Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are these essential Progressive Metal albums?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum most certainly is "progressive" in the truest sense of the word. They're a damn-sight more 'progressed' than any of the bands on that list.
    QFT again. Which essentially implies that they are not for the OP whatsoever.

They were one of the single most genuinely progressive groups of the 2000s, and sadly a token to the fact that there was limited interest in such virtues in modern rock music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hi Rufus

Hope the above lists are helping you out - Johnboy's one in particular is a list that I've used to try out bands like Karnivool, Isis and Neurosis, all of which I've enjoyed.

But if the sheer number of prog-metal bands feels overwhelming, my tip would be to refer to Jeff Wagner's recommended albums in this list:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jhyn/m...y_jeff_wagner/

His book includes a list of 50 recommended albums, some of which you'll have seen mentioned highly in other threads around here (eg Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater).

I had about half of the listed albums, and have since gone on to acquire the less familiar ones. It's really broadened my appreciation of what can be progressive and metal beyond the more traditional sounds of DT and the glut of bands that followed in the same style.

The book is well worth a read as well.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I might add Maudlin of the Well & Kayo Dot to that list too. Not metal in the true sense but awfully damn heavy.
    And again not something the OP would want in his life. Both fabulously progressive groups, though - as with SGM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

His book includes a list of 50 recommended albums, some of which you'll have seen mentioned highly in other threads around here (eg Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater).

I had about half of the listed albums, and have since gone on to acquire the less familiar ones. It's really broadened my appreciation of what can be progressive and metal beyond the more traditional sounds of DT and the glut of bands that followed in the same style.

Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Hi Rufus

Hope the above lists are helping you out - Johnboy's one in particular is a list that I've used to try out bands like Karnivool, Isis and Neurosis, all of which I've enjoyed.

But if the sheer number of prog-metal bands feels overwhelming, my tip would be to refer to Jeff Wagner's recommended albums in this list:

Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I still miss Anomaly
    oh yes, I must agree. one of my more difficult acquisitions. place I got it from sent this one twice

a2.jpg ...it's this one folks a1.jpg
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    oh yes, I must agree. one of my more difficult acquisitions. place I got it from sent this one twice

a2.jpg ...it's this one folks a1.jpg
    I partly discovered them. I was probably the first to write about them in a prog magazine. Have both a promotion copy of the album on CDR and a real version. I also have an early tape. The keyboardplayer plays nowadays in a cover-band.

I partly discovered them. I was probably the first to write about them in a prog magazine. Have both a promotion copy of the album on CDR and a real version. I also have an early tape. The keyboard player plays nowadays in a cover-band.
    that's cool! if you were inclined to do so, I wouldn't mind reading that. that would be Ivar, right? what about the rest of the band? thanx!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I think just before PE2 died, one of the last polls was "best Prog Metal album"

is there any way to retrieve that poll data, or is it lost forever?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I really like the Anomaly album...

but something which has not aged well is that gimmiky 'Kick Drum sound triggered by Guitar' thing that starts at 2:35 in that Yout clip

I still miss Anomaly
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    that's cool! if you were inclined to do so, I wouldn't mind reading that. that would be Ivar, right? what about the rest of the band? thanx!
    I don't know about the rest of the band. Rory Hanson played in some other band and worked in a musicstore, but that is allready quite some time ago.

I should look for the articles I wrote and translate them.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I think just before PE2 died, one of the last polls was "best Prog Metal album"

is there any way to retrieve that poll data, or is it lost forever?
    The polls are gone.
    Regards,

Duncan

I've pretty much drifted away from prog metal but for some reason I served up Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Gray today. That is one damn fine piece of work - timeless prog metal.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Its the only Fates I ever reach for these days.

I recall playing it for some friends who preferred more hyper proggy metal and they didn't dig it. Definitely not something just to slap on the turntable...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I dunno why it gets mentioned so rarely, but fear of a blank planet is a pretty good prog metal album

Oddly enough, noone mentioned Threshold who're labelled by many critics as the British answer to Dream Theater.

In my view, their "Hypothetical" is one of the most impressive prog-metal albums for 2000's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkl8dCQ-bts

Regarding Haken - they sound like a derivative clone of Threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Its the only Fates I ever reach for these days.

I recall playing it for some friends who preferred more hyper proggy metal and they didn't dig it. Definitely not something just to slap on the turntable...
    Some fans are not content unless there's a barrage of staccato riffs with double bass drums. For me, if I hear that cliche I'm on to something else. The interesting thing about Pleasant Shade and for that matter, a lot of Riverside's work, is the spaces between and the little Floyd touches.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart