Page 130 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

^

WTF kind of "fan" uploads a newly released DVD? Fuck that shit.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    ^

WTF kind of "fan" uploads a newly released DVD? Fuck that shit.
    Its already gone.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Its already gone.
    The Consultant never sleeps!

"No Bright Side" is my fav Cardiacs tune on some days.....its......just.....I don't have words.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    "No Bright Side" is my fav Cardiacs tune on some days.....its......just.....I don't have words.
    Been rampaging through the singles lately - just as badass as anything else on any album too - that tune and of course - 'Ideal' 'Spinny' and 'What Paradise is Like' ---- OMG. Too good. The version of 'Ideal' on the radio show is probably the best thing ever with the bassy recording

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Been rampaging through the singles lately - just as badass as anything else on any album too - that tune and of course - 'Ideal' 'Spinny' and 'What Paradise is Like' ---- OMG. Too good. The version of 'Ideal' on the radio show is probably the best thing ever with the bassy recording
    I'll check that out - cheers.

I'm sure this has been covered here 4 years ago or whenever, but do we know (Kavus or anybody?) if any other live recordings with similar sonic excellence of The Garage Concerts exist anywhere?

I'm sure this has been covered here 4 years ago or whenever, but do we know (Kavus or anybody?) if any other live recordings with similar sonic excellence of The Garage Concerts exist anywhere?
    Is The Special Garage Concerts that much better sounding than all the other live Cardiacs releases to your ears?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Is The Special Garage Concerts that much better sounding than all the other live Cardiacs releases to your ears?
    Cardiacs Live has more character to it... is a bit more open and the better lineup - but Garage is a pretty damn fine capture and mix.

Being the fanatic of this band that I am, I truly love and appreciate every live morsel they have ever released, so that is stated up front. Personally, in terms of The Garage Concerts from a strictly 'sonic' perspective, it is my favorite in the respect that it is an absolutely crystal clear recording with modern aesthetics, and it has teeth upon teeth upon teeth. You can appreciate every subtle kick drum by Bob (should you want to), the blistering dual guitars of Tim/Kavus, as well as feeling and hearing every single bass line by Jim. It truly captures the "room" sound quite well, and cranked loud enough, really gives me a pretty good perspective of being there. I think it has just the perfect amount of compression (if that was part of the equation). In terms of the material, I have come to the conclusion that this early stuff is as good as anything Tim ever wrote, and some tunes (dare I say) might be better than some later stuff. Its REALLY grown on me and I love it. Period.

And not to say this because I consider Kavus a friend of mine and/or that he is just a generally wonderful human being, but this quartet brings a ferocity and tightness to the table that is unique in the history of this band. Part of that importance and uniqueness is Kavus's playing AND his tone. IMO he blends as good or better with Tim than anybody prior to the band, and that is no slight to Random Jon (whom I love and admire more than I can convey here). I also love his vocals and when the three-part harmonies (or unison chanting) pops up, its pure goosebumps. And its all captured beautifully and honestly. And I wish there was more

So, short answer: yes, my favorite "sounding" Cardiacs live recording. However, to say that I don't enjoy the amazing sextet and the classic material of Mare's Nest and Live equally would be disingenuous.

Hello Mr Minnow.....that riff is so hip.....its has some trace of reggae in there, no?

I know there is still an unfinished DVD on the shelves from a concert at the Asoria in 2005 or 2006.

I know there is still an unfinished DVD on the shelves from a concert at the Asoria in 2005 or 2006.
    That's what I am talking about....thanks....I assumed there must be at least one more pro-shot or recorded audio. Imagine hearing "Dirty Boy" with the Kavus Quartet in hi-fi? Oh boy.

PS - Played the "new" Seaside last night again on the home hi-fi. What a fabulous album, and the sound is stellar, even considering the time period. I generally love the way the drums and bass were captured on the majority of this album. Then I followed it with Heaven Born....unbelievable tunes imo.....least favorite sounding Cardiacs album to my ears. Tim's voice is majestic on those tunes.

Any Cardiacs nuts going to be in the vicinity of Amsterdam on 2nd November?

http://steim.org/event/connector-v/

Blurb:

Composers are not necessarily dead. They also do not necessarily write symphonies in D flat minor in a 4/4 time signature. Tim Smith, frontman of the British band called Cardiacs is a great composer who wrote lots of music permeated with energy, humor, beauty, britishness. By people who only partly open their ears (or their minds for that matter), his music has been defined being ‘chaotic’. The opposite is true, however: it is strongly organised music and all one needs to be able to do is count past four (and not forget about prime numbers). This challenging mix of punk, progrock, orchestral and live electronic music (also known as ‘pronk”) will be performed by BarmyFiveseveN, an ensemble from the Conservatorium van Amsterdam. BarmyFiveseveN, directed by Jos Zwaanenburg, is a small bigband of around 15 players, armed with live electronic extensions.

Would love to be there (but I won't be ).
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Any Cardiacs nuts going to be in the vicinity of Amsterdam on 2nd November?

http://steim.org/event/connector-v/

Blurb:

Composers are not necessarily dead. They also do not necessarily write symphonies in D flat minor in a 4/4 time signature. Tim Smith, frontman of the British band called Cardiacs is a great composer who wrote lots of music permeated with energy, humor, beauty, britishness. By people who only partly open their ears (or their minds for that matter), his music has been defined being ‘chaotic’. The opposite is true, however: it is strongly organised music and all one needs to be able to do is count past four (and not forget about prime numbers). This challenging mix of punk, progrock, orchestral and live electronic music (also known as ‘pronk”) will be performed by BarmyFiveseveN, an ensemble from the Conservatorium van Amsterdam. BarmyFiveseveN, directed by Jos Zwaanenburg, is a small bigband of around 15 players, armed with live electronic extensions.

Would love to be there (but I won't be ).
    I saw it announced on FB and it definately has my intrest. However 2 November is a bit of bad date for me (workwise) so I doubt i can be there in time.
    Last edited by thedunno; 10-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Sounds phenomenal - I hope its recorded in some capacity. I've been hoping for an "Ed Palermo" type of Cardiacs tribute - maybe this is the one?

^ Well, I can’t believe they learnt all that difficult material just to play it once. So there must be hope that a recording will emerge at some point, even if not from 2nd November.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I'm gonna be a big YT star someday.......

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Best link ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Best link ever.
    Good thing the WS blurb has a spoiler warning!

More reviews of the Rotten Shed DVD coming in…
    “Imagine Jonestown, but without all the fun and games. For once, we’re relieved there’s missing footage.” – Siskel & Ebert
    “It’s like the Stanford prison experiment without the sanitation buckets.” - Jacques Derrida

Hello Mr Minnow.....that riff is so hip.....its has some trace of reggae in there, no?
    “Minnow” is Gentle Giant and Madness having a kinky time. The reggae (or rather 2-Tone) influence on early Cardiacs is undeniable.

You know, the sprawling, high-octane Garage set has become one of my most played Cardiacs albums (if you don’t count The Sea Nymphs and M&MS+MD). I keep returning to it again and again, discovering new details and digging previously overlooked tunes all the time. A new favorite is “A Balloon for Bertie's Party”. Quite the epic, that one.

“Minnow” is Gentle Giant and Madness having a kinky time. The reggae (or rather 2-Tone) influence on early Cardiacs is undeniable.
    The instrumental part of Mr Minnow is just perfection. The version from the bumming shed is probably the best one.

I watched the DVD now many times and I wonder.....

......... Did you guys see that giant squirrel??

And.... If yes, how big was it?

The instrumental part of Mr Minnow is just perfection. The version from the bumming shed is probably the best one.

I watched the DVD now many times and I wonder.....

......... Did you guys see that giant squirrel??

And.... If yes, how big was it?
    Huge! About twice the size of the little one and it had the face of Winston Churchill.

Huge! About twice the size of the little one and it had the face of Winston Churchill.
    Nono...that was Jim.