little Man. Wow! Great stuff indeed. I can certainly hear what all the fuss is about. On my first run through I found myself thinking of Van Der Graaf Generator (on steroids), both musically and vocally, and circuses. The vocals will take some time to get used to, but they are obviously an integral part of the Cardiacs sound.

When opportunity strikes and I pick up my first Cardiac disc(s) I'll let y'all know what I think.

Another update. I'm finally taking the plunge! Yesterday I included A Little Man... in a small order of cds. This will be my first Cardiacs album. I suspect it won't be the last. I'll post again with my thoughts on the disc once I've given it a few spins.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I need to grab that new Drake and maybe a few others (been eyeing that Redbus album).
    Get em Frankie you will love them both. The Drake is incredible and I am really digging the Redbus too but it needs more time to sink in
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Drake is total genius. It's a no brainer. Redbus has got some fantastic stuff on it, too, but Drake really knows how to arrange. Just beautiful.

I've decided to listen to Sing to God every day until I know it as well as I know albums I've listened to for the past 25 years (as far as I can tell, Faith No More's Angel Dust is most likely my most spun album as I've been listening to it since I was 12 or so).

I don't know why I've chosen to do this.

But it seems like I should.

Any advice?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I've decided to listen to Sing to God every day until I know it as well as I know albums I've listened to for the past 25 years (as far as I can tell, Faith No More's Angel Dust is most likely my most spun album as I've been listening to it since I was 12 or so).

Any advice?
    Seems like you're doing alright so far!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Any advice?
    You're a sick puppy. Good man.

Finally heard some samples of a few Cardiacs songs, and I'm not really hearing what I'd consider "punk". I was expecting something like Sex Pistols, but it sounds more like high-energy pop/rock a la Devo or something.

Anyway, that's all I gathered from the few samples I heard, which is admittedly not enough to form a complete opinion on.

That said, I really like what I've heard and will be getting one of their CDs next.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

That said, I really like what I've heard and will be getting one of their CDs next.
    That number (one) will eventually become many - trust me

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That number (one) will eventually become many - trust me
    I actually want to grab a few, but I must limit myself for the time being.

I'm thinking of going with On Land and In the Sea first. That sound seems to appeal to me most, with the sax and keyboards really lending a "fullness" to it.

What is Sea Nymphs like?

And Tim Smith's Extra Special OceanLandWorld?

Sorry, I'm just excited.