Page 27 of 185 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

chalkpie
    PS - best fuckin song ever.

I have heard it probably a dozen times. I like it better now than I did the first time and certain parts of it I really like. I'll keep trying it (the whole StG album in general has been a slow grower for me; I like just about the whole thing now).

I felt the same way Ian. Dirty Boy was meh the first time I heard it. But, each time I hear it after, especially live, it get better and better. i love the way Tim sings it in the studio too. Great tune!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

chalkpie
    ^ Now that we have Loafster digging "Fiery Gun Hand", I think "Dirty Boy" might be next in line, eh?

Fiery Gun Hand is awesome. One of my favorite Cardiacs tunes.

chalkpie
    ^ First tune I ever heard. After reading about them here and seeing these cardiacs fanboys ranting and raving, I went to the site and I think they had "FGH" as a download - the guitar solo blew me apart, and then the scored section that follows.....dear lord.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Fiery Gun Hand is awesome. One of my favorite Cardiacs tunes.
    I concur.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I played that track for a friend who plays guitar. Had to pick his jaw up off the floor after it was over.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    My first and last Cardiacs gig, but what an experience! That 3-week London trip in 2004 was already almost too much for a Russian teenager, but this gig was a climax - I literally spent the following night and the entire next day unable to pick up my jaws from the floor, hopelessly trying to collect myself after what have been one of the greatest concert revelations of my entire life. And believe it or not, I haven't heard a note of Cardiacs prior to that! Went there and bought a ticket totally blind, thanks to the accolades I read on the old PE. Bought four CDs right there on the spot: "All that Glitters", "Heaven Born" and both parts of "Sing to God".

Thanks for the videos, really takes me back to those better times!
    Really great man.

Fiery Gun Hand is probably my absolute favorite Cardiacs song. Incredible tune.

My first and last Cardiacs gig, but what an experience! That 3-week London trip in 2004 was already almost too much for a Russian teenager, but this gig was a climax - I literally spent the following night and the entire next day unable to pick up my jaws from the floor, hopelessly trying to collect myself after what have been one of the greatest concert revelations of my entire life. And believe it or not, I haven't heard a note of Cardiacs prior to that! Went there and bought a ticket totally blind, thanks to the accolades I read on the old PE. Bought four CDs right there on the spot: "All that Glitters", "Heaven Born" and both parts of "Sing to God".

Thanks for the videos, really takes me back to those better times!
    Lev, was it the November (Christmas) Gig at the Astoria? If so, I was there too man!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    Lev, was it the November (Christmas) Gig at the Astoria? If so, I was there too man!

Yes, it was the November gig. One of my best friends was studying/working in London back then, and he was kind of struggling with the different world he found himself in (it's one thing when you just visit another country, but something different when you have to live and survive there without friends/relatives etc.). So I decided to cheer him up a bit, flew to UK, and we spent three weeks walking through the city and digesting some nice drinks in various pubs... I also suggested that we go to a concert by that weird band that I never heard but read a lot of good things about. He said why not, and suffice to say we now both regard it as one of the top gigs of our lives.

Yes, it was the November gig. One of my best friends was studying/working in London back then, and he was kind of struggling with the different world he found himself in (it's one thing when you just visit another country, but something different when you have to live and survive there without friends/relatives etc.). So I decided to cheer him up a bit, flew to UK, and we spent three weeks walking through the city and digesting some nice drinks in various pubs... I also suggested that we go to a concert by that weird band that I never heard but read a lot of good things about. He said why not, and suffice to say we now both regard it as one of the top gigs of our lives.
    Brilliant!

Has anyone heard Lifesigns? Are they the kind of band that would appeal to Cardiacs fans or more of the neo prog variety?

I am digging The Everso Closely Guarded Line as I type. A masterpiece if I have ever heard one. Pure magic.
    -Frank Zappa

absolutely - that part where the big organ swells up is one of the most epic moments in all of rock music. for real!!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Now there's a song that makes me go weak at the knees. You see, I can go for months without listening to Cardiacs and instead obsessing about other bands, but it's when I return to Cardiacs and hear moments like that in Everso Closely Guarded... that make me think "Yep, this is why Cardiacs are my favourite band of all time".

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    absolutely - that part where the big organ swells up is one of the most epic moments in all of rock music. for real!!
    Oh yea!! I'm also digging the hell out of Buds and Spawn. I never realized what an amazing composition this is!

Also, in Everso, I love the little percussion and synth interludes.
    -Frank Zappa

For thoze catz here who ain't heard it yet, kan I direkt youz all to lizzen to the original version of Nurses Whispering Verses! It's one of their earliest tunes in their HUGE ANTHEMIC category; and for me their best song ever!

The mail lady was kind to me today.

image.jpg

So, just finished Songs for Ships and Irons. I've admittedly avoided this one for awhile, unwisely thinking it was a bunch of stuff not good enough for the albums. Boy was I wrong. Very wrong. This thing is just amazingly brilliant, loved every song on it. In fact, during several tracks I was laughing out loud. Really. Not at the music, with the music. I just couldn't believe my ears at how great these compositions are. I see this image of Tim in my head as a guy who is just a musical genius playing around and having blast at seeing what he can do with all of these ideas rolling around in his inventive mind. He could write serious music, but instead he writes music that is fun to listen to, but takes serious chops to play. Just amazing!

Stand out tracks on first listen (well, all of them were standouts, really) were "Tarred and Feathered", "Too Many Irons in the Fire, Loosefish Scrapegrace, and All His Geese Are Swans. As soon as the last piece started, I thought, 'this better be an instrumental - this NEEDS to be an instrumental, because I want to hear a Tim Smith instrumental!" I wasn't disappointed. Whatever the opposite of disappointed is, that's how I felt about this WHOLE ALBUM. I thought it was a collection of outtakes; I was wrong - it is Tim Smith's "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" or "Living in the Past"; all of the brilliant things that didn't fit the actual albums for one reason or another. Anyway, enough rambling for me. Cardiacs rule.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 08-09-2014 at 01:34 AM.

There's a live session on BBC Radio 6 tonight. Not sure when it was recorded?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    So, just finished Songs for Ships and Irons. I've admittedly avoided this one for awhile, unwisely thinking it was a bunch of stuff not good enough for the albums. Boy was I wrong. Very wrong. This thing is just amazingly brilliant, loved every song on it. In fact, during several tracks I was laughing out loud. Really. Not at the music, with the music. I just couldn't believe my ears at how great these compositions are. I see this image of Tim in my head as a guy who is just a musical genius playing around and having blast at seeing what he can do with all of these ideas rolling around in his inventive mind. He could write serious music, but instead he writes music that is fun to listen to, but takes serious chops to play. Just amazing!

Stand out tracks on first listen (well, all of them were standouts, really) were "Tarred and Feathered", "Too Many Irons in the Fire, Loosefish Scrapegrace, and All His Geese Are Swans. As soon as the last piece started, I thought, 'this better be an instrumental - this NEEDS to be an instrumental, because I want to hear a Tim Smith instrumental!" I wasn't disappointed. Whatever the opposite of disappointed is, that's how I felt about this WHOLE ALBUM. I thought it was a collection of outtakes; I was wrong - it is Tim Smith's "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" or "Living in the Past"; all of the brilliant things that didn't fit the actual albums for one reason or another. Anyway, enough rambling for me. Cardiacs rule.
    Yeah man. Agreed 103% I'm also really glad that you're digging "All His Geese are Swans" - L-O-V-E that tune. Every tune is a gem here, and both "Loosefish" and "Big Ship" might be Top 5 Cardiacs for me....at least Top 10 at this point.

This is one of my favorite Cardiacs albums period, and possibly the best place to start for a newbie. I'm interested in what you're gonna think of "Heaven Born".