Page 135 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You got any more details on this?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post

Preston

Pop concert.

More to follow

Everything turns out nicely in the summer time

Attachment 11178
    WTF is this? It looks awesome.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I am able to assure you that more details shall indeed be forthcoming.

x

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    I am able to assure you that more details shall indeed be forthcoming.

x
    Indeed. Timmy benefit #2. I only know the date and where - but that's cool... gotta buy plane tickets and sort out the hundred visits with friends. I hope one of those is with you Bob! Great chance I'm brining Nero too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Indeed. Timmy benefit #2. I only know the date and where - but that's cool... gotta buy plane tickets and sort out the hundred visits with friends. I hope one of those is with you Bob! Great chance I'm brining Nero too.
    I'll just say that I'm playing at two Tim benefits this year........and I hope you bring Nero along! I've enjoyed our little conversations about and music and so on.

x
    BD

I'll just say that I'm playing at two Tim benefits this year........and I hope you bring Nero along! I've enjoyed our little conversations about and music and so on.

x
    BD
    So Bob - have you heard all/most/some of Cardiacs music by this point? Any particular favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So Bob - have you heard all/most/some of Cardiacs music by this point? Any particular favorites?
    I have Sing to God and have played that many times, to the point where I know all the songs quite well. That album definitely grabbed me right off, with those lovely vocal parts at the beginning, right up my street. Other bits of that which especially grabbed me are the song "Bellyeye" with those beautiful lifting choruses and key changes, and that amazing rockin section about 3/4 of the way through. Needless to say the ending of "Dirty Boy" is inspired and stunning...and "Dog Like Sparky" which was the first Cardiacs song I heard, just a few years ago. I have heard The Seaside and Special Ocean Land World, and the first Sea Nymphs (the latter also got me right from the start) and only recently heard a song from Guns, "Junior is a Jitterbug", the second part of that that one is really fascinatingly delicious. There is still plenty I haven't heard but I don't need to rush into it, even if I had the time.

Here's what I wrote for the Alphabet Business Convention's booklet, all the performers were to write something about their experience with Tim's music:

I was introduced to the Universe of Tim’s music and related worlds just 5 or 6 years ago while attempting to tile the floor of my garage. On that fateful day, I donned my work clothes, mixed up a tub of tiling cement, then looked for some music to listen to. I remembered my friend Kavus Torabi, who I’d met a few years earlier, had recently given me some CDRs by his various pals which he thought I might enjoy, so I dug those out and chose one labeled “The Sea Nymphs”, stuck it into the player, picked up my trowel and turned to get to work. I did not get far. The moment the music came from the speakers I was literally stopped in my tracks, spellbound. The whole CDR played as I stood there transfixed, astonished, immobile, trowel in hand. Then I played it again. The cement hardened in the tub.
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 01-22-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Sounds great ! Those benefits are always full of love and good people!

...plus one more chance to eat some proper eggs and bacon and fish and chips and sunday and a roast that are totally crap in Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Sounds great ! Those benefits are always full of love and good people!

...plus one more chance to eat some proper eggs and bacon and fish and chips and sunday and a roast that are totally crap in Italy
    An Italian that is craving for English food?!?!?!

It is the end of the world as we know it!!!

"More details" is not the Alphabet Business Concern way, dude....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "More details" is not the Alphabet Business Concern way, dude....
    We are not worthy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

x
    BD
    Oh man... oh man... oh man. Nero told me the other night about how much he enjoys those emails with you. The plane tickets are gonna be had for sure now!

We are not worthy.
    That's correct. None of you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I have Sing to God and have played that many times, to the point where I know all the songs quite well. That album definitely grabbed me right off, with those lovely vocal parts at the beginning, right up my street. Other bits of that which especially grabbed me are the song "Bellyeye" with those beautiful lifting choruses and key changes, and that amazing rockin section about 3/4 of the way through. Needless to say the ending of "Dirty Boy" is inspired and stunning...and "Dog Like Sparky" which was the first Cardiacs song I heard, just a few years ago. I have heard The Seaside and Special Ocean Land World, and the first Sea Nymphs (the latter also got me right from the start) and only recently heard a song from Guns, "Junior is a Jitterbug", the second part of that that one is really fascinatingly delicious. There is still plenty I haven't heard but I don't need to rush into it, even if I had the time.

Here's what I wrote for the Alphabet Business Convention's booklet, all the performers were to write something about their experience with Tim's music:

I was introduced to the Universe of Tim’s music and related worlds just 5 or 6 years ago while attempting to tile the floor of my garage. On that fateful day, I donned my work clothes, mixed up a tub of tiling cement, then looked for some music to listen to. I remembered my friend Kavus Torabi, who I’d met a few years earlier, had recently given me some CDRs by his various pals which he thought I might enjoy, so I dug those out and chose one labeled “The Sea Nymphs”, stuck it into the player, picked up my trowel and turned to get to work. I did not get far. The moment the music came from the speakers I was literally stopped in my tracks, spellbound. The whole CDR played as I stood there transfixed, astonished, immobile, trowel in hand. Then I played it again. The cement hardened in the tub.
    This is fantastic Bob, and spot on as well. I'm so glad you that admire and appreciate this music. You hit the nail on the head in regards to both "Dirty Boy" and "Jitterbug" - two (beyond) exceptional compositions. "Dirty Boy" is without a doubt one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite 'rock' tune ever. And yes, "Jitterbug" takes the listener somewhere else for sure - Tim has an immense gift for creating something so otherworldly, so beautiful, and so unique. "Fiery Gun Hand" popped my cherry - it was the first thing I had ever heard and remains a favorite, and "Dog Like Sparky" isn't far behind. Tim can write a tune that is akin to climbing a mountain - you may have thinked its peaked, but alas he has other plans, and he has the ability to take you higher and higher up the mountain. Sometimes it just overwhelms the listeners senses. Or he'll pull the rug out from under you. Or both. That is a true gift in composition, imo.

I hear some parallels in your music and Tim's music. I think you are both immensely melodic, and that is a major focal point for both of you. I also hear a very adventurous harmonic structure in both Cardiacs and BD - chord progressions that both defy the norm and keep the listener on their toes at all times. And of course the prodigious, virtuosic, and technical and musical aspect that is always prevalent. Just a few reasons right there why I can justify stating that both BD and Cardiacs are my desert island and frozen tundra "bands"

When you have the time and inclination, please don't miss the albums that maybe you haven't heard, such as A Little Man, Heaven Born, On Land, Songs for Ships and Irons (there is a tune on there called "Loosefish Scapegrace" that I think you would absolutely LOVE - it has that 'climbing the mountain aspect' thing happening), and especially the live stuff. Also search out another amazing album called Spratley's Japs Pony . Everything Tim has written is of super high quality - all of it.

Oh, I just thought of another one since you like The Sea Nymphs - its called Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake - its really outstanding, very unique, and sort of a dark, surrealist, charcoal version of Sea Nymphs - a must!
    Last edited by chalkpie; 01-22-2018 at 07:53 PM.

I also see these similarities ^^^^

I see also a similarity in the lyrics. Both Tim and Bob create these surrealistic humurous worlds where you just love to spend some time in. There is also a difference of course. Tims lyrics seem to come from the brain of a 6 year old....on LSD, While Bobs are probably from a 15 year old on LSD ;-)

[QUOTE=thedunno;772602
    Tims lyrics seem to come from the brain of a 6 year old....on LSD, While Bobs are probably from a 15 year old on LSD ;-)[/QUOTE]

haha, don't necessarily agree but I know what you mean, even though I've never tried LSD!

I also noticed Tim's way of placing vocals inside a mix was often similar to my own - there is a way of putting the voice "inside" a vast place where the music is going on all around it, yet it still cuts through, and its placement makes the music and the overall "event" sound even larger. If you listen to the voice alone it may have a seemingly absurd amount of echo/reverb on it, which partially blends into, and is not really noticeable inside of, the music, but it adds extra dimension(s) and inexplicable meaning. Too much and it's just a mess or sounds like an effect, too little doesn't do anything, but when you get it just right it's the thrill up the spine.

BD

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    An Italian that is craving for English food?!?!?!

It is the end of the world as we know it!!!
    Ahah, sometimes I just need a break from PERFECT pasta and PERFECT pizza

Now, where's my triple pancake with maple syrup and bacon on top?

(you may think how is this related with Cardiacs, but then I'll reply that I ate my first pancake like the one described before last year, going to the convention in Salisbury, so...)

haha, don't necessarily agree but I know what you mean, even though I've never tried LSD!

I also noticed Tim's way of placing vocals inside a mix was often similar to my own - there is a way of putting the voice "inside" a vast place where the music is going on all around it, yet it still cuts through, and its placement makes the music and the overall "event" sound even larger. If you listen to the voice alone it may have a seemingly absurd amount of echo/reverb on it, which partially blends into, and is not really noticeable inside of, the music, but it adds extra dimension(s) and inexplicable meaning. Too much and it's just a mess or sounds like an effect, too little doesn't do anything, but when you get it just right it's the thrill up the spine.

BD
    at some point after you hear The Everso Closely Guarded Line - let us know. It IS - my favorite song. The epic rare statement from most of us innit. lol

There can be few more profound achievements in music than to have hardened Bob Drake's cement.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Ahah, sometimes I just need a break from PERFECT pasta and PERFECT pizza

Now, where's my triple pancake with maple syrup and bacon on top?

(you may think how is this related with Cardiacs, but then I'll reply that I ate my first pancake like the one described before last year, going to the convention in Salisbury, so...)
    I always feel that the only decent reasonably priced food you can find in England is in Indian restaurants. But then again; I am a veggie.

In italy however.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    There can be few more profound achievements in music than to have hardened Bob Drake's cement.

Dancing About Architecture: "You're very productive. When you write music, how do you know what's to become a CARDIACS-song, a SEA NYMPHS-song, an OCEANLAND-song or a PANIXSPHERE-song?"

Tim Smith: "Well, the OCEANLAND thing for example was just done out of necessity. I'll try to cut a long story short: Years ago it got to the point when I got totally skint. I had no money what so ever. I gave myself a week to record an album, really quick stuff. I wrote it and recorded most of it in a week, just to be able to sell tapes at CARDIACS-gigs so that I could get some pocket money. Then things weren't so bad after that and it got shelved for a while. When we re-released all the CARDIACS stuff we stuck it out on that. It's not what I would call a "solo-album", it's just a bunch of songs that I did quickly. I quite like it, it's nice, but it was just done at home under the bed on a little 8-track thing."

A great video

Beat me to it Sterby! Its fab.

^ Very, very good! Should be shown in schools (except the footage of Jim).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."