Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Kate Bush thread

I don't know much about Kate and am not overly familiar with her music. I did notice she is on the cover of the latest Mojo magazine though.

Just picked up "Before The Dawn" used at a local record store for $9.99; I was waiting for a great price, and that IS a great price! Someone had removed the staples from the booklet; I hope that doesn't mean one or more of the pages is missing! Also, there's some gunk on the discs that I'll have to carefully clean off. I think the "helicopter" she refers to in the photo she took is actually a drone. Over on the Hoffman forum, people are complaining about both the LP and CD versions having too much bass, so we'll see...

Well, listened to all three discs... there is a LOT of bass as I mentioned in my previous comment. Had to do a lot of attenuating of low frequencies. Certainly some great material, though I have just as much trouble getting through "A Sky of Honey" live as I do getting through the studio version on disc two of "Aerial". Long tracks with no melodies, just chord progressions repeated over and over. There is a new song thrown in that suite ("Tawny Moon"), which has great music but is sung by a male vocalist whose style seems like a poor fit here. Good thing I only paid ten bucks for this album.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Well, listened to all three discs... there is a LOT of bass as I mentioned in my previous comment. Had to do a lot of attenuating of low frequencies. Certainly some great material, though I have just as much trouble getting through "A Sky of Honey" live as I do getting through the studio version on disc two of "Aerial". Long tracks with no melodies, just chord progressions repeated over and over. There is a new song thrown in that suite ("Tawny Moon"), which has great music but is sung by a male vocalist whose style seems like a poor fit here. Good thing I only paid ten bucks for this album.
    Thanks for the review. I asked this earlier in this thread with no answer: "How is the live version of "A Sky of Honey"? I really dislike most of the studio version, finding it very tame and repetitive. Is there any more variance to the live version? Does she use a better male vocalist? "

I think you've answered my questions for me. Too bad.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    There is a new song thrown in that suite ("Tawny Moon"), which has great music but is sung by a male vocalist whose style seems like a poor fit here.
    That's Kate's son (who is still in his teens)

I bought the vinyl. The mix is certainly odd. Lots of low frequency information - too much in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Sorry to have alarmed anybody, I was just going with the view she expressed on the BBC. Knowing how glacially slow she operates, it seemed like never to me.

I would love to see this documented in it's visual splendour, and am surprised that she feels a live disc is the best representation. Of course essentially it starts with the music, but she is such a visual artist too that the two halves can seem equally important. Plus fir the millions who couldn't get tickets, it would be giving us an opportunity to partially experience the magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I couldn't even find a bootleg of the video, dagnabit. Anyone?

Here's the promo video they played at the concert before Ninth Wave at least
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_256xd9N27o
    Last edited by Wah3; 12-23-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Sure, but not everyone puts on an extra 200 pounds, right?
    It's a sensitive issue, and often especially for women who were svelt in their youth.
    Jane Fonda, Cher, Madonna kept have kept their figures basically intact and look great into their golden years.
    What a stupid comment - so she put on weight - so what? Is she still a supremely talented artist. The examples you provide are extreme. It's the same with Peter Gabriel - I saw him this summer and he's still a captivating performer. 200 pounds is an extreme exaggeration. I don't find Madonna or Cher to be remotely attractive but I focus on the spirit of the person.

Ember
    She sounds great. She should take her inspiration from Ann Wilson of Heart, whose struggle with body-image expectations had a negative impact on her work and her voice. Wilson, as a singer, really came into her own only after she found her personal equilibrium. Then she discovered her fans didn't care, and probably never had.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    She sounds great. She should take her inspiration from Ann Wilson of Heart, whose struggle with body-image expectations had a negative impact on her work and her voice. Wilson, as a singer, really came into her own only after she found her personal equilibrium. Then she discovered her fans didn't care, and probably never had.
    Exactly.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure Skullhead is trying to get peoples' goat for whatever reason. I totally disagree as well.

FWIW, I find the live version of Sky of Honey way better than the studio version. The songs have life and energy.

As for the audio/mix/bass, it sounds kinda muddy in my car but the vinyl sounds great on my higher end setup at home.

Kate Bush's Facebook page posted a live cover of Cloudbusting by someone named Solange. It's totally unmusical to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Kate Bush's Facebook page posted a live cover of Cloudbusting by someone named Solange. It's totally unmusical to my ears.
    Solange covered "Cloudbusting"?! What the heck?

Whether you like her version or not, you have to admit it's an impressive choice at least.

btw, she is Beyonce Knowles' younger sister.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Solange covered "Cloudbusting"?! What the heck?

Whether you like her version or not, you have to admit it's an impressive choice at least.

btw, she is Beyonce Knowles' younger sister.
    Wow, they both have only one name! Wait, Beyonce has a last name?

Wow, they both have only one name! Wait, Beyonce has a last name?

I've no idea how I knew, as it's not like I keep up with the mainstream music scene.

Maybe if my first name was uncommon enough I could go around on a first-name basis too. Alas, that's not the case...

I wonder if it bothers Beyoncé that her sister started going around using just one name too. But I can't remember which was Salt and which was Pepa anyway.

Seems to me Beyoncé could take a lesson or two from her much more talented younger sister.
    ...I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not.
    AC

Nice pic, eh? Just posted on Kate’s FB page regarding the coming of Spring. Such a beauty... :

Such a cute lady. And incredibly talented. While it doesn't surpass The Dreaming or The Sensual World, her album Aerial was quite a comeback IMO. Some incredibly beautiful stuff on that one.

Her masterpieces are "Song of Delius," "Houdini" and "The Ninth Wave."

A stunning artist.

Hoping that one year, she'll release a video of the UK shows.

Somebody on Sirius XM said today that Kate is going to be doing some touring. Was this previously mentioned here?

Somebody on Sirius XM said today that Kate is going to be doing some touring. Was this previously mentioned here?
    I have not heard that but goddamn I hope she does. I've seen tons of shows and Before The Dawn is easily in the top 5.

He even said "possibly in the US," but that sounded sort of pulled from thin air.