Page 46 of 185 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

FYI - for anyone in the UK, i've just read of a potential Tim Smith Benefit Night at The Prince Albert in Brighton at the end of May. No further details confirmed and don't know if it an 'official' one. I'll post more information once it becomes available.

Also, the same place is doing a benefit for Daevid Allen from Gong early in February.

Loosefish, I could easily be wrong. That's just my impression from seeing the rehearsal videos.

Tim is a proper eccentric, that much i know, but if you were to assume he's like he is in live videos...... well, i wouldn't basically. Do you think he beats Jim up in private?
    Can't really speculate further it feels wrong to lift the veil somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    One thing that comes across to me through the posted videos and stories is that Tim could be extremely demanding, maybe even insufferably so. T/F? He's also extremely loved, and I think more than just for his genius. How do those two things go together so well? What's the rest of it that fills it out?
    Umm....the part where he physically beats his band?

It's a joke. Also the tooth fairy isn't real.

Sorry to ruin it for those who still believe wrestling is real too.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I think a saying Frank was a dick is a bit strong but then again I've never been in his band to know if he was that - or just a serious person with a mission. Players knew going in what his band was about. No surprises about how regimented and serious it would be.
    I was thinking more about him sacking most of the Mothers without a care purely because he decided he'd outgrown them. Afaik he never pushed a band member down the stairs like Beefheart did though. Doesn't stop them both being genius musicians. I love Miles Davis despite the fact he was a complete tosser. Tim is a big fluffy poodle in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Umm....the part where he physically beats his band?

It's a joke. Also the tooth fairy isn't real.

Sorry to ruin it for those who still believe wrestling is real too.
    Ha, and to think i was trying to be diplomatic

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Ha, and to think i was trying to be diplomatic
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

The scene in the opening of Mare's Nest is pretty obviously a fake punch, IMO.

chalkpie
    It's a really small glimpse of Tim in the "real" world, but in the video of his surprise 40th birthday party, you can tell that Tim radiates a genuine love and warmth for the people that were there, and vice versa. You can really see how much his friends and family appreciate him, even in that small amount of time. There is no doubt in my mind he is a beautiful person, and as an added bonus he also just happens to be a true original musical genius. He would be one of the few people I would love to have the honor of meeting someday; probably won't happen, and that is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It's a really small glimpse of Tim in the "real" world, but in the video of his surprise 40th birthday party, you can tell that Tim radiates a genuine love and warmth for the people that were there, and vice versa. You can really see how much his friends and family appreciate him, even in that small amount of time. There is no doubt in my mind he is a beautiful person, and as an added bonus he also just happens to be a true original musical genius. He would be one of the few people I would love to have the honor of meeting someday; probably won't happen, and that is OK.
    Once again, amen my brotha!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Chalkpie put it better than i could. Here's some more brief 'real world' evidence that he wasn't a violent psychopath. He just grins like a maniac (who's that daft sod stood behind him?)

Tim Smith: officially a lovely man.

Hi! Been lurking some time, but The Sea Nymphs– dutifully delivered by the stern, yet creepily avuncular bureaucrats running The Alphabet Concern’s omnipresent online center of commerce with more efficiency than the blessed NSA– have just arrived and on second listen must unbiddenly report:

If you have a thing for Cardiacs’ more mellow musings such as “Eden on the Air,” “The Safety Bowl” or “Blind in Safety and Leafy in Love,” you need to hear this one; Mr. Smith and Mr. Drake joining forces to create something like Bartok on acid meets Eno and Pet Sounds’ era BB in church.
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 01-31-2015 at 03:27 AM.

So Tim's Facebook page just posted this:
    nEifrcel.jpg
    Mysterious happenings appear to be in the works!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    So Tim's Facebook page just posted this:
    nEifrcel.jpg
    Mysterious happenings appear to be in the works!
    Wow! Autobuy or autowhatever!

Too excited! The date is now on my Cardiacs calendar. I wonder what this happening will be. Either way, it will be worthy of laudation.
    -Frank Zappa

Rehearsal DVD!!!!

I reserve the right to scream uncontrollably if it's about the second Sea Nymphs album!

I have a feeling its likely to be The Sea Nymphs, but, i feel most of us on here wouldn't give a shit what it was ... its something new and interesting (maybe visual, maybe musical) and we must all bow down and thank the ABC for their generosity.

On a slight tangent, i was just reading this brilliant quote from Tim from a 2000 interview with a French magazine. They asked about whether Tim did all the solos and he replied, "Jon and myself are responsible for the ‘solos’ if you can call them that. Jon does the ones that sound like a thousand tiny birds pecking and pecking at an eye, while I am responsible for the ones that sound like a worm that can’t be stretched any longer."

what a description ... but it got me thinking what my favourite solo actually was - Day Is Gone?, Fiery Gun Hand?, Is This the Life? R.E.S.? Anything I Can't Eat? I really, really can't decide. Cardiacs are as much about the (anti)riffs for me as about solos - i still love me a good solo though - so, does anyone else have a definitive favourite 'solo'?

Mine is R.E.S. That solo is pure magic
    -Frank Zappa

Definitely Fiery Gun Hand, even if that one was "doctored". R.E.S. is probably my favorite straight solo, although Is This The Life is close.

I think mine is Fiery Gun Hand too - particularly the 'duelling' solos towards the end. Even though the main one was edited down in the studio, its still awesome and possible to play live, so i've never really considered it as not a real solo.

chalkpie
    "Fiery" for me too, although "RES" is close and is Tim's "Inca Roads" solo , if you catch my drift.

Re: May 2 - I pretty much couldn't be more excited for anything musically related in the world. The lads done good, real good.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Egad, that's sorta hideous, even by Cardiacs standards.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com