Page 142 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I understand from the comments Tim IS involved.
    Great to hear!

The Alphabet Business Concern visited my house to revoke my Love For Cardiacs membership card, since it had been too long since the sounds of Tim had graced my eardrums. I have rectified that and have now returned to my former glory.

When I go through another play-through, I tend to find new songs that had somehow escaped my notice previously. In this case, the winner was Baby Heart Dirt. I love the controlled keyboard chaos over the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    The Alphabet Business Concern visited my house to revoke my Love For Cardiacs membership card, since it had been too long since the sounds of Tim had graced my eardrums. I have rectified that and have now returned to my former glory.

When I go through another play-through, I tend to find new songs that had somehow escaped my notice previously. In this case, the winner was Baby Heart Dirt. I love the controlled keyboard chaos over the last minute.

My favorite album overall - Innit... Everso ---- My favorite tune - dare I say all time? Yeah - why not - has it all. Everything in one place just for me. ME.

Bizarrely, this (and Buds and Spawn) popped up on my i-pod yesterday ... both awesome tracks. Perish the thought of ABC's greasy mitts scrabbling at my windows in the middle of the night...like some perverted Salem's Lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    Bizarrely, this (and Buds and Spawn) popped up on my i-pod yesterday ... both awesome tracks. Perish the thought of ABC's greasy mitts scrabbling at my windows in the middle of the night...like some perverted Salem's Lot.
    Salem's Lot... HAHAHA. Creepy! I often see Babba floating around outside the window scratching - he's Tiny.

I still have "trouble" with Buds/Spawn. Great tune - its just too overwhelming for me sometimes, which is pretty much the only instance this ever happens with THE Cardiacs. Prolly my brain is just fucked up beyond repair at this point. Yeah, I'm sure of it.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I still have "trouble" with Buds/Spawn. Great tune - its just too overwhelming for me sometimes, which is pretty much the only instance this ever happens with THE Cardiacs. Prolly my brain is just fucked up beyond repair at this point. Yeah, I'm sure of it.
    Love the tune, though. See - fucked up.....

PS - This is common knowledge but The Duck/Roger is just an absolutely brilliant tune beyond any logical comprehension. HOW in the fuck did he come up with these ideas, themes, and then had the brilliance and sheer audacity to saute and bake it all together? Fooking hell.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    You mean the fundraiser? It went....well. To put it mildly. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/timsmith

He'd better not spend all that coin on hookers and blow tho.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I still have "trouble" with Buds/Spawn. Great tune - its just too overwhelming for me sometimes, [...]
    Frank, I'm not gonna lie -- this really surprised me.

Of all the tunes from On Land, that's probably the one I would have least suspected of being the culprit. That's pretty interesting!

Buds And Spawn is one of my favorite tracks actually, but I have dozens upon dozens of those when it comes to Cardiacs, so maybe that's not saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    You mean the fundraiser? It went....well. To put it mildly. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/timsmith

He'd better not spend all that coin on hookers and blow tho.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Frank, I'm not gonna lie -- this really surprised me.

Of all the tunes from On Land, that's probably the one I would have least suspected of being the culprit. That's pretty interesting!

Buds And Spawn is one of my favorite tracks actually, but I have dozens upon dozens of those when it comes to Cardiacs, so maybe that's not saying much.
    I mean, I love the tune, so don't get me wrong. I just find that sometimes Buds possibly goes on for a tad too long for my taste, and I get a bit of fatigue, so maybe its a form type of thing. I dunno, I can't say that about anything else penned by Tim, but its this one instance for me. But like I said, its a fantastic tune with some nice tricky time sig changes, and great great harmonic changes/progressions (of course as Tim ALWAYS has in his pieces).

I mean, I love the tune, so don't get me wrong. I just find that sometimes Buds possibly goes on for a tad too long for my taste, and I get a bit of fatigue, so maybe its a form type of thing. I dunno, I can't say that about anything else penned by Tim, but its this one instance for me. But like I said, its a fantastic tune with some nice tricky time sig changes, and great great harmonic changes/progressions (of course as Tim ALWAYS has in his pieces).
    Actually I find this sort of heartening. Because there are a few other Cardiacs tunes that are more of a trial for me sometimes, so it makes me feel a little better knowing that others experience it too.

Just a few days ago I had Tim Smith's Extra Special OceanLandWorld playing in my car. Crikey! Who let that man run loose and unsupervised like that? It's incredible the level of genius on display with that disc.

Actually I find this sort of heartening. Because there are a few other Cardiacs tunes that are more of a trial for me sometimes, so it makes me feel a little better knowing that others experience it too.

Just a few days ago I had Tim Smith's Extra Special OceanLandWorld playing in my car. Crikey! Who let that man run loose and unsupervised like that? It's incredible the level of genius on display with that disc.
    Yeah, if you don't go toe-to-toe with Cardiacs, they will take you down. You have to be mentally ready because a lot of the time the energy level is completely bonkers and off the charts, and yet that is one of the greatest and most endearing aspects of their music. Well, its one of about 97 things that they do amazingly well. Sing to God can certainly be daunting from soup-to-nuts, especially for a novice, yeah? I know it so well at this point that I can and will never get tired of it, and Tim definitely had a great sense of tension-and-release at many points on the album to give the listener a bit of breathing room, so-to-speak. How much he actually planned that out would be anybody's guess, but he is such an intelligent and creative guy that you would have to believe he had at least some semblance or grand scheme for the tracklist to make it interesting, diverse, and not to completely pummel the listener with a 395 lb sledgehammer

Re: OceanLandWorld, rumor has it that he banged it out in some insane short amount of time, but I don't really know that as carved in stone, only hearsay. And yes, its fucking fantastic!

^^ Agreed on all counts, my man. I think I played disc 1 of Sing To God multiple times every day for a week, and then moved on and did the same thing with disc 2 the next week. Tunes like "Bellyeye" and "Flap Off You Beak"; quite seriously, I had never heard anything like it before.

Knowing what little I do about Tim, it would not surprise me if the rumors about OceanLandWorld are true. Not sure what I was expecting when I first put that disc on to listen to it, but I was not prepared for how diverse and accessible it was. "This Grounds Town" should have been a hit radio single -- in a better world, it might've been.

This morning I listened to all of On Land, front to back, while at work and now I'm feeling pretty good!

^^ Agreed on all counts, my man. I think I played disc 1 of Sing To God multiple times every day for a week, and then moved on and did the same thing with disc 2 the next week. Tunes like "Bellyeye" and "Flap Off You Beak"; quite seriously, I had never heard anything like it before.

Knowing what little I do about Tim, it would not surprise me if the rumors about OceanLandWorld are true. Not sure what I was expecting when I first put that disc on to listen to it, but I was not prepared for how diverse and accessible it was. "This Grounds Town" should have been a hit radio single -- in a better world, it might've been.

This morning I listened to all of On Land, front to back, while at work and now I'm feeling pretty good!
    Tim recorded OceanLandWorld over several years - 89-to release - there is a nice grotty instrumental version floating around too. I stayed with Lynda Featherstone my last couple times over the Pond - she gave it to me straight - he didnt do it as fast as some have said.

New Cardiacs cover from Weasel Walter’s No Wave/Noise group Cellular Chaos

https://cellularchaos.bandcamp.com/track/dirty-girl

I saw that also! I know I am late on the Cardiacs bus but these were new to me.

The artwork - its pants... not sure where that came from or if it has bits pulled from something old... but no likey.

That was my first thought. The original wasn't all that, but this does look a little cobbled together ... but never mind, i think the song is one of the greatest of their latter years. Powerful yet weird. Perfect. I can't remember whether Kavus as indicated whether the sound of Ditzy Scene was indicative of what the final albul (sic) would have sounded like. Can you recall whether he's spoken about it at all?

That was my first thought. The original wasn't all that, but this does look a little cobbled together ... but never mind, i think the song is one of the greatest of their latter years. Powerful yet weird. Perfect. I can't remember whether Kavus as indicated whether the sound of Ditzy Scene was indicative of what the final albul (sic) would have sounded like. Can you recall whether he's spoken about it at all?
    My two cents... when I went to see Guapo in Rome in september 2008, when Kavus was their guitarist, he told me that the single was mixed in a rush because Organ wanted it ready for the November tour... also when I spoke with Bob last year he told me that that was going to be the sound of the record.... live drums and everything.... I love the Ditzy Scene single... the middle solo of Gen is genius, just like all the shifting keys at the end of Made all up....

And here's a version of GEN from the Radio...

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    My two cents... when I went to see Guapo in Rome in september 2008, when Kavus was their guitarist, he told me that the single was mixed in a rush because Organ wanted it ready for the November tour... also when I spoke with Bob last year he told me that that was going to be the sound of the record.... live drums and everything.... I love the Ditzy Scene single... the middle solo of Gen is genius, just like all the shifting keys at the end of Made all up....

And here's a version of GEN from the Radio...
    Everything you said Sterby --- I think that solo is sick - a country jamboree on crack. Love it!

Hello Cardiacs aficionados...
    As you may or may not know, we as STERBUS recorded a new double album, featuring BOB LEITH of Cardiacs fame on drums on all his 17 songs, and he also sings lead on one!
    The album has also contribution from the splendid CHARLIE CAWOOD (Knifeworld), DEBZ JOY and DAVID SHERIDON (The Army of Moths), NICK PROL (Nick Prol and the Proletarians), ADRIAN BECKWITH (Barnslou Trio), NOEL STOREY (The Pocket Gods)... all ponds and members of the best band family in the world...

The album has been released yesterday at midnight, and we're literally overwhelmed by the positive response we had so far! Thank you all!

Here's a link to it:
    https://sterbus.bandcamp.com/album/r...e-fake-inverno

And the video for the song called MAYBE BABY:

...also we're supporting MAJOR PARKINSON and THE DISPLAY TEAM next friday in London at the Water Rats, we couldn't be more happy!
    Emanuele