Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CAN: later albums worth checking out?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I am also really digging Soon Over Babaluma. A lot. Any fans of this particular album?
    Yes. Perfectly chilled out album. Groovy and spacey, the tunes float on by.

I'd say it's my favorite Can album but then I'd probably get kicked out of the cool guys' club (by the way, when am I going to get invited to the cool guys' club???).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Interesting... since starting this thread a while back, I have mostly completed my CAN collection with all of their studio output (Delay 1968 through to Rite Time) as well as Unlimited Edition, The Lost Tapes and the recently released The Singles. Despite some of the later albums not even holding a candle to the classic first six or so, I found a decent amount to like on each album. No regrets in expanding the collection of this band!

I'd like to get the BBC Sessions, but I don't know if there's really much beyond that that I need. I'm open to further suggestions...
    Did you ever pick up The Lost Tapes box? Some fuller, but lots of quality material to satisfy those looking for more.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...he-lost-tapes/
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Did you ever pick up The Lost Tapes box? Some fuller, but lots of quality material to satisfy those looking for more.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...he-lost-tapes/
    Yes, I mentioned that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm a big fanboy, here's my take on the Can catalogue...

Great:
    Tago Mago
    Ege Bamyasi
    Future Days
    Soon Over Babaluma

Almost Great:
    Monster Movie
    Landed
    Saw Delight

Some Great Cuts:
    Limited/Unlimited Edition
    Flow Motion
    Can
    Soundtracks
    Rite Time

Mediocre:
    Out of Reach

All the subsequent archival releases are worth getting too:
    the DVDs, the BBC, Can Live, and the Lost Tapes

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, I mentioned that.
    Ha. Totally missed that.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

Mediocre:
    Out of Reach
    Even the band dislike this one.

From the CAN book

"The LP will disappoint everybody, to begin with the musicians themselves"

"I am very disappointed, it is not a good record" (Karoli)

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us

Future Days appreciation blog post.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Future Days
    Having it now along with Scotch. No one else were as free and equally as sophisticated as this - and in 1973? Unbelievable.

An aspect I always wanted to address, however, was the concept of 'improv'. with the Can gang MO. Because yeah, they were studio- as well as stage jammers, and there can come a lot of fantastic stuff out of that, yet with Can there's sometimes an overt impression that this particular asset was often adapted in retrospect by the post-punk Wire generation in order for it all to appear more artistically legitimate in accordance with current 'aestehtic hipness ethics'. Even a tune as loose but structurally stringent as "Yoo Doo Right" - not to mention the sometimes very arranged-sounding "Bel Air" - are attributed to 'improv'. Possibly in the sense of post-processing (courtesy Holger, of course, who was impeccable at that), still, much of it amounts to obvious idea-implementation - whether originating in freeplay or not. Anyone who's ever played in an improv unit would know how this principle works; you "find" the the impulse while jamming, and then you refine it afterwards.

Was there ever a book on Can, a separate piece outlining this aspect? Anyone? I've been listening to them for nearly 30 years and think the world of them, I'm just wondering.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Having it now along with Scotch. No one else were as free and equally as sophisticated as this - and in 1973? Unbelievable.

An aspect I always wanted to address, however, was the concept of 'improv'. with the Can gang MO. Because yeah, they were studio- as well as stage jammers, and there can come a lot of fantastic stuff out of that, yet with Can there's sometimes an overt impression that this particular asset was often adapted in retrospect by the post-punk Wire generation in order for it all to appear more artistically legitimate in accordance with current 'aestehtic hipness ethics'. Even a tune as loose but structurally stringent as "Yoo Doo Right" - not to mention the sometimes very arranged-sounding "Bel Air" - are attributed to 'improv'. Possibly in the sense of post-processing (courtesy Holger, of course, who was impeccable at that), still, much of it amounts to obvious idea-implementation - whether originating in freeplay or not. Anyone who's ever played in an improv unit would know how this principle works; you "find" the the impulse while jamming, and then you refine it afterwards.
    Great insightful post Richard (as usual). That is a very interesting prospect re: the influence of their "brand" of improvisation.

I've heard Future Days many times this week, and it has seemed to enter a new category for me - one that I place in the highest regard of albums. Its truly a masterpiece of the genre, and there doesn't seem to be a single moment out-of-place or overwelcoming its stay or containing any twee moments, etc. Its all created with a vision in mind and Holger has outdone himself on this work. The overall slightly laid-back feel of this album isn't something that can be created at will either, imo, yet its not without a real keen sense of energy. An absolute joy of an album, and I have no qualms placing this thing along any of the best albums of the era.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Count me in as another Soon Over Babaluma booster, in my top 3 of Can albums alongside Ege Bamyasi and Future Days.

I could just wrap my heart around Future Days, incidentally. Has a Krautrock album ever achieved such beauty? “Bel Air” is the sound of heaven. When it fades out, then fades back in again, it could go on for another twenty minutes, or twenty hours, as far as I’m concerned.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    (by the way, when am I going to get invited to the cool guys' club???).
    I have no idea because I'll never become a member either, but I think you can start by dressing like Jim in the Rotten Shed, and then listen to Can - not the band - but put your ear up to an actual empty can of baked beans and see if it explains any clues for you.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

There was quite a lot of post production done by Czukay on those Can jams lots of edits and manipulations

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    There was quite a lot of post production done by Czukay on those Can jams lots of edits and manipulations
    Which is, of course, a large part of why their albums are so brilliant. I think Holger was really the visionary in that band.