Page 54 of 185 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    A Wooden Fish on Wheels from Seaside sounds like XTC crossed with A Passion Play. Who's with me?
    I always thought a lot of Seaside sounds like a more twisted version of early XTC crossed with classic prog, so I'm with you. :P

chalkpie
    A Wooden Fish on Wheels from Seaside sounds like XTC crossed with A Passion Play. Who's with me?
    I'd say more Police than Passion Play for me. Which sections remind you of which sections? Great tune! I like the live version as well, but there is something special about that early recording.

Sarah's sax playing and some of the wacky circusy type stuff seemed a little APP for me. The drum patterns in particular reminded me a bit of early XTC - "Love at First Sight" era.

chalkpie
    Sarah's sax playing and some of the wacky circusy type stuff seemed a little APP for me. The drum patterns in particular reminded me a bit of early XTC - "Love at First Sight" era.

Its a really great piece. I'm fucking around on Dirty Boy (guitar) right now for fun - lots of fun changes - the only thing that is stumping me is the A# descending bass part. When you analyze these changes it becomes even more amazing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Ok, lets do this thing then, we've been dancing around it for ages. Friends, family, spin offs, benefits, associated bands, former members, bands produced, lit and engineered by Cardiacs etc.

The connexion must be real, not imagined, and not simply that a band sounds like or reminds you of Cardiacs
    Ok, I'll play

Knifeworld - The Unravelling
    NSRO - I a Moon
    William D Drake - The Rising Of The Lights
    Stars In Battledress - In Droplet From
    Arch Garrison - I Will Be A Pilgrim
    Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake
    Tim Smith's Extra Special Oceanland World
    Sea Nymphs
    Spratley's Japs
    NSRO - s/t
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    NSRO - I a Moon
    Good call. Beautiful track right here:

That song is 236 chord changes long... I counted them...

Wooden fish is their ska track, to me it sounds like Cardiacs and no one else.

First spin of Sea Nymphs right now.

Question: Do I file this under "S" or under "C" with the rest of my Cardiacs CDs?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

You guys suppose they know "Psalm of Life" is by American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and not English poet William Wordsworth?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    First spin of Sea Nymphs right now.

Question: Do I file this under "S" or under "C" with the rest of my Cardiacs CDs?
    I keep all of my Cardiacs-related stuff together, even Knifeworld, NSRO, Stars in Battledress, etc. "A La Familia!"

Ah. I'm a straight alpha guy. So Ian Anderson is in the "A"s not the "J"s, Fripp is in the "F"s and not the "K"s, etc. I suppose I'll file it in the "S"s. Whatever. It's awesome.

chalkpie
    Under the laser today: "Guns" and "In Droplet Form". Gems, both.

What is the name of the piece on Guns after "Will Bleed Amen" ends? Absolutely lovely tune.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Ah. I'm a straight alpha guy. So Ian Anderson is in the "A"s not the "J"s, Fripp is in the "F"s and not the "K"s, etc. I suppose I'll file it in the "S"s. Whatever. It's awesome.
    That's cool. I do last names for classical but not prog, jazz/other shit. Glad you're digging it man - give it a few spins and let it sink in. There are few of my absolute favorite Tim Smith compositions on there - I think I posted a few of them a page or two back. "Lilly White's Party" is definitely one of them.

Sea Nymphs will likely be my next purchase. Still haven't heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Under the laser today: "Guns" and "In Droplet Form". Gems, both.

What is the name of the piece on Guns after "Will Bleed Amen" ends? Absolutely lovely tune.
    I don't think it has an "official" name, but everyone seems to call it "Secret Like Swans".

What was with that weird 90s / 2000s fad of putting 'hidden' tracks at the end of albums? Seemed like everyone did it in those days.

What was with that weird 90s / 2000s fad of putting 'hidden' tracks at the end of albums? Seemed like everyone did it in those days.
    Sometimes it only went a couple of minutes and the extra track played. But I remember once with one album, after about 20 minutes track 99 kicked in and scared the life out of me because I'd fallen asleep on the sofa 30 minutes earlier. And although i'd owned that CD for quite a while, it was the first time I'd heard the hidden track as I'd never fallen asleep to the album before and left it running.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sometimes it only went a couple of minutes and the extra track played. But I remember once with one album, after about 20 minutes track 99 kicked in and scared the life out of me because I'd fallen asleep on the sofa 30 minutes earlier. And although i'd owned that CD for quite a while, it was the first time I'd heard the hidden track as I'd never fallen asleep to the album before and left it running.
    "Disgustipated" by Tool?

That totally freaked me out, because I had fallen half-asleep and did not realize at first who the fuck was speaking. It sounded like some creep leaving a really disturbing message on the answering machine. Well done, Tool!

On the annoying side was Mastodon with “Pendulous Skin” – a five minute song inflated to a 22+ minute “epic” of nothingness (only at the very end can you hear Josh Homme reading some kind of “fan letter”).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Say, dear fellow Cardiologists – how about we have a separate “Cardiacs album-by-album” thread? Or should we do it here? Or not at all?

It might be interesting to have a closer look at all their albums in chronological order, incl. directly related side-projects such as Mr & Mrs Smith and Sea Nymphs et al (i.e. those which feature Mr. Smith).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Say, dear fellow Cardiologists – how about we have a separate “Cardiacs album-by-album” thread? Or should we do it here? Or not at all?

It might be interesting to have a closer look at all their albums in chronological order, incl. directly related side-projects such as Mr & Mrs Smith and Sea Nymphs et al (i.e. those which feature Mr. Smith).
    Good idea but I think we should stick to the albums available on cd. Toyworld was only released on casette and isnt even on youtube completely. First album should probably be Archive although it was realeased a bit later. I would include the live albums.

Order (open for correction. I probably mess the order up quitea bit).

Archive
    The seaside
    Mr and ms Smith ans mr Drake
    Rude bootleg
    A little man
    Cardiacs live
    Song for ships and irons
    On land
    Mares nest
    The sea nymphs
    Heaven born
    Oceanlandworld
    Sing to god
    Guns
    Spratleys Japs
    Garage concerts

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Good idea but I think we should stick to the albums available on cd. Toyworld was only released on casette and isnt even on youtube completely. First album should probably be Archive although it was realeased a bit later. I would include the live albums.

Order (open for correction. I probably mess the order up quitea bit).

Archive
    The seaside
    Mr and ms Smith ans mr Drake
    Rude bootleg
    A little man
    Cardiacs live
    Song for ships and irons
    On land
    Mares nest
    The sea nymphs
    Heaven born
    Oceanlandworld
    Sing to god
    Guns
    Spratleys Japs
    Garage concerts
    This is a fun idea, I'd love to do something like this. Corrections: I believe Ships and Irons is pre-Little Man stuff, and I think Guns came after Pony. Maybe throw Ditzy Scene at the very end?

To assist in this next stage, here is the complete discography with original release dates and later CD releases, many of you of course will only know the CD release date. I have also listed all 12" & CD EPs that have more than 3 tracks.

The Obvious Identity - June 80 cassette (Cardiac Arrest)- This is the one album I don't have a copy of.

Toy World - 81 cassette

Archive Cardiacs - 89 fan-club only cassette. CD mid-90s (Archive incuded 5
    tracks from Toy World, 3 from Obvious Identity, and 4 Tim & Dom demos that first saw the light of day on Archive - Piffol I,III,IV and T.V.T.V)

The Seaside (1st version) - 84 cassette

Seaside Treats - 84 4 track 12" EP

Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake - 84 cassette.

Rude Bootleg - 86 LP & cassette. CD 95

Big Ship - Jan 87 5 track 12" EP

ALMAAHATWWW - 88 LP & cassette. CD 95

Cardiacs Live - 88 LP,cassette & CD. CD reissued in 95.

Baby Heart Dirt -89 4 track 12" EP

OLAITS - 89 LP,cassette & CD. CD reissued in 95.

The Seaside (2nd version - different cover) - 90 LP,cassette & CD. CD reissued in 95. (4 tracks missing from 1st version, namely: Nurses Whispering Verses, Is This the Life?, A Little Man & A House, Dinner Time. A totally new verison of Nurses appears on STG pt 2.)

Night Tracks (the Janice Long Session) - 87 - 12" 5 track EP.

Songs For Ships & Irons - 90 LP,cassette & CD. CD reissued in 95. (re-relase of Big Ship & Too Many Irons EPs & the 2 B sides from Susannah's Still Alive 12" EP, plus a bonus tune- Everything Is Easy )

Heaven Born and Ever Bright - 91 LP & CD. CD reissued in 95 with a different cover.

Day Is Gone -91 4 track 12" EP and 4 track CD

All That Glitters Is A Maresnest - 95 CD.

Sampler - 95 CD.

The Sea Nymphs - 92 limited edition cassette (which I have 95 CD

Tim Smith's Extra Special Oceanland World - 95 CD. (recorded between 89 and 91)

Sing To God - 95 CD double pack parts 1 & 2, limited to 3000 copies (which I have ). 95 part 1 CD & part 2 CD. 15 Double LP

Appealing To Venus (reissue) 98 CD - 6 track mini album. 2 of which were originally on Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake

Cardiacs meet Camp Blackfoot - 98 CD 7 track split EP. The last of the 4 Cardiacs tracks is an instrumental version of Insect Hooves on Lassie

Spratleys Japs Pony -98 CD

Spratleys Japs Hazel - 99 CD mini album

Guns - 99 CD.

Cardiacs and Affectionate Friends -01 CD

Greatest Hits - 02 CD

Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake - 04 reissue on CD

The Special Garage Concerts London Autumn 2003 - 05 CD Vol. I & Vol. II (and now also as a double digipack)

Leader of the Starry Skies: A Tribute to Tim Smith, Songbook 1 - 10 CD

Leader of the Starry Skies: A Loyal Companion - 10 CD
    Last edited by PeterG; 04-28-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Yeah^, just missed off Ditzy Scene which came out in 2007 i believe.

Listening to the DS ep now (download copy). All three tracks are excellent, although Made All Up took me a while to warm to for some strange reason.

I can't help but wonder how representative these songs were in relation to LSD. Any spare info Kavus? Had Tim managed to write another Dirty Boy/Fiery Gun Hand/Duck and Roger/delete as applicable? From the ep it seems it was following on from the Guns sound, but i can hear something of a shoegaze influence in Ditzy and Made All Up which is new i think.

In other Tim news, 'Oh' from the Spratleys album is one of the greatest lumps of music i've ever heard. Spine tingling. I won't link the YT vid 'cos it really needs blasting on a big stereo to get the full effect . Do it now peeps.

LSD would have been as different from any other Cardiacs album as STG is from, say, On Land.
    That is, it still sounds totally Tim but with a pretty different vibe.

I had a hand in the arrangements so it certainly has a flavour of a lot of my stuff. Much more than the Ditzy Scene single which we did pretty quickly.

We were all VERY excited about it when we were making it.

We're still hoping to finish it if Tim's health improves enough.