Page 51 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

So is there a set record for the longest thread on this site? 50 pages is pretty impressive.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Guns is a very good album. The only thing *wrong* with it is that this is the album after their masterpiece. Ever album falls short of STG.

Jitterbug and Signs are classics.
    Hmmm, I don't think the two can be compared, at least in my eyes. There are tunes I dig a bit more on "God" and vice-versa, but I think Tim's brilliance was in full display when you look at the stylistic musical differences between those albums, and when you add Pony into the mix, you pretty much have another two albums that are nearly as strong as "God" when lumped together. I think if Tim was still writing, the quality would always be there without any turkeys because like any great composer he had endless ideas of brilliant music floating around in his head. Bach never turned to shit in his 65 years, and I don't think Tim would have either.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hmmm, I don't think the two can be compared, at least in my eyes. There are tunes I dig a bit more on "God" and vice-versa, but I think Tim's brilliance was in full display when you look at the stylistic musical differences between those albums, and when you add Pony into the mix, you pretty much have another two albums that are nearly as strong as "God" when lumped together.
    It’s easy to overlook Guns among all the other Cardiacs greatness, but if you spend some time with it, you’ll be amply rewarded.

On the whole, Guns is a bit less spasmodic than previous efforts and some may miss that, but to me it’s a boon. The nervous energy is still evident (listen to Jim kill it on “There’s Good Cud”), it’s just more groove-oriented than before. There are too many highlights to mention, but e.g. “Wind and Rain Is Cold” and “Song of a Dead Pest” are among the most blissful songs they ever did. And “Clammy Lammy”? It just kicks ass, man.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I assume you mean an official ABC release, as it was officially released by the BBC. I have it on vinyl
    Yes, sir. And you know what also be cool? A B-side collection would also be cool.

I know this is being re-released (and I ordered it), but still - one CD with all of those stray gems would be sweet.

Devils
    Sang 'All Away Away!'
    Hurricane
    Gen
    Goosegash
    Spinney
    What Paradise Is For
    Made All Up

(ABC might even deign to throw in Ditzy Scene too…)

chalkpie
    There's always a "new" Cardiacs favorite tune just lurking around the corner - and here is the latest for me:

Fun. So full of life and energy yet takes place in Tim's world.

chalkpie
    Steve - I love this description that you wrote at your site re: the All That Glitters DVD......awesome!

I just wish this thing worked in my BR player. I think I asked this before - what type of player does this work on? Pretty sad that I own the DVD and still have to play the concert via YT.

Cardiacs - All That Glitters Is A Mares Nest DVD

SKU Alph DVD 001
    The greatest concert ever given becomes, naturally, the greatest DVD ever released. Previously released only as a VHS tape, this incredible document has never been on DVD before. It captures the group in their insane prime and the little 'asides' are incredilble.

You have to see them to believe them. Watch Tim punch Jim out flat. See the Alphabet Business Concern's 'rules of the road'. An incredible performance that was luckily enough recorded.

"Although the concert has achieved legendary status amongst Cardiacs fans, it was also an occasion on which everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Among other things, Tim Smith's guitar fell apart and keys fell off Sarah Smith's saxophone." Of COURSE they did, dear boy!
    Just fantastic!

There's always a "new" Cardiacs favorite tune just lurking around the corner - and here is the latest for me:
    Yeah!! Guns!!!

chalkpie
    Do we (you) think that there is a chance that something in the form of a CD and/or DVD will be released at the Alphabet Business Convention on May 2, or would they have alluded to this by now?

I still have my hopes up for a surprise release then!

Speaking of, is Day is Gone now available, or is it still taking pre-orders? Last i checked it was slated for April...
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post

Speaking of, is Day is Gone now available, or is it still taking pre-orders? Last i checked it was slated for April...
    I didn't see it at Steve's but the site has it - I'm sure he'll get it soon.

BTW, another track that has been slaying me for some time now:

I got a mail from ABC yesterday that day is gone is shipped!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I got a mail from ABC yesterday that day is gone is shipped!
    Yay! Also got a mail. Hail majestic corporate light!

Rather excited, since the shipment includes Mr. And Mrs. Smith and Mr. Drake, which I haven't heard yet (though it's on yertube).

No Bright Side is one of my absolute favourites. One of his greatest, I think.

Steve - I love this description that you wrote at your site re: the All That Glitters DVD......awesome!
    It might (might) be my single favorite Cardiacs release.

I just wish this thing worked in my BR player. I think I asked this before - what type of player does this work on? ![/I]
    It's a PAL, all region disc. Surprised your BR won't play it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post

We will be bringing this over at the same time as the new / old KNIFEWORLD release (one shipment beats two), so when both are ready, they'll be here soon after.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It might (might) be my single favorite Cardiacs release.

It's a PAL, all region disc. Surprised your BR won't play it.
    Mine won't either, but it plays in my old DVD player and my computer.

Weird - both of you must have BR players that are NTSC / PAL sensitive, which makes zero sense in terms of technology.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Just a brief aside: If anyone really needs a coup d’envoi to buy Cardiacs stuff - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window is now officially sold out. Who knows how long the other stuff will be available? Better hurry...

Continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    That was hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Just a brief aside: If anyone really needs a coup d’envoi to buy Cardiacs stuff - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window is now officially sold out. Who knows how long the other stuff will be available? Better hurry...

Continue.
    We'll have more at the same time we get the other stuff in.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Do we (you) think that there is a chance that something in the form of a CD and/or DVD will be released at the Alphabet Business Convention on May 2, or would they have alluded to this by now?
    If i recall correctly, at the last convention in 2013 the Mares Nest dvd was available from on the day with no prior announcement, so i'm hopeful that we'll get something this time too. New Sea Nymphs has been rumoured for a while and of course the Garage Rehearsals are touted to come out one day.....

Also coming soon: Bill Drake's new one and NSRO are recording again

Weird - both of you must have BR players that are NTSC / PAL sensitive, which makes zero sense in terms of technology.
    I have a Sony. It doesn't work on my parents' Sony either (much to their relief, I'm sure!)

Is it a sony problem? What make is your Blu Ray, Frankie?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I have a Sony. It doesn't work on my parents' Sony either (much to their relief, I'm sure!)

Is it a sony problem? What make is your Blu Ray, Frankie?
    I'll check when I get home but I think its a Panasonic.

Most consumer products are no longer built to implement a technical solution for the consumer but instead to implement a marketing opportunity for the cartel stakeholders. The following may help:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245