Page 122 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Still pretty obsessed with Guns. I just love the sound of the thing, and the fact that you can crank it UP and go....I probably have a tendency to overcrank this one, but their albums usually beg to be. Such an amazing album.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^So is this Timmy's place and studio?

If so, what Cardiacs albums were recorded there?

Also, Is this the same house as the 40th Birthday Garden Party?

Or am I way off?
    Yes.

Guns and STG (and possibly Spratleys, not sure).

Sure looks like it.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Yes.

Guns and STG (and possibly Spratleys, not sure).

Sure looks like it.

No.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Just got my tickets for Augusts shindig. I'm ing

Don't know if i already posted this. It's worth watching till the end.

I'm glad to say that I'm coming too. The other half is coming on the trip but not to the concert. We're making a weekend of it, but I think we'll both have a better time this way.

Hey, I rather like the Scaramanga Six track. I've never investigated them before: only really heard their "Home of Fadeless Splendour" on "Leader of the Starry Skies" before now. What else should I listen to?

Two things:

1) Garage Concerts is KICKING my arse and is one of my favorite live albums ever. The playing alone is ridiculous, but the energy and ideas contained in these tunes are beyond superlatives.

2) "A Balloon for Bertie's Party" is a masterpiece of composition imo. If you really dissect that tune under a microscope and start analyzing the chord structure, melodies, form, and overall originality, well, then I think you'll agree with me perhaps. SUCH a good tune. REALLY, REALLY good.

I need to dust off my copy of Garage Concerts again. Perhaps today?

The other day I was talking to my piano teacher (been taking lessons from him for about 3 years now), and I brought up Cardiacs. He hadn't heard of them, so I offered to make him a sample CD.

He's a jazz musician, but he's not a snob and he appreciates all sorts of music, so I'd be interested to hear his take on Tim Smith's writing.

Two things:

1) Garage Concerts is KICKING my arse and is one of my favorite live albums ever. The playing alone is ridiculous, but the energy and ideas contained in these tunes are beyond superlatives.

2) "A Balloon for Bertie's Party" is a masterpiece of composition imo. If you really dissect that tune under a microscope and start analyzing the chord structure, melodies, form, and overall originality, well, then I think you'll agree with me perhaps. SUCH a good tune. REALLY, REALLY good.
    'Gloomy News' - I mean holy shit... the energy and the guitars!! That little rippin' solo bit too. Damn... the twang is heavy cool too.

Two things:

Well we opened up our Wednesday Basement Session last night with CARDIACS LIVE. Love the Garage Concerts!! To think this was 80's stuff...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Two things:

'Pip as uncle Dick but Peter spoilt it' and "visisting hours' are my personal holy grails on those albums. Bertie is not far behind though. An, by all means, ESSENTIAL life album.

The Garage Concerts could be my favourite live album of all time. Most live albums you get are effectively greatest hits collections, you know all (or most) of the songs and that's why, with the odd exception I don't listen to or buy them that much. This album though is a work of genius that bears repeated listening because (i) the songs are so damn good; (ii) the playing is exceptional; (iii) it feels fresh as many of the songs haven't been heard already, over and over again. Even if you do know much of the deep back catalogue from Cardiacs, the live versions on this record are sooooo much better than the original, recorded ones ... they almost feel like new songs. Actually, there's no 'could' about it, this is definitely my favourite live album ... EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    The Garage Concerts could be my favourite live album of all time. Most live albums you get are effectively greatest hits collections, you know all (or most) of the songs and that's why, with the odd exception I don't listen to or buy them that much. This album though is a work of genius that bears repeated listening because (i) the songs are so damn good; (ii) the playing is exceptional; (iii) it feels fresh as many of the songs haven't been heard already, over and over again. Even if you do know much of the deep back catalogue from Cardiacs, the live versions on this record are sooooo much better than the original, recorded ones ... they almost feel like new songs. Actually, there's no 'could' about it, this is definitely my favourite live album ... EVER!
    Agreed 102%! You also have to take into account that this was Sir Kavus's first gigs with the lads, and he's flawless. Shows what an unbelievable musician he really is. These guitar parts are fucking HARD. It doesn't matter what skills anybody currently has out there - this stuff will take you to the limit musically speaking if you try to play as brilliantly as Tim and Kavus did on these shows. Such a gem of an album. The album is its still fairly unknown to the general prog community, even on this board. Why? Its such a fun album too - my son especially loves it in the car. Imagine another recording of this quality with later material....

Disc one again today on the commute. I'm an addict.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    'Pip as uncle Dick but Peter spoilt it' and
    Yep!

Agreed 102%! You also have to take into account that this was Sir Kavus's first gigs with the lads, and he's flawless. Shows what an unbelievable musician he really is. These guitar parts are fucking HARD. It doesn't matter what skills anybody currently has out there - this stuff will take you to the limit musically speaking if you try to play as brilliantly as Tim and Kavus did on these shows. Such a gem of an album. The album is its still fairly unknown to the general prog community, even on this board. Why? Its such a fun album too - my son especially loves it in the car. Imagine another recording of this quality with later material....

Disc one again today on the commute. I'm an addict.
    It's also VERY difficult to get bored of. The songs, as with much of Tim's ouevre, are interesting and structured in a non-traditional way. So, new versions, weird and fascinating song structures and lots and lots of songs ultimately mean that this is endlessly listenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    It's also VERY difficult to get bored of. The songs, as with much of Tim's ouevre, are interesting and structured in a non-traditional way. So, new versions, weird and fascinating song structures and lots and lots of songs ultimately mean that this is endlessly listenable.
    so true.

I love the reverb Tim uses on his voice at the very end on the word "more" in "....Then claimed he did some more". So perfect and beautiful. Those little details he uses all over the fucking place, and there is a TON of shit going on in this tune alone.

Oh shit, the song is "Duck/Roger". Yeah.

The raw energy is off the charts - raging and spitting awesomeness in all directions. A well oiled machine at peak performance for sure!

'Songs for Ships and Irons' might be my favorite on every 73rd day, which sometimes is a Tuesday.

'Songs for Ships and Irons' might be my favorite on every 73rd day, which sometimes is a Tuesday.
    I held to that one being my favorite for a long time - but 'On Land and In The Sea' eventually overtook it. Only a matter of time - or listens - haha. 'The Everso Closely Guarded Line' - I do believe that might be my favorite tune ever... I never say such things but I think I really mean it - it has it all... a one stop shop for everything. The rising action is palpable and thick too. Glorious chords - GLORIOUS!

As live albums go - The Special Garage Concerts is a totally badass mother - sound - energy - performance is tighter than a gnat's bunghole - just simply amazing. Ok... had to say that.

^yep.

Hey, I rather like the Scaramanga Six track. I've never investigated them before: only really heard their "Home of Fadeless Splendour" on "Leader of the Starry Skies" before now. What else should I listen to?
    Like that track as well. Will have to check those guys OWT

I am new to the Cardiacs (I'm trying dammit, I am!) and there are 50.000 posts above me, so if anyone could help me if this hasn't been mentioned: doesn't "The Everso Closely Guarded Line" include a crystal-clear reference to the closing of Gentle Giant's LP "Three Friends"? I mean the end part at around the 6th min with the organ and the electric guitar. Or am I hallucinating?