Page 118 of 185 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

It's worth noting that I still haven't picked up any William D. Drake CDs, despite promising to do so, and despite being a major Cardiacs & related fan. For this transgression, I will allow myself to be publicly horsewhipped.
    I think all of Bill's albums are great and worth cherishing. His first is, I think, the most Sea Nymphs-ish as it features not only Bill's wonderful tunes, but also Tim's distinctive production style (as well as singing and playing). I listened to it this week and realised that it has grown on me a lot over the years.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like the two most recent ones he's done the best.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like the two most recent ones he's done the best.
    +1
    Revere Reach especially is damn near perfect. What a songwriter...

What do you know? I've just been watching Part One of BBC2's "Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets of Orkney" and, three quarters of an hour in, they were doing an experiment with quarrying and moving a standing stone, and one of the people taking part, and in fact making suggestions about how to move it, was wearijng a Cardiacs shirt! The black and white "Little Man and A House" one. I took the very same shirt with me on my own visti to the islands in 2015. Didn't move any standing stones, though.

It wasn't anyone here, by the way, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by spacewaltzer View Post
    What do you know? I've just been watching Part One of BBC2's "Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets of Orkney" and, three quarters of an hour in, they were doing an experiment with quarrying and moving a standing stone, and one of the people taking part, and in fact making suggestions about how to move it, was wearijng a Cardiacs shirt! The black and white "Little Man and A House" one. I took the very same shirt with me on my own visti to the islands in 2015. Didn't move any standing stones, though.

It wasn't anyone here, by the way, was it?
    I've seen the Pondies on FB have been inquiring a bit about that too. Damn cool seeing that representation on such a posh segment of television!

Over the Xmas break, i found and bought Dark Star - Twenty Twenty Sound, Bic Haye's 90s psych-rock band. What a find! I've been looking for it for ages. Bic's guitar sound here is far more like his work in Levitation rather than Cardiacs, but there are some similarities in terms of overall sound with Sing to God era Cardiacs (although i wouldn't say they're strikingly similar). It really hits that alt-rock/psych vein and boy, what a guitarist! His work with Cardiacs was great but he's really to the fore in this three piece and despite "looking like a little girl", kicks up a hell of a racket. Worth searching out if you like this kind of thing.

I just got my first 2 Knifeworld CDs (thanks to this thread, I already bought all the Cardiacs / Spratleys / Mr&Mrs / Sea Nymphs). They are excellent and I'm already hunting down the last two (Buried Alone and the most recent).

I'm trying to figure out the right amount of Kavus praise so that we can become BFF but without sounding like a stalker.

Kavus, you are amazing.

So it's Spratley's Japs, Knifeworld, Guapo & Admirals Hard this weekend. I'm flying in on Saturday morning and out on Monday. Anyone know decent pubs in the area around The Lexington & The Islington?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So it's Spratley's Japs, Knifeworld, Guapo & Admirals Hard this weekend. I'm flying in on Saturday morning and out on Monday. Anyone know decent pubs in the area around The Lexington & The Islington?
    The area around Angel/Islington is littered with decent boozers so you've not going to have much trouble finding one around there. Where in London are you staying, i may be able to suggest some ... or is Islington going to be your base?

The Lexington is a terrific bar with good food itself. The venue is upstairs.
    For anyone going Guapo will be on stage at 8pm as both us and Spratleys are doing headline sets.

Not sure on stagetimes for the previous night. Knifeworld (acoustic) on first. Probably 8:45ish.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I just got my first 2 Knifeworld CDs (thanks to this thread, I already bought all the Cardiacs / Spratleys / Mr&Mrs / Sea Nymphs). They are excellent and I'm already hunting down the last two (Buried Alone and the most recent).

I'm trying to figure out the right amount of Kavus praise so that we can become BFF but without sounding like a stalker.

Kavus, you are amazing.
    Thank you most kindly!
    This means a lot!
    All four CDs and three LPs are available from knifeworld.co.uk

Stalking! Cool... forgot that is a real possibility now that I'm literally going to the shows this weekend. What kind of clown outfit works for you Kavus? I can do a solid old school 70s Chicago Bozo for your tortured evening around 3am

I'm staying at the Double Tree in Islington which is looks like its about 500 feet from The Lexington venue. I'm getting there around noon on Saturday.
    Ian

I'm staying at the Double Tree in Islington which is looks like its about 500 feet from The Lexington venue. I'm getting there around noon on Saturday.
    You're pretty much slap-bang in the middle of a host of bars, pubs and restaurants there. As Kavus said, The Lexington itself if a fine place for a drink. The area around Angel Underground Station and the bottom of Upper Street is a bit generic with chain pubs but if you go further along Upper Street there's some decent pubs for you. You'll not be short of places for a swift one ... although i think you'll probably be too busy to indulge properly. Have a good flight!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Stalking! Cool... forgot that is a real possibility now that I'm literally going to the shows this weekend. What kind of clown outfit works for you Kavus? I can do a solid old school 70s Chicago Bozo for your tortured evening around 3am
    Either works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Thank you most kindly!
    This means a lot!
    All four CDs and three LPs are available from knifeworld.co.uk
    Ordered. Wrap it carefully and send it with all your love.

Wishing all those flying to the UK, for what's looking like an awesome weekend of gigs, safe flights and a great time!!!

Have a blast you lucky bastards.

Woo woo
    Ian

Woo woo
    See you UK side soon!

Is their shop down? I attempted to check out this new Sea Nymphs, but it is asking me for a password.

Yeah the shop is down untill februari 1 . Mary posted on FB that she had important stuff to work on for ABC and she had to close the shop temporarily.

Hopefully we'll find out at least a day or two before what the fuck this means. How do they possibly expect us to wait that long? That's like telling a child "Mommy and daddy have amazing news!! We're going to Disney World 4 years and 11 months from today!! Aren't you excited!!??"

Nice date for a Cardiacs affectionate friends & family festival. I might even be able to make it!