Page 113 of 185 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Jon and Bobby Leafy's band pre-Cardiacs. That's Bob on vocals.

I think they only released a couple of demo tapes in the early 90's. I have them on cdrs somewhere, but never particularly cared for them (that song's good though). Tim obviously did.

Did some googling and found this great quote from Jon (from here)
    LMAO. That's friggin hilarious.

He replied, “No, I’m gonna get dragged up the M1 by my fucking teeth, you stupid cunt.”
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Jefferson James
    Been listening to the "Sing to God" and "A Little Man..." albums a lot lately and really warming to the magic of Tim Smith and Cardiacs. Decided to check out something live and watched "Cardiacs at Salisbury Arts Centre 30th June 1990" and had my face punched. What an absolutely astounding performance by an incredible ensemble.

The live version of "R.E.S." from the aforementioned performance is what clinched it. The instrumental bridge is on a Keith Emerson level to me. Wow, is that ever some cool, cool shit. Fucking outright audacious. What an imagination! Then to close it with that chorus? Ultra-great, top shelf, high octane stuff.

I'm excited to now have Cardiacs with me on my journey, I really haven't heard a single song I haven't been delighted with.

As for "Buds and Spawn", I heard it for the first time just now and I love it. Need to hear that album but I am still finding new things on "Sing to God" which I have heard maybe 8, 9 times now. It's going to take awhile to dig thru the discog with so many great songs with so many incredible moments within.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Been listening to the "Sing to God" and "A Little Man..." albums a lot lately and really warming to the magic of Tim Smith and Cardiacs. Decided to check out something live and watched "Cardiacs at Salisbury Arts Centre 30th June 1990" and had my face punched. What an absolutely astounding performance by an incredible ensemble.

The live version of "R.E.S." from the aforementioned performance is what clinched it. The instrumental bridge is on a Keith Emerson level to me. Wow, is that ever some cool, cool shit. Fucking outright audacious. What an imagination! Then to close it with that chorus? Ultra-great, top shelf, high octane stuff.

I'm excited to now have Cardiacs with me on my journey, I really haven't heard a single song I haven't been delighted with.

As for "Buds and Spawn", I heard it for the first time just now and I love it. Need to hear that album but I am still finding new things on "Sing to God" which I have heard maybe 8, 9 times now. It's going to take awhile to dig thru the discog with so many great songs with so many incredible moments within.
    One of us... One of us... One of us. Happy to hear you have been indoctrinated. Innit fantastic?!!!

Nice, man! Welcome aboard this crazy Cardiacs train, Kerry!

Jefferson James
    Gratified to be aboard; I think what kept me from Cardiacs initially is just the sheer amount of music to listen to (overwhelming) and then taking time to warm-up to the Cardiacs "punk" approach, getting through those killer pop-punk songs to find the weird-ass instrumental stuff. Tim Smith is a fucking great guitarist on top of it all! Is that his solo on "Fiery Gun Hand"? Woah, that's so, so cool whoever played it.

Cardiacs are going to keep me busy for a long time, I suspect.

"That's the way we all go."

Gratified to be aboard; I think what kept me from Cardiacs initially is just the sheer amount of music to listen to (overwhelming) and then taking time to warm-up to the Cardiacs "punk" approach, getting through those killer pop-punk songs to find the weird-ass instrumental stuff. Tim Smith is a fucking great guitarist on top of it all! Is that his solo on "Fiery Gun Hand"? Woah, that's so, so cool whoever played it.

YES! Another in the loony bin! Welcome home, friend…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

http://i.imgur.com/79uhGs9.jpg

From new Uncut, graciously scanned by a Cardiacs Facebook group member.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by thehard View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/79uhGs9.jpg

From new Uncut, graciously scanned by a Cardiacs Facebook group member.
    Love it! But I can't see the final vote! (not that it's really important)

8/10 apparently.

There's quite a lot about 'that' solo on this thread. I may get corrected by someone more knowledgeable than myself, but it's a Jon Poole solo, edited together from multiple takes (20+ if my memory serves me correct). It sounds pretty damn seamless doesn't it?

^ That's pretty much it. I don't think it was anywhere near 20 takes, though.
    I remember while they were making Sing To God, running into Simon, one of our guitar geek pals, who said that Tim had phoned, asking how to get the Eddie Van Halen sound so we knew something interesting was cooking.
    I don't think we were expecting that, though!
    Stitching guitar solos together out of multiple takes is pretty standard practice on rock records but I can't think of an instance where someone has done it to this nth before.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 10-26-2016 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    ^ That's pretty much it. I don't think it was anywhere near 20 takes, though. Tim rang up Simon, one of our guitar geek pals, when they were recording it, asking how to get the Eddie Van Halen sound. So we knew something was cooking.
    Stitching guitar solos together out of multiple takes is pretty standard practice on rock records but I can't think of an instance where someone has done it to this nth before.
    I'd always wondered why it was meant to be so many takes ... i've listened to it closely and thought it seemed excessive. It's a brilliant job whatever though, although i'm curious as to why it was done, as both you and Jon were able to play it live in one go.

It was to create that crazy solo. No one could have come up with that. Tim just had Jon improvise a load of solos and built it out of the best bits of them.

It was to create that crazy solo. No one could have come up with that. Tim just had Jon improvise a load of solos and built it out of the best bits of them.
    Well it works brilliantly...it's still one of my favourite Cardiacs songs and must have been great fun (not to say more than a bit complex) to play.

Frank Zappa?

Edit: I realise that this isn't a specific example, so you're probably right.

I was waiting for Tim to get into Vocoders.

Yeah it is an excellent trick. Reminds me a lot of this song, which composes its main riff that way (you can hear it in the first 5 seconds). Can't think of anyone else who does that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_QBKOSWGis
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Jefferson James
    I have no issues comping multiple takes to create a cool solo, break, whatever; thanks for the info Kavus, I am off on a quest to check out more recent live Cardiacs stuff.

I thought it might have been Tim 'cause I thought Tim's (I'm guessing pretty-much-composed) solo near the end of "R.E.S." gave me chills.

Great music!

I have no issues comping multiple takes to create a cool solo, break, whatever; thanks for the info Kavus, I am off on a quest to check out more recent live Cardiacs stuff.

I thought it might have been Tim 'cause I thought Tim's (I'm guessing pretty-much-composed) solo near the end of "R.E.S." gave me chills.

Great music!
    Garage Concerts for me is fantastic... there is a difference with the quartet but its more visceral and heavy - and you get old songs made beastly. I love it.

Great music!
    Check this out Kerry ... a live version on a late night BBC show from the 90s. Jon Poole does the solo whilst Tim is quite happy to step back and just let him do it. I say 'step back and just let him do it', but he's playing that complex rhythm guitar, but with a nonchalance that's really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqAJcBh3sEQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    ...a live version on a late night BBC show from the 90s.
    a really great version of a really great song.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    One of those great songs that sounds like little else ... OK, apart from the liberal use of the XTC riff ... but the song itself has a great claim to be wholly unique, i can't think of another song by anyone that sounds remotely like it - which is the genius of Cardiacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Signs from that same session is damn great too.

I'm entirely obsessed with "All His Geese are Swans" - to me it stands out in the Cardiacs catalog for the rare minimalist approach AND the rare instrumental. I always picture this really 'proper' music going on in the keys, while there's old Tim playing these big punky chords and thumbing his nose like a schoolboy. The ending where he plays that tortured solo is one of my favorite musical moments EVER.

Did they ever do it live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did it at the 2006 show i saw. I think they also did it a few times 'back in the day', but not often at all. I've got a recording from the London Town and Country Club in 1988.