Page 12 of 185 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So I've had A little Man, and, On Land and in the Sea, for a couple of weeks now and I may like both better than Sing To God. I am now officially a fanboy.
    Prediction: They will become Top 5 material ever for you. Same thing happened to me. They suck you in like a Dyson Vacuum cleaner, minus the wombats and dingoes.

Go listen to "Loosefish Scapegrace" a few more times and tell me that isn't one of the greatest tunes you have ever heard by anybody anytime.

Nice!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Note this little bit of nastiness from the new site from those uncaring hellions at Alphabet Business Concern:

--

History update August 2013

And so for five years, history ceased to be created by Cardiacs. Unless we consider the undignified shenanigans of Tim Smith who ‘fell’ into a pool filled with shit and is still crawling and scratching his way out of it. The ALPHABET BUSINESS CONCERN wishes it to be known that, whilst maintaining complete control of his artistic output, they disassociate themselves ENTIRELY with his recent illness and, in fact, fail to recognise it as an excuse for not fulfilling his duties.

--

This makes me hopeful that maybe things are beginning to be a little bit better enough with Tim's health that they can start making with the evilness again.

I hope so...
    Yeah, it almost seems like Tim is taking the piss, or fucking with us (in French) in a way. Maybe I'm reading to far into this? That may be incredible news! Any steps forward of improving his quality of life at this point is priceless. I hope he is stoked by this recent resurgence of sales, cardiacs-related tributes, and general Cardiacs mania (which is evident if any of you are members over at The Mare's Nest).

GO TIM!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Prediction: They will become Top 5 material ever for you. Same thing happened to me. They suck you in like a Dyson Vacuum cleaner, minus the wombats and dingoes.

Go listen to "Loosefish Scapegrace" a few more times and tell me that isn't one of the greatest tunes you have ever heard by anybody anytime.

Nice!
    I'd have to have Songs For Ships and Irons to hear that.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    I'd have to have Songs For Ships and Irons to hear that.
    Oh yeah, the '95 reissue omitted this which was on the '88 release. So you NEED Songs for Ships anyway (trust me, as good as any, and one of my fav's). Get 'er done!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The new reissues are very tempting, but still a bit pricey. Any chance they will be sold on any American websites? I would love to own at least one to see what the hype is all about. I'm sure I'd love it...
    We have copies due in within the next week or so...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Now that is good news.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"Cardiacs ruined me!"

Yea, that's how good they are. After I first heard Cardiacs in the late 80s, my music listening changed forever, everything else I heard was compared to them. And my existence was a search for music as good as Cardiacs, but only a few bands came remotely close.

Great, thanks Steve!!

I will probably snag a couple of items from Chez Wayside once they arrive.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I will probably snag a couple of items from Chez Wayside once they arrive.
    Fan or curious?

Ummm...newish fan, I guess. Hadn't really listened to them before, but got curious via this thread. Got Little Man when their shop reopened, liked it and got On Land and Sing to God. Also was apparently crazy lucky and found a used copy of Songs for Ships and Irons on CD for about $25.

I like them all, although I like Ships and Little Man most. I am curious to check out more, and Steve having copies stateside will certainly make that easier

So.....not quite as..."enthusiastic" as some of you fine folks But definitely happy to have discovered them.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ummm...newish fan, I guess. Hadn't really listened to them before, but got curious via this thread. Got Little Man when their shop reopened, liked it and got On Land and Sing to God. Also was apparently crazy lucky and found a used copy of Songs for Ships and Irons on CD for about $25.

I like them all, although I like Ships and Little Man most. I am curious to check out more, and Steve having copies stateside will certainly make that easier

So.....not quite as..."enthusiastic" as some of you fine folks But definitely happy to have discovered them.
    You've got three of the best albums already i.e. On Land, Little Man and Ships & Irons.

Your obvious next purchase should be the third early LP to complete that trilogy of albums that featured the old 7 man lineup i.e. The Seaside. BUT as you've already got the other two plus Ships & Irons (which is actually a compo of early EPs) I would suggest that you HAVE to, MUST get Heaven Born and Ever Bright, which is the first album with the reduced 4 man line up, it is my fav album after Ships & Irons.

Then you must get Archives, which basically compiles the first two cassette albums of Toy World and The Obvious Identity.

Then there is Guns that came after StG.

After that you've got FIVE, count them, FIVE live albums to work through!
    Reading ("Rude Bootleg") Amsterdam ("Cardiacs Live") - old line-up
    Salisbury, North London x 2 (Garage Concerts Vols. I & II) - reduced line up.

The Salisbury gig album "All That Glitters is a Mares Nest", includes performances from Bic, Jon and Sarah. Many consider it their best. But I really like the 2 live albums from the old line up, as well as the Garage Concerts when they played all the really early stuff, what can I say, I love them all!
    Last edited by PeterG; 10-22-2013 at 04:09 AM.

I really hope the Garage Concerts are rereleased soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    You've got three of the best albums already i.e. On Land, Little Man and Ships & Irons.

Your obvious next purchase should be the third early LP to complete that trilogy of albums that featured the old 7 man lineup i.e. The Seaside. BUT as you've already got the other two plus Ships & Irons (which is actually a compo of early EPs) I would suggest that you HAVE to, MUST get Heaven Born and Ever Bright, which is the first album with the reduced 4 man line up, it is my fav album after Ships & Irons.

Then you must get Archives, which basically compiles the first two cassette albums of Toy World and The Obvious Identity.

Then there is Guns that came after StG.

After that you've got FIVE, count them, FIVE live albums to work through!
    Reading ("Rude Bootleg") Amsterdam ("Cardiacs Live") - old line-up
    Salisbury, North London x 2 (Garage Concerts Vols. I & II) - reduced line up.

The Salisbury gig album "All That Glitters is a Mares Nest", includes performances from Bic, Jon and Sarah. Many consider it their best. But I really like the 2 live albums from the old line up, as well as the Garage Concerts when they played all the really early stuff, what can I say, I love them all!
    Yes, so I have noticed

I've mostly stayed in lurker mode because, for the most part I like the Cardiacs but don't love them to quite the same degree as folks 'round these parts. Normally I'd be spreading out my purchases but...well, who knows how long they'll still have this stuff in stock. At this point I'm still mostly digesting Little Man (and the first two tracks on Songs for Ships & Irons are just swanky), but will hopefully get 'round to the other titles in due time...

Based on the Pffoil (sp?) thread, I'd planned to get the Archive plus the Mares Nest DVD. I'll probably Heaven Born to the list while I'm at it.

Oh yeah...I also branched a bit and picked up a Knifeworld and a William Drake while at it. As with the others...still working my way 'round to them...

I love that William Drake album, it's got a really nice gentle feel to it.
    Ian

Yeah...I gave it a quick spin after I got it, and Drake really does some cool stuff.

I love that William Drake album, it's got a really nice gentle feel to it.
    Which one? He's released 4 great solo albums.

William D. Drake (03)
    Briny Hooves (07) - my favourite
    Yews Paw (07)
    The Rising of the Lights (11)

The one I have is Rising of the Lights; it was the only one Wayside happened to have available when I went looking

Which one? He's released 4 great solo albums.

William D. Drake (03)
    Briny Hooves (07) - my favourite
    Yews Paw (07)
    The Rising of the Lights (11)
    The Rising Of The Lights.

I got it, 3 Mice and Dave Willey at about the same time and they all have a similar gentle, mellow but complex vibe going on.
    Ian

Has anyone heard Jon Poole's band called "The God Damn Whores"? I heard a couple of tracks in YouTube and they sound quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Has anyone heard Jon Poole's band called "The God Damn Whores"? I heard a couple of tracks in YouTube and they sound quite interesting.
    Yes, I've seen them live and I've got the album, "We are the lucky thirteen" Nothing even remotely close to Cardiacs. And as much as it pains me to speak ill of ex-Cardiacs members it's a pretty poor album in my opinion, I never listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I really hope the Garage Concerts are rereleased soon.
    anyone knows the different dates from which the setlist is taken?
    I know it was taken from 3 shows, Friday Saturday and Sunday,
    Saturday show was added at the last moment (if my memory still works), and ive been to the Sunday show.
    I didnt know them well enough back then to recognize the songs so now I do not know which songs on the CD are the ones I saw live...
    (And I do have the official release, no info there)

Yes, I've seen them live and I've got the album, "We are the lucky thirteen" Nothing even remotely close to Cardiacs. And as much as it pains me to speak ill of ex-Cardiacs members it's a pretty poor album in my opinion, I never listen to it.
    I see. Thanks for the feedback. Any other Cardiacs related bands that you would recommend? I am already a huge fan of Knifeworld.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    anyone knows the different dates from which the setlist is taken?
    I know it was taken from 3 shows, Friday Saturday and Sunday,
    Saturday show was added at the last moment (if my memory still works), and ive been to the Sunday show.
    I didnt know them well enough back then to recognize the songs so now I do not know which songs on the CD are the ones I saw live...
    (And I do have the official release, no info there)
    Yea, no help on the CDs. And over on The Mares Nest there's an 11 page discussion on the Albums forum about the Garage concerts & not one person asks the question. I think as Cardiacs fans we're just pleased that the 2 discs exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    I see. Thanks for the feedback. Any other Cardiacs related bands that you would recommend? I am already a huge fan of Knifeworld.
    Well of course the obvious ones with more than one Cardiac: The Sea Nymphs, Panixsphere and Spratleys Japs. Then a couple of bands Tim and Tim & Jon helped out either engineering or performing Sidi Bou Said and Sleepy People (both now defunct), Sleepy People split into Ultrasound and Blue Apple Boy. Kavus' previous band Monsoon Bassoon. Bic's early band Ring, very proggy. And Jon's earlier pronky band Ad Nauseum and Ablemesh.

Then of course Bic Hayes' Mikrokosmos
    Bob Leith's Catherine in a Cupboard
    Mark Cawthra
    William D. Drake's Lake of Puppies
    Admirals Hard
    North Sea Radio Orchestra
    Stars in Battledress
    Katherine Blake
    Miranda Sex Garden
    The Shrubbies