Thread: Echo & the Bunnymen/The Smiths - I lack context

Echo & the Bunnymen/The Smiths - I lack context

I listened to a lot of different music back in the 80s but these were two bands that escaped my notice. A couple friends urged me to check them out and gave me CDs to rip. First few listens were just some albums in the background and other than the music being obviously 80s, it wasn't making a big impression. I do need to listen more closely but it occurs to me that I know nothing of either band, what they were known for, what to listen for, and what's their context in pop music history?

I thought about starting two separate threads but that seemed to be a bit much for OT. So, any fans? Anyone? Bueller?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am a fan of both

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I have listened to both these bands, but well after the time they were most popular. While I like the Smiths, I have no particular recommendations. I will leave that for someone else. I have a few Echo & The Bunnymen albums, all of which are good:

Crocodiles (1980)- I can't remember who recommended this to me, but it is the first one I bought.
    Ocean Rain (1984)
    Songs To Learn and Sing (1985)- A compilation.
    Self Titled (1987)
    Reverberation (1990) - Good title; reminds me of a Roky Erickson/13th Floor Elevators song of the same name, totally unrelated to this album. In fact, go get that instead. Reverberation is the only Echo album I have after singer Ian McCulloch left. So, not the place to start. But not bad.

I recommend them in the order listed. Stop any time they no longer interest you. The "Echo" in the band name refers to a drum machine they started out with in pre-recording days. I like them because of their neo-psychedelic sound and post-punk competence and intelligence.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The "Echo" in the band name refers to a drum machine they started out with in pre-recording days.
    Rik: I'm writing my MP!
    Neil: But you don't have an MP! You're an anarchist!
    Rik: Right! In that case, I shall write a letter to the lead singer of Echo And The Bunnymen...Dear, Mr. Echo...

Two favourites of mine from back in the day, I have everything they recorded.

The first 4 Bunnymen albums are essential in my view, Crocodiles, Heaven Up Here, Porcupine and Ocean Rain. They get more mellow as they progress. Live in those early days they were quite brilliant. From the same time and same city came The Teardrop Explodes, who had an even more 60's psych edge, both Kilimanjaro and Wilder are worth exploring, or the earlier singles collected on Piano.

The Smiths were different but became the torch bearers of the guitar band / independent era. There was hardly a mid-step in their relatively short career, but highlights are The Queen Is Dead and Hatful Of Hollow, which has the superlative How Soon Is Now? They were a live tour de force too.

I didn't really listen to prog in the 80's, other than those I loved from earlier times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    and what's their context in pop music history?
    In the USA, both The Smiths and The Cure were probably the two bands that emphasized the whole (College-aimed) "Alternative Music" trend in its 80s infancy....You can trace the roots of many sub genres, such as Shoegaze and 90s Britpop, directly to The Smiths

Two of my favorite 80's bands to this day..

Start with these;
    E & the B-men: Ocean Rain
    Smiths: very best of (imported CD w/23 songs on it)

And if you really want to dive in get: Crystal Days (by Echo)

Back in the day, "How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths was called the Alternative Rock "Stairway To Heaven.''

I would highly recommend tracking down the 2 best of CDs by the Smiths. They have pretty much all you'll meed to hear by them.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Smiths-Best-I/master/3965

https://www.discogs.com/The-Smiths-Best-II/master/21023

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Back in the day, "How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths was called the Alternative Rock "Stairway To Heaven.''
    Nowadays, it's called the theme from Charmed (and yes, I know that's a cover version).

I was always curious about The Smiths, at least, after reading an interview with Johnny Marr in Guitar Player not too long after the band dissolved. But I could never get past Morrissey's voice and persona. Yick!

Not that familiar with E&BM other than the song "lips like sugar" which I am pretty tired of. Ugh. The Smiths, on the other hand, I like a lot. Very good band who imo were a pioneering alternative band. They are one of the few bands(along with REM) I picked up from my older brother's taste in music.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Not that familiar with E&BM other than the song "lips like sugar" which I am pretty tired of.
    Wasn't that the Psych Furs? Echo had a minor hit with "Bring On The Dancing Horses." "The Killing Moon" got some airplay too.

Edit: No, you're right about "Lips Like Sugar." They were a little more visible than I thought.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 10-24-2016 at 08:15 PM.

No, the psychedelic furs did "Pretty in pink", "love my way" and "the ghost in you" and maybe one or two other well known songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    No, the psychedelic furs did "Pretty in pink", "love my way" and "the ghost in you" and maybe one or two other well known songs.
    It was always funny to me that they redid Pretty In Pink (presumably for legal reasons) for the movie of the same title. For one thing, the band's original lineup included a saxophonist, Duncan Kilburn, who said in one interview at the time of the original recording that he was proud of Pretty In Pink because it was the first time they had written a song that he didn't play sax on (instead he plays electric organ). But the version that they did a few years later, for the movie, by which time Kilburn had left the band, had a sax part in (mostly just doubling the guitar riff). I always thought that was a weird turn of events.

The other thing is, if you've ever actually read the lyric sheet for that song, you'd know that it has absolutely nothing to do with what the movie is about. I think Richard Butler even admitted he was singing about a promiscuous woman, not a girl who looks good in a pink dress (he even suggested in one interview that maybe he should have called it Pretty In The Buff). Reputedly, John Hughes was inspired to write the movie after hearing the song, but he clearly wasn't listening to the lyrics.

One more thought: Talk Talk Talk, the album Pretty In Pink was originally on, is a great album. One of my favorites of the post-punk/new wave era.

Oh and there's a prog connection here, as Gary Windo, an English saxophonist associated with the British jazz scene of the 70's, toured with Psychedelic Furs in the the early 80's (I guess around th etime Kilburn originally left the band). Back in the late 70's, he began work on a never finished solo album that was produced by Nick Mason, and as I recall, the participants also included Steve Hillage and Hugh Hopper. Windo even did a recording of Psychedelic Furs' Dumb Waiters, which was issued (along with the recordings that were made for the solo record) on a Cuneiform disc entitled His Master's Bones.

Echo did a great cover of the Doors' "People Are Strange" for the 80s cult classic Lost Boys.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    One more thought: Talk Talk Talk, the album Pretty In Pink was originally on, is a great album. One of my favourites of the post-punk/new wave era.
    It is indeed a great album as is their self titled release. Pretty In Pink is one of my favourite songs of any era, but because of the teen movie tie-in I think it is not given the kudos it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Echo did a great cover of the Doors' "People Are Strange" for the 80s cult classic Lost Boys.
    I never really warmed to their cover, I always preferred the darker vibe of their earlier post-punk releases, especially Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here. They are a band I have seen live so many times though, and always give a good account of themselves, lots of attitude and great tunes. They still are worth seeing, but nothing like as intense as the original foursome.

Can't we slide New Order in here someplace. Bunnymen--Crystal Days?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Although I like songs from both bands, they're not in my collection.
    The most close I came to buy one after seeing Donnie Darko:

The Smiths are a great band. Highly recommend. Suggest starting with the first album, and going forward from there.

Interesting how enduring The Smiths are too. My girlfriends daughter turns 16 this week and wants to start collecting vinyl, and so for her birthday I have bought her a portable turntable, and asked what she would like to spin on it, she chose The Smiths so I have picked up The World Won't Listen double vinyl to kick start her collection.