Page 30 of 185 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Nice man! Definitely not decaf in that cup.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Thanks to my friends and fellow pondies Steve Wilson (not that one - the other one) and Moe Staiano (drummer for the great Sleepytime Gorilla Museum).

Attachment 4184
    Dude - I want that window decal! Where do you obtain such an fantabulous item?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    First impression... it's like highly advanced British Ska - with some slick composed portions woven in. So far - so good! lol. I hear a lot of things - but Moving Gelatine Plates comes to mind on parts.
    Yes, but also about a bazillion other things when you start to dig deeper. Enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dude - I want that window decal! Where do you obtain such an fantabulous item?
    Send Moe a private message on FB. I get the impression he has a quite a few left.

Well, you guys have helped win over another fan. I've been listening to as much as I can online over the past several days. There's so much happening in the music, so much to digest. But I haven't yet heard a song I don't like. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a new musical discovery!

Favorites so far ...

As Cold As Can Be in an English Sea
    R.E.S.
    Is This the Life
    Buds and Spawn
    Gibber and Twitch
    The Duck and Roger the Horse
    Loosefish Scapegrace

Can't stop watching those 2007 rehearsal videos!

Send Moe a private message on FB. I get the impression he has a quite a few left.
    Moe who? I'd give my right arm for one of those window stickers!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Moe who? I'd give my right arm for one of those window stickers!
    Moe Staiano

After repeat listens to those two albums - I'm just not into it. Too much ska sounding stuff over and over... there is some great stuff going on though - its just rubbing me the wrong way. The chanting overly accent heavy singing - I keep thinking of Vivian from The Young Ones. This is just the two albums though... I havent dug into the others. I'll keep trying the rest and see what happens with those.

^ That's always the first step. Then you can't stop listening to them. Then they become your favorite band.

^ That's always the first step. Then you can't stop listening to them. Then they become your favorite band.
    Ha! I keep thinking at some point the kool-aid is gonna kick in and I'm done. A rabid maniac fan.

Ha! I keep thinking at some point the kool-aid is gonna kick in and I'm done. A rabid maniac fan.
    Any minute now.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, actually.

chalkpie
    Don't sweat it bro. They ultimately may not scratch your itch - they actually annoy a ton of people who I have played them for. I wasn't a rabid maniac fan until a few years until after I heard them. Liked em, but didn't love them. Now, well, what Ian Zomby said - pretty much my favorite band ever at this point, or at least on the level with my favorites. The Britishness is the heart and soul of this music, and one of the reasons why I love them so much. PLEASE just don't give up after a few listens though.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Well, you guys have helped win over another fan. I've been listening to as much as I can online over the past several days. There's so much happening in the music, so much to digest. But I haven't yet heard a song I don't like. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a new musical discovery!

Favorites so far ...

R.E.S.
    Is This the Life
    Buds and Spawn
    Gibber and Twitch
    Loosefish Scapegrace

I like seeing this! You've been infected

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post

Favorites so far ...

R.E.S.
    Is This the Life
    Buds and Spawn
    Gibber and Twitch
    Loosefish Scapegrace

I also really like seeing "Loosefish" in there - how flippin' amazing is that tune?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I also really like seeing "Loosefish" in there - how flippin' amazing is that tune?
    It's great! But then so far, everything I've heard is.

This may be sacrilege to even suggest, but has anyone ever floated the idea of getting Cardiacs back on the road with someone subbing for Tim? And I mean someone who loves the music, has clearly been inspired by it, and would handle it with respect -- like, say, Mike Patton? They could even call it something besides Cardiacs if that was an issue. The music deserves to be heard in a live setting again! They could make the whole thing a tribute to Tim's genius, and even set aside a portion for the proceeds for his continued convalescence.

I know there was a tribute album, and talk of a benefit concert, but I'm not clear as to whether the latter ever happened.

Interesting idea that actually crossed my mind the other day. I can personally say that I wouldn't be crazy about it unless it a) wasn't called Cardiacs and b) was comprised of former Cardiacs members only.

Absolutely agree that all the other performers would have to be current or former Cardiacs. I think fans would go for it ... but then I just climbed onboard this crazy train, so what do I know?

Tim = Cardiacs
    Without Tim, no Cardiacs. It will just be a tribute band.

Thats how I feel but I am lucky enough to have seen them life a couple of times.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Tim = Cardiacs

Thats how I feel but I am lucky enough to have seen them life a couple of times.
    I feel the same way for Queen without Freddie, The Doors without Jim, if you have the charismatic front man it doesn't work without them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

That's exactly what I was thinking of -- the way Queen has gone out with different singers. I think it could be handled tastefully, with the right person taking over the frontman role, especially if it was done as a tribute to Tim, with most of the proceeds going to him. But I also totally understand why longtime fans wouldn't want to see that happen. Those of us new to all of this will probably have to settle for concert videos, alas.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Tim = Cardiacs

I'd go even further and say that Cardiacs = The Brothers Smith.

There is something to be said for not allowing the legacy of the band be tarnished by a second-rate tribute act. Keeps their legendary status in tact, IMO.

Meanwhile, this is still available......
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/ks...duct/272/3141/

"Tim Smith, the lead singer songwriter and guitarist of Cardiacs and numerous other seminal music projects suffered a severe stroke in 2008. The stroke has left Tim incapacitated so a host of the acts that he has influenced have recorded versions of his tracks for the charity album, Leader of the Starry Skies.

Two of the tracks from the album were released on a very limited white vinyl 7" single as part of Record Store Day 2011. The tracks are Steven Wilson's version of Stoneage Dinosaur and Oceansize's cover of Fear and a limited number of the 7" which were not sold on RSD are now available to order.

Stoneage Dinosaur / Fear is limited to only 2000 copies and all profits from the sales of the single will go to Tim."

Very cool, and I know a lot of Cardiacs alumni played on that tribute album.

Well, I just dropped about $120 on a bunch of CDs from the Cardiacs website, so hopefully some of that cash makes its way to Tim and helps with his recovery.

You are worthy of laudation!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)