Page 106 of 185 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Man, that's awesome! Who is the cidery behind it?
    A cidery? The Alphabet Business Concern merely bottled Jim’s piss for our wining and dining pleasure.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

After re-listening to the radio sessions and crying my eyes out with laughter at the interview bits, I think Cardiacs could have pulled off an original radio show.

Yea, a radio prog called, "Albuls and Cheshire Cat Grins" :-)

stone cold fact
    We needed some work done at our house and the person we hired, who had the best portfolio of work and recommendations is "Tim Smith Pavers"

untruthful embellishment
    The work is great but I can't stand how he just screams constantly at his workmen. I'm a little afraid of him.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    stone cold fact
    We needed some work done at our house and the person we hired, who had the best portfolio of work and recommendations is "Tim Smith Pavers"

untruthful embellishment
    The work is great but I can't stand how he just screams constantly at his workmen. I'm a little afraid of him.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    stone cold fact

untruthful embellishment
    One isn't called Jim is he?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    One isn't called Jim is he?
    Does he scream that loudly that you heard?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Does he scream that loudly that you heard?
    "Shut up. SHUT UP!! I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF THINK!!"

stone cold fact
    You can't spell "intimidation" without TIM. Someone’s gotta keep the underlings in check.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    You can't spell "intimidation" without TIM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    What can I tell you? I love it all, and I can say that shamelessly because I wasn't on much of it.

Gun to my head? On Land And In The Sea but Tim is a visionary, man. every, every, EVERYTHING he wrote is extraordinary.

...glad you're enjoying Knifeworld by the way.
    x
    I somehow managed to miss the brilliance that is the Cardiacs for over 20 years of full time searching in every corner of progressive rock, psychedelic craziness, sub genres of sub genres, etc....but when I found them, they hit me like nothing else ever has. I never in a billion years thought that, if asked to name my ONE favorite band ever, PERIOD, I would even have been able to narrow it down to my top ten. Then the Cardiacs happened to me. I love composers who have such a unique compositional style that you can tell within a few measures who it is. There are a handful of folks out there like that, but there is only one Tim Smith. Analyzing his chord progressions, harmonic language, and extreme rhythmic complexity, I continue to be blown away. Sing To God, On Land and In the Sea were my entry point, but the Cardiacs are unique in that there are precisely ZERO bad tunes. Or even so-so tunes. I love everything on every album. A couple albums took a bit more time to grow on me than others, but when they did....dear god. I CAN now answer the question of who my number one all time favorite band is. Cardiacs for life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Shade View Post
    I somehow managed to miss the brilliance that is the Cardiacs for over 20 years of full time searching in every corner of progressive rock, psychedelic craziness, sub genres of sub genres, etc....but when I found them, they hit me like nothing else ever has. I never in a billion years thought that, if asked to name my ONE favorite band ever, PERIOD, I would even have been able to narrow it down to my top ten. Then the Cardiacs happened to me. I love composers who have such a unique compositional style that you can tell within a few measures who it is. There are a handful of folks out there like that, but there is only one Tim Smith. Analyzing his chord progressions, harmonic language, and extreme rhythmic complexity, I continue to be blown away. Sing To God, On Land and In the Sea were my entry point, but the Cardiacs are unique in that there are precisely ZERO bad tunes. Or even so-so tunes. I love everything on every album. A couple albums took a bit more time to grow on me than others, but when they did....dear god. I CAN now answer the question of who my number one all time favorite band is. Cardiacs for life!!!!!
    Welcome to the club of the enlightened sir. That story is the same for very many of us. My epiphany was 1988, and from that day forward my music listening and music tastes were changed forever. I'd suddenly been introduced to something I'd been looking for for decades, but didn't even know I'd been looking for it, didn't know what it was or what it was called, but when my friend played me parts of Toy World, including Nurses Whispering Verses, followed by OLAITS I knew I'd found it, and now I also knew its name Cardiacs!

I CAN now answer the question of who my number one all time favorite band is. Cardiacs for life!!!!!
    John, not sure if you have discovered Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake yet, but for me it is Cardiacs at their most sublime, most pastoral and most English. Every track on it is a beautiful emotional stab of recognition in the heart, recognition of an older England:

Last edited by PeterG; 07-20-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Cheers mate. The exactly same thing happened to me, and I would say a bunch of other folks here and elsewhere too. Enjoy the ride!

Not so long ago I was giving more-or-less the exact same account. See you at the next benefit

Just love, love, love this band. That middle section of RES is one of the few true moments of perfection in modern pop music. Who else writes like that? And it just keeps getting better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was out walking in the mountains yesterday and played this several times. Supremely beautiful and affecting when looking at rocks and clouds and mist. I love when Tim does repetition.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Was out walking in the mountains yesterday and played this several times. Supremely beautiful and affecting when looking at rocks and clouds and mist. I love when Tim does repetition.
    Baffling piece of music. Cyclical yet not. Musical penrose triangle, innit.

"Cabinet" is a gorgeous track, a mainstay in my ever-changing playlists.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Whole World Window Benefit show for Timmy turned out so great. Greg Braysford and Co. really put on a cool show - wish I could have been there to see it! Anyway - the videos and pictures show a very fun looking event. Which leads to Timmy... and the money raised for him from what I hear was damn good. In the thousands of pounds. Yay!

Welcome back, bro! This guy was one of the first 200 members back in 1999! He fried my brain with some amazing music I never heard and I was glad to reciprocate!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Welcome back, bro! This guy was one of the first 200 members back in 1999! He fried my brain with some amazing music I never heard and I was glad to reciprocate!
    Well howdy John! Nice to meet another maniac Cardiacs fan. I guess there is no other kind eh? lol

This has no doubt already been posted on FB, but for those that maybe aren't aware, last night Steve Davis did a Tim and friends special on his radio show.

Even though i've heard these songs hundreds of times it was awesome having a drink and hearing this come out of the radio. Not a bad selection at all!

Just seen the tags
    This upload features tracks from WIlliam D Drake, Curdiacs, Cadiacs, Cerdiacs, Cardiacts and more.

There's also KW, SiB, Monsoon Bassoon etc and a new NSRO tune that sounds suspiciously like a Robert Wyatt cover (because it is. The track title must be wrong).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Saw The Sea Nymphs - 2nd listed in the Coming Soon section of the Wayside mailer this week!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Saw The Sea Nymphs - 2nd listed in the Coming Soon section of the Wayside mailer this week!!
    YEE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk