Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoping to read some in depth Progtober Festival reviews!

Hoping to read some in depth Progtober Festival reviews!

I was unable to attend. I would like to hear some reports

thank you.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 10-24-2016 at 08:57 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

THIS^^^
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My sister and I attended 2 days of Progtoberfest over the weekend at Reggie’s Rock Club / Music Joint in Chicago over the weekend. Here is a brief review of a fantastic two days of music.

FRIDAY:

Friday afternoon we headed for the 2 hour drive to Chi town from Kalamazoo with a quick stop for a brew and bite to eat at Shoreline Brewing in Michigan City Indiana. Our original plan was to stop at Greenbush Brewing in Sawyer, but we could not even find a place to park so decided to move on down the highway a bit.

By the time we got to the club Zip Tang was on stage in The Music Joint so we caught the tail end of their set, and they were enjoyable.

District 97: Next I had planned to go over to the Rock Club and catch the first part of Mano’s set, but I really wanted to see District 97, and had actually found a place to sit at the bar so decided to stay put (The Music Joint was packed by this point). District 97 came on and did a great set. Leslie Hunt is an incredible front woman and the band were their usual solid self. This was the first time I have seen the most recent lineup, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

PMQ playing Return To Forever: I watched the beginning of this set, and it was enjoyable.

Keith Emerson Tribute: I then moved over to the rock club for the Keith Emerson tribute. The band started out with a full version of “Tarkus” which was fun, then invited various special guests up on stage for more ELP classics. It seemed like Mike Keneally played with just about everyone over the weekend, and he did a great job here. To be honest though, I was getting a bit weary of the tribute thing after a while so decided to head back over to the Music Joint for some more original music.

Galactic Cowboy Orchestra: I had seen these guys at ProgDay a few years ago and really enjoyed them, and they were once again smoking in Chicago. The majority of the crowd was over in the ELP tribute room son GOC played to a small number of people, but I really dug it. I wish these guys would come closer to my neck of the woods one of these days.

Brand X: To be honest, I never really got into these guys back in the day, so was kind of lukewarm going into it, but damn, these guys kicked my ass and took no prisoners. A fantastic set by all involved. If this tour comes to your town go see them, it was exceptional, and a fantastic way to close Friday night.

SATURDAY:

Sonus Umbra: We got to the club bright and early at 1:00PM to catch Sonus, and they made it worthwhile. I honestly think this band improves every time I see them, and I think think this is the strongest lineup they have ever had. A great way to start the day, and they seemed to have a nice crowd that got there early. The duel Male / Female vocals really set these guys apart. Brittany Moffitt has an incredible set of pipes and Roey’s voice seemed to be in better shape than when I had seen them at ROSfest last. Instrumentally there were a few minor glitches here and there, but overall really solid. All around a great set, just a little too short!

Pavlov 3: We had not eaten anything yet, so got some grub after Sonus and sat out on the patio for a bit. I came back in and caught the end of Pavlov3’s set, in the Music Joint which I enjoyed.

Infinite Spectrum: Back in the rock club these guys had already started. I had never heard of them before, but ended up staying for the whole set. They were very loud and definitely on the heavier end of the prog spectrum, with bombastic lyrics, and singing……in other words right up my alley. They played to a small crowd, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Metaphonia: For something completely different, I went back over to The Music Joint with these guys already playing, and they turned out to be one of the big surprises of the festival. These guys are a young band from North Carolina who play kind of a jam band, jazz, rock hybrid with horns. Really fun stuff, and a great set. More and more people kept shuffling into the room as the set went on until by the end it was pretty full. They got a standing ovation.

Edensong: Back over to the Rock Club for some of Edensong’s set which was very good. I only caught a few songs due to wanting to be back on the other side for Necromonkey.

Necromonkey: We managed to secure a table right on the side corner of the stage which was the perfect vantage point for these guys. I can’t describe the music they do, but what they do is mesmerizing. The amount of sound that comes out of just these two guys, and the way they play off of each other is almost hypnotizing to watch. The icing on the cake was having Mike Keneally sit in on the last song. Amazing stuff!

IZZ: Back to the Rock Club and IZZ was just starting. I am not sure why, but for some reason their sound mix seemed kind of messed up, and it never got much better. They put on an enjoyable show, with a nice selection from their career, but the bad mix took away a bit from it.

Circuline: I got caught up talking with some old friends and getting a bite to eat, so these guys were playing in the background, but I was not really concentrating on them. What I heard was good.

The Fringe: Back to the rock club for the first half of The Fringe’s set. They were very good as I expected them to be and performed a mix of Fringe material and stuff from the individual members bands. I really wanted to catch Rikard Sjoblom, so went back to the Music Joint about half way through. This one was a tough choice with both bands overlapping as I really would have liked to have stayed for the whole Fringe set, but I knew my chances of getting table in the other room would be slim once it let out, so I made the move.

Rikard Sjoblom / Gungfly: The show was billed as Rikard solo, but was actually one of his side project’s Gungfly. I am a huge Beardfish fan and also really like his solo album so was looking forward to this and certainly not disappointed. I think Rikard is a tremendous talent that should be playing big theaters instead of small clubs, but the music biz ain’t fair I guess. Although he did not play any Beardfish material he covered several Gungfly songs and tracks from his solo album, plus several new songs from the band’s next release. When finished the crowd would not let them leave, and since he was the last band on the schedule for the music joint he was allowed an extended set which went on for another half hour. A blast for sure.

Mike Keneally & Beer For Dolphins: Keneally was well into his set by the time I made it back over to the Rock Club, but I saw the last half of it and Mike was amazing as usual playing incredible guitar and keyboards (sometimes at the same time). Nick D’virgillio came on for a couple of tunes including the rarely played “Panda”. All in all it was another great set from Mike and the boys.

The Security Project: Jerry Moratta and Trey Gunn’s tribute project to Peter Gabriel. I can’t say that this blew me away, but it was enjoyable hearing re-interpretations of Gabriel’s early work. They seemed to be having a few glitches at times and hearing Gabriel’s stuff sung by a woman was certainly different, but it was a cool way to end the night. By the end the crowd had thinned out considerably. The band encored with “Lamb Lies Down On Broadway” and “Back In New York City” which the remaining crowd ate up.

Overall, the whole thing was a lot of fun, although 13 plus hours of prog in a club environment was a bit of an endurance test. My knees still hurt! It was also great seeing a lot of prog regulars from both Chicago and around the country. This community is kind of like a family of sorts and it was great catching up with a lot of familiar faces. Hats off to Kevin Pollock and the Reggie’s staff for pulling this all off! He just announced this morning that there will be a Progtoberfest III next year.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 10-24-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Keith Emerson Tribute: I then moved over to the rock club for the Keith Emerson tribute. The band started out with a full version of “Tarkus” which was fun, then invited various special guests up on stage for more ELP classics. It seemed like Mike Keneally played with just about everyone over the weekend, and he did a great job here. To be honest though, I was getting a bit weary of the tribute thing after a while so decided to head back over to the Music Joint for some more original music.
    It was nice meeting you Steve! Sorry we didn't get more time to talk. Well, to recap the end of the set of the Emerson Tribute, was for me, a highlight of the event. Mike Keneally really pulled out some deep cuts from "The Nice" that had me flipping through my head to recall even what they were. His keyboard playing was amaze-balls, and in some aspects, better than (the already amazing) Brain Harris because Mike has more of an aggressive feel to his playing, that is reminiscent of Keith's. But top that as Mike switches from keyboards to guitar for a fiery conclusion of TRILOGY with dueling guitar and keyboard leads with Harris... man, that was the shit!! I am very glad I made it out Friday evening to catch this.

One great highlight of District 97's set was a stellar cover of "UK's "In The Dead Of Night", which was in preparation for "Cruise To The Edge" when they will once again be John Wetton's backing band. I also was seeing D97 for the first time with the new line-up. I actually did not think they were as clean/tight sounding as the original line-up, maybe it was the sound mix though, or the 6 string bass. Though, Andrew the keyboard player brought a lot to the table and isn't shy about adding his own flavor into the mix. Loved what he was doing and I am really looking forward to what he brings on new material.

I'll also add the place was well attended, especially Friday evening. The prog-lovin' crowd is always the best, enjoyed meeting some friends, and making some new ones... I look forward to next year's party as well. I wish I could have seen a few more bands Saturday, but I had a limited time I could stay. I enjoyed IZZ even though the sound mix was off for a good amount of the set. I'm thrilled they were able to come to Chicago to begin with, and the audience certainly razzed John about when they would return again. "After The Cubs win the World Series," he said!

I was only there Friday, but had a great time.

D97 was excellent as always, and ItDoN was a nice surprise. I've seen the old lineup a couple of times, and the new one 2 or 3 now. I definitely prefer this new lineup. Bass player Tim brings a lot of energy to the stage, and the keyboardist is a big improvement.

The Emerson tribute was fun. I felt like a kid again listening to them doing Tarkus. I was actually standing right by Steve Sly's sister and the guy she was with (tall, cap, white hair/mustache). Chatted briefly, nice folks. Someone in the crowd sarcastically shouted "Black Moon!" which was pretty funny. Keneally is ridiculously talented, but as mentioned, their own keyboardist is a monster in his own right. I bailed before the end to see some GCO.

Galactic Cowboy Orchestra - I enjoyed what I caught. The lead singer/violinist had some pretty good fiddle skills. And this makes TWO pregnant prog singers I've seen on that stage this past year or so. LOL! (Leslie from D97 being the first)

And so, to Brand X... It's been a long time since I've seen any configuration of this band, so it was really great to hear Percy Jones again. Like Tarkus, these guys made me feel like a teenager. Magic sound that is uniquely Brand X. It was odd seeing Goodsall playing a Gretsch, but the Strat did come out at some point. They seemed to be having a good time, and so was I.

Overall, very happy that I went. Will definitely go again next year, and with any luck will be playing there as well.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Circuline: I got caught up talking with some old friends and getting a bite to eat, so these guys were playing in the background, but I was not really concentrating on them. What I heard was good.
    Can you imagine if a band member was reading this whole thing then got to that line? LOL.

Overall, the whole thing was a lot of fun, although 13 plus hours of prog in a club environment was a bit of an endurance test. My knees still hurt!

I can imagine-I feel like I just finished watching a tennis game with all the back and forth. I still don't quite get the whole Music Joint/Rock Club thing, but it sounds kind of stressful, and like a lot of standing if it was mostly standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Andrew the keyboard player brought a lot to the table and isn't shy about adding his own flavor into the mix. Loved what he was doing and I am really looking forward to what he brings on new material.

I'll also add the place was well attended, especially Friday evening. The prog-lovin' crowd is always the best, enjoyed meeting some friends, and making some new ones... I look forward to next year's party as well. I wish I could have seen a few more bands Saturday, but I had a limited time I could stay. I enjoyed IZZ even though the sound mix was off for a good amount of the set. I'm thrilled they were able to come to Chicago to begin with, and the audience certainly razzed John about when they would return again. "After The Cubs win the World Series," he said!
    I agree about the D-97 keyboard player. I was sitting quite far back so could not tell what kind of keyboard he had on the top of his rig, but he was doing some very interesting things with it. Definitely brought a new dimension to their sound.

It seemed to me like their were quite a few more people there on Friday night than there were on Saturday, but that is just a guess. Competing against the Cubs game probably put a dent in the Saturday crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I was only there Friday, but had a great time.

D97 was excellent as always, and ItDoN was a nice surprise. I've seen the old lineup a couple of times, and the new one 2 or 3 now. I definitely prefer this new lineup. Bass player Tim brings a lot of energy to the stage, and the keyboardist is a big improvement.

The Emerson tribute was fun. I felt like a kid again listening to them doing Tarkus. I was actually standing right by Steve Sly's sister and the guy she was with (tall, cap, white hair/mustache). Chatted briefly, nice folks.
    That would be Jeff Worman who is also from Michigan and a member here.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can you imagine if a band member was reading this whole thing then got to that line? LOL.

Unfortunately that is one of the problems of writing a review on a public forum like this, and why a lot of people don’t do it. I certainly meant no disrespect to the band, but I was in the back of the club talking with some old friends that I had not seen in a long time, and really did not concentrate on what the band were doing until right towards the end of the set, so I don’t really think I can write anything objective. I did make the effort to catch the last few songs of the set and enjoyed what I heard.

I can imagine-I feel like I just finished watching a tennis game with all the back and forth. I still don't quite get the whole Music Joint/Rock Club thing, but it sounds kind of stressful, and like a lot of standing if it was mostly standing.
    They are two separate venues in the same building. Literally a 10 second walk from each other. The Music Joint has seating (tables), the rock club was a mix of standing and seated (you could purchase a reserved seat for a higher price). There is also an outdoor deck / restaurant / bar on the top with seating and an outdoor patio area on the street level with seating, so overall it was kind of a mix.

Unfortunately that is one of the problems of writing a review on a public forum like this, and why a lot of people don’t do it. I certainly meant no disrespect to the band, but I was in the back of the club talking with some old friends that I had not seen in a long time, and really did not concentrate on what the band were doing until right towards the end of the set, so I don’t really think I can write anything objective. I did make the effort to catch the last few songs of the set and enjoyed what I heard.
    One other aspect of this is that at Progtoberfest, once the music starts there is no break. There is always someone playing in one venue or the other, so if you want to take the time to eat or socialize at all you almost have to do it during a performance time.

Hoping to read some in depth Progtober Festival reviews!

I'm their new bass player.

I'm not bothered by it at all. It's a festival with things going on in both rooms. Great music, food, drink, and friends.

I was back and forth and outside and taking it all in!! The fact that even during all this someone caught some of our set (even out of the corner of their eye) and enjoyed what they heard is a good thing!!

Hope you'll get the chance to see a CIRCULINE show in the future!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by enoesque; 10-25-2016 at 01:45 PM.

I was absolutely blown away by Brand X. Kenwood Dennard is a fantastic drummer, with such expert touch. Hearing him stick around the kit was the highlight of the night. John Goodsall was in excellent shape as well, and his on-stage humor made the set that much more enjoyable, he's the perfect foil for Percy Jones. New guys were great in particular the keyboardist had fantastic command of his tones.

District 97 were excellent as always, I don't think many outside the band and their families haves seen them more than I. The keyboardist Andrew seems to be integrating well, his style is starting to really make itself heard.

ELP Tribute thing? I posted elsewhere, but they really looked like they had a great time doing it, so good for them.

Curious of what people thought of Happy Rhodes with the Security Project?

Wonder whatever happened to Robin Lumely? Heard he was back in the UK...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    District 97 were excellent as always, I don't think many outside the band and their families haves seen them more than I.
    I have lost track, but I can recall at least 8 times I have seen them already, plus one Leslie solo show where D97 was her band and they covered a tune as well.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-26-2016 at 02:36 PM.

That would be Jeff Worman who is also from Michigan and a member here.

This was so much fun! I do feel there's a downside to the dual stages, in that it forces you to choose to skip acts almost entirely (the two stages' start times were staggered a bit), or treat the whole thing as a musical Whitman's Sampler. For the most part, I chose the latter. On the flip side, the weather allowed for an open air setup so you could hear the Music Joint acts from the outside on Saturday and Sunday (alleviating the cumulative wear on the old eardrums). All the bands were in fine form throughout, so nothing negative to report on that front.

The first band I caught on Friday was D97. They are a personal favorite and never fail to impress. I told Jonathan that they seem very confident and at ease on stage...there's a playfulness to the performance that belies the complexity of the material. A (still quite young) band at the top of their game.

ELP tribute was very impressive...a good mix of ELP faves and some seriously unexpected surprises. I imagine some of the setlist was in deference to what Carl Palmer was playing on Sunday, the band being respectful of their setlist.

What I caught of PMQ was impressive, but I didn't stay for long. I missed Galatic Cowboy Orchestra, but really wish I had been able to catch their set. It sounds like something I would have enjoyed immensely.

Brand X was fiery, and I love the interplay of percussion and kit (surprise!), so the one-two punch of Scott Weinberger and Kenwood Dennard was a thing of beauty. Kenwood makes a fine cheerleader for the band, too! I wish he had space for a bigger kit, but there was a lot of percussion on that stage.

I agree with Steve about Sonus Umbra - they get better and better, and this was a really solid gig for them (although they weren't the only band with male/female vocal interplay ).

I missed Pavlov 3 and Infinite Spectrum. We were doing a lot of "band" stuff (the meet and greet, talking with the stage manager, pre-setting our gear), so the timing was a bit out of whack for us. I got to catch a lot of Edensong's set, as they preceded us, and unfortunately only caught Necromonkey through the ceiling of the green room. They sounded very on-point, and I adore that band...bummer that the timing didn't work out. Edensong's new material is fiery and very complex. I will be digesting it on disc over the next few weeks and months, to be sure. The band has evolved into something a bit darker, and it's been downing its creatine!

I'm sorry to hear that the sound for our show was wonky. I was hoping that was only a stage mix issue, but it doesn't sound like that was the case. We had a lot of fun playing, but I'm sure we've sounded better. Oh well: just an excuse for us to find our way back to Chicago in the near future!

I liked what I caught of Circuline, but they were one of the bands that (for me) suffered from the timing of their set. It's very hard to get the timing just right to catch everyone with this setup.

The Fringe's pedigree makes for a stellar live act. Each member is a band leader in their own right, and are thus equally qualified to take the lead when the moment calls for it. Their harmonies were spot-on, and Randy in particular impressed me with his vocals and guitar. Nick and Jonas are classy, showing restraint when appropriate and attacking diplomatically with some precision chops.

I'm not sure why Rikard Sjoblom isn't an automatic "wow" for me. I recognize the immense talent and impressive compositions, but I haven't quite fallen in love with the projects yet. I'm trying, because many of the faithful are people whose opinions I value and trust. I'm sure it will happen, and I probably need to live with some recordings to let the music sink in. Nonetheless, there was some obvious artistry and intensity on that stage.

Unfortunately, I saw The Security Project with Brian Cummins a few months back, and really prefer his voice on the Gabriel tunes. Happy Rhodes is a very talented vocalist, but she didn't display the passion for the material that Brian obviously has. It may be her personal performance style, but she seemed reserved almost throughout. Towards the end, she seemed to be having more fun, but it was a little too late for me. As a fan noted, the Gabriel melodies fall in a different place for a female voice than a male, so while Happy Rhodes commands a full five octaves, she doesn't have to push to hit notes that Gabriel has to belt. It changes the feel of the songs. It was still a lot of fun, and the band has the classic Gabriel songs tuned in and grooving big time.

Keneally is such a joy...the man radiates good humor and musical passion. He's like a kid at play, but he's doing the sickest, most mindbending stuff. His right hand man, Beller, seems to have a psychic link at this point. They know each other so well that they finish each others' thoughts. I had never seen Joe Travers with Mike, but what a monster talent! It was great to have NDV sit in for a few tunes as well. So much effortless talent onstage.

Sunday was a very jazzy, horn-y (stop it!) day. Highlight for me was Wave Mechanics Union, which, while ostensibly a cover band, are so fun. It's great to hear the layered, big-band harmonies and swinging rhythms applied to prog standards. I had to look at Gary Green (in the crowd) as WMU played a cover of "Think of Me with Kindness." It seemed to meet with his approval.

All in all, a fun but exhausting weekend of music with a real extended family vibe.

ELP Tribute thing? I posted elsewhere, but they really looked like they had a great time doing it, so good for them.

Curious of what people thought of Happy Rhodes with the Security Project?

K...
    I would pretty much agree with IZZ-Brian’s comments. The girl has an incredible voice and range, but I am just not sure how well it all worked. I think Brian may have hit the nail on the head with the “passion” comment. Gabriel’s material needs to be sung with a degree of passion / commitment and Rhodes did seem rather hesitant on stage at times. As Brian said also, she has such a wide vocal range that she does not really have to push at all to hit the notes that Gabriel did, and maybe that is also part of the equation. On the other hand, Rhodes has not been singing with them long, so maybe the stage craft part of the performance will develop over additional performances. They certainly did try to do re-interpretations of many of the tunes and not straight up copies, which I give them credit for. Again, I am not sure that it all worked, but some of them were pretty cool.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 10-26-2016 at 12:58 AM.

Wait. Happy Rhodes was there? Shoot! I love her, not literally, but you know. :-)
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Wait. Happy Rhodes was there? Shoot! I love her, not literally, but you know. :-)
    We wouldn't judge you either way... quite a lovely woman!

Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    We wouldn't judge you either way... quite a lovely woman!
    Someone told me at the show that she is 51. If that is true she is in amazing shape. I would have pegged her as someone in her 30's.

I have lost track, but I can recall at least 8 times I have them already, plus one Leslie solo show where D97 was her band and they covered a tune as well.
    Still got ya beat. But the strange but true is... have we met?

Still got ya beat. But the strange but true is... have we met?
    I don't think we've been introduced. I sort of have a hunch who you are, but not sure. I have read your book though!
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-26-2016 at 02:40 PM.

[QUOTE=SteveSly;632564]I agree about the D-97 keyboard player. I was sitting quite far back so could not tell what kind of keyboard he had on the top of his rig, but he was doing some very interesting things with it. Definitely brought a new dimension to their sound.

He was using a Korg Minilogue......I also own one and it can be really wild. I believe he may also have had a Moog Phatty to the left of that

I would pretty much agree with IZZ-Brian’s comments. The girl has an incredible voice and range, but I am just not sure how well it all worked. I think Brian may have hit the nail on the head with the “passion” comment. Gabriel’s material needs to be sung with a degree of passion / commitment and Rhodes did seem rather hesitant on stage at times. As Brian said also, she has such a wide vocal range that she does not really have to push at all to hit the notes that Gabriel did, and maybe that is also part of the equation. On the other hand, Rhodes has not been singing with them long, so maybe the stage craft part of the performance will develop over additional performances. They certainly did try to do re-interpretations of many of the tunes and not straight up copies, which I give them credit for. Again, I am not sure that it all worked, but some of them were pretty cool.
    She's not been singing with the group for too long, has she? Be interesting to see if she warms to the role more perhaps.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I don't think we've been introduced. I sort of have a hunch who you are, but not sure. I have read your book though!
    May need some graphic design help on the next cover....